Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat, i was thinking of grabbing one next week.

The new MaltZilla grain mills will be a really good option especially if you want to purchase a mill with the integrated motor. We should have the first shipment of them arriving in about 2 weeks and all of the first batch will be sold with integrated motor. We will probably eventually just sell the mills separately so you can power them with a drill too but the first ones to arrive are all integrated.

For the mini kegs, are you able to force carb on their side?

I.e. there are no issues with the co2 going through the liquid rather than the headspace then into the liquid?

Yes this is no worries at all. You can certainly do that if you want to.

Can you make a kit up like this so that brewers could utilise an existing corny keg? I.e. I imagine most of the components will be in the lid - water in input etc... A 5-10L keg would be a perfect size and would ensure it stays cold as more water is added! Might get it to market quicker than prototyping, blow molding etc the new vessel? (and would remain an attractive alternative for those that already have a spare keg or surplus of kegs!)

We will take that into consideration. It seems to be working out at the moment that the carbonation tank will be very small. However if you use a lot of carbonated water then you can use a corny keg inline as a water chilling tank that sits inside the fridge. So the water would go through this before the carbonation tank.

We will take that into consideration. It seems to be working out at the moment that the carbonation tank will be very small. However if you use a lot of carbonated water then you can use a corny keg inline as a water chilling tank that sits inside the fridge. So the water would go through this before the carbonation tank.

This sounds so awesome I'm very excited by this. 2x kegs in my fridge are currently occupied by sparkling water, so I only have 2x beers on tap. This would solve this issue.

I know of at least 5 sales you'd get immediately. This would also be very useful for small bars and cafes.

Is there a way of getting a spare stir bar for the stir plate? I've managed to lose mine...

If you are talking about the carbonation we have been working on a simple carbonation kit that you install into your fridge so it uses the cooling power of your fridge to operate. All you need to do is run water at about 80-150psi into the fridge and gas into your fridge at 30-60psi. So you need to drill a couple small fridges in your fridge. This carbonation kit will probably end up costing about $100 or less. It's really quite a simple device but it works really well. It probably wont be released until the end of the year. We are actually looking to use one of the lid components from the FermZilla as the lid for this carbonation kit:
80+ psi is higher than new installations are allowed to provide (~70psi max). Might need a re-design so more people can make use of it. IIRC water providers only need to give 20-30 psi minimum (varies from place to place).

Hi Kegland.

Are your knock out die and punch suitable to use on a DIN style keggle? Or is that asking a bit much from the punch?

How long does this take to carbonate a keg at serving pressure?

https://www.kegland.com.au/carbonation-keg-lid-with-2-micron-diffusion-stone.html

Presume the oxygen you'd let in when swapping over the lids isnt significant in the scheme of things?
Depends how involved you are. If you just apply pressure through the gas port, it will take quite a while (not sure exactly how long, but the beer was good to go after a week on the gas). If you're in a hurry, shake the keg. Or force carbonate the beer through the liquid port, which has a similar (but lesser) effect to the carbonation stone you linked. In an emergency, do both.

I can remember force carbonating 50L of pale ale in a couple of minutes. Job done just before the first guest turned up. Picture a couple of six foot, burly blokes shaking a full 50L keg between them at chest height ("To you! To me! To you!" etc) as hard as we could. Bloody good workout :phew:.

I needed a beer after that :drinkingbeer:!

Back