Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do also have this solution available in the future but it's still a couple months away:
https://www.kegland.com.au/rapt-temperature-controlled-fermentation-chamber-fridge.html
Also we are assuming that some people will not necessarily have the budget for this type of dedicated fridge.

This looks brilliant - just what I’m after. A sleek, aesthetically pleasing fermentation fridge that can hold a decent number of fermenters. Looking forward to the units being released!

We do not get much call for the Carahell. We rarely get asked for it and most people seem happy with the Carapills. With that said if it's something a lot of you guys want then we will look at it. We have been making some changes to the range and we are going to reduce the Joe White that we stock as we really just find that the quality is not as good. We are going to start pushing the Barrett Burson malts more in future as they are still quite good value but really better quality than Joe White.

How many other guys our there would really like to see Carahell? Would be keen to get your input on this guys?

I use carahell in my lagers. I had to get it from craftbrewer as none of my lhbs stock it.

How are most people taking gravity samples with the fermzilla? Have just put the first batch through my fermzilla and I used my picnic tap connected to the liquid ball lock, but it was messy as hell because of all the foam (only fermenting on 5psi too). I am going to try taking the sample from the collection container next time.

Yes would agree. We use this method and it works great for Number 2.

For the closed boil kettle transfer kit. What is the main reason you want to do this? Is this because you are concerned about oxygen in the boil kettle? This is not normally an issue.

Number 3 is a bit difficult due to the wide range of different fridge sizes. I think we might have to look at a wire stand where the width can be adjusted so it can fit into various fridge widths. What do you think? We do also have this solution available in the future but it's still a couple months away:
https://www.kegland.com.au/rapt-temperature-controlled-fermentation-chamber-fridge.html
Also we are assuming that some people will not necessarily have the budget for this type of dedicated fridge.
Will this RAPT fridge be able to interface with Brewfather?

How are most people taking gravity samples with the fermzilla? Have just put the first batch through my fermzilla and I used my picnic tap connected to the liquid ball lock, but it was messy as hell because of all the foam (only fermenting on 5psi too). I am going to try taking the sample from the collection container next time.
Pressure transfer a little bit into a pet bottle. Then shake to release the co2.

@KegLand-com-au I've been using the bucket blaster for the past week and it seems like a good unit, although I'm a bit surprised it doesn't come with a spray ball. I added my own (as I'd already had a DIY CIP setup) and it seems to do a better job. The improvement is especially noticeable with cubes and fermenters.

I also found that using the 65L robo as a container instead of the pail worked well (pre-warmed, no elements running while cleaning). I'm thinking of putting a flexible hose on next time to allow for easier post-brewing cleanup.

Do you have any plans to add a sprayball, or any other attachments for CIP?

When talking about the Bucket Blaster from our experience the spray balls do not cover the inside of the tanks better than the jet that we use at the moment. The jet is less complicated, has no bearings to get hops stuck in and stop spinning and also for particularly tall tanks such as the 60L FermZilla All Rounder and 55L FermZilla Conical the spray balls were significantly worse. For example if you open up the butterfly valve in the FermZilla the current Bucket Blaster will spray into the collection container however with the spray ball it will not do a good job of this. In addition to this the spray balls that we tried also reduced the flow through the ball lock disconnects so if you were cleaning keg posts at the same time it was not as good a solution. With that said which design of spray ball were you using. Perhaps we should also try the model you have to see if this is better than the tests that we have done.

Using a 65L BrewZilla is a great idea so you can clean the brewery at the same time. I will have to give this a go next time myself.

Will this RAPT fridge be able to interface with Brewfather?

We have been talking to Thomas from Brewfather and I think it's highly likely we have some integration here. We need to do more work with Thomas once we finish the software development on our end.

We really like the Brewfather software and for any of you guys that are still using BeerSmith I would highly recommend giving it a go as it makes water chemistry a snap.

As we have more internet connected devices we will also hope to continue to work with Thomas at Brewfather to integrate these too.

Something able to be pressurized with Glycol cooling options and I wouldnt be against stainless :p

Might have to wait till you bring something out

Yes we have a few options here in the pipeline so hopefully we have something for you later this year.

the pressure rating on these new ones will be lower than the plastic FermZilla units but with that said some people just want stainless.

The easiest way to de-gas a sample is to purchase a cheap 100ml syringe:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...00ml+syringe.TRS0&_nkw=100ml+syringe&_sacat=0

Fill about 50ml in the 100ml syringe then pull the syringe out and this will create a vacuum and degas the sample quite fast. I find this is quite a fast way to degas and improve the accuracy of hydrometer readings.

The problem wasn’t necessarily that there was gas in the sample (I can quite easily get that out), the problem was that when I pulled the sample I was getting all foam and no liquid, which eventually overflowed when I was trying to pull enough liquid for the hydrometer you float (I use a 250ml glass cylinder).

I wouldn’t mind a PET cap style simple tap, similar to those used on the old bucket fermenters......

The problem wasn’t necessarily that there was gas in the sample (I can quite easily get that out), the problem was that when I pulled the sample I was getting all foam and no liquid, which eventually overflowed when I was trying to pull enough liquid for the hydrometer you float (I use a 250ml glass cylinder).

I wouldn’t mind a PET cap style simple tap, similar to those used on the old bucket fermenters......

You just need a bigger vessel to take the sample into... I use a 500ml glass. FIll that up, it may be foamy but let it settle then you have enough to pour into your hydro cylinder. To de-gas I pour back and fourth between glasses letting it settle out each time

When talking about the Bucket Blaster from our experience the spray balls do not cover the inside of the tanks better than the jet that we use at the moment. The jet is less complicated, has no bearings to get hops stuck in and stop spinning and also for particularly tall tanks such as the 60L FermZilla All Rounder and 55L FermZilla Conical the spray balls were significantly worse. For example if you open up the butterfly valve in the FermZilla the current Bucket Blaster will spray into the collection container however with the spray ball it will not do a good job of this. In addition to this the spray balls that we tried also reduced the flow through the ball lock disconnects so if you were cleaning keg posts at the same time it was not as good a solution. With that said which design of spray ball were you using. Perhaps we should also try the model you have to see if this is better than the tests that we have done.

Using a 65L BrewZilla is a great idea so you can clean the brewery at the same time. I will have to give this a go next time myself.
From what I could see, the jet doesn't do much to lift organic matter in kegs that are further from 1/3 of the way up a corny - and even less when cleaning a brewbucket. I didn't notice a significant pressure drop in the disconnects but I'll check this out. I actually pulled out one of the disconnects and attached the line (with an adaptor) to the tap of my brewbucket to help clean that too.

The style of spray ball I have is one of these - not this exact product but picked it up for $15-20 a little while ago: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SS304-R...ank-Cleaning-Female-NPT-1-2-Inch/223318256860

Stuffed up pretty badly today - was going to dump the yeast and dry hop (beer down to 1.011), but I accidentally tightened the collection container instead of undoing it. I assumed because the collar goes left to tighten and the dump valve goes right to tighten, that the collection container would also go left to tighten. Sooo I figured it wasn’t coming off because of pressure (which I had released, and continued to stupidly tighten it soooo hard that it is now most likely never coming off.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I have struggled with it for HOURS once I figured it out, and it is honestly never coming off (probably stripped it or something). I have dry hopped, and will probably just have to keep the butterfly valve closed and crash as is, transfer, clean, then take it fully apart and try again.

EDIT: oh, and before anyone asks, yes I’ve released the pressure from the collection jar and have left the cap screwed very loosely - the jar is half full with yeast and trub.

Stuffed up pretty badly today - was going to dump the yeast and dry hop (beer down to 1.011), but I accidentally tightened the collection container instead of undoing it. I assumed because the collar goes left to tighten and the dump valve goes right to tighten, that the collection container would also go left to tighten. Sooo I figured it wasn’t coming off because of pressure (which I had released, and continued to stupidly tighten it soooo hard that it is now most likely never coming off.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I have struggled with it for HOURS once I figured it out, and it is honestly never coming off (probably stripped it or something). I have dry hopped, and will probably just have to keep the butterfly valve closed and crash as is, transfer, clean, then take it fully apart and try again.

EDIT: oh, and before anyone asks, yes I’ve released the pressure from the collection jar and have left the cap screwed very loosely - the jar is half full with yeast and trub.

Maybe an oil filter removal clamp style tool? Would that help?

@KegLand-com-au I've been using the bucket blaster for the past week and it seems like a good unit, although I'm a bit surprised it doesn't come with a spray ball. I added my own (as I'd already had a DIY CIP setup) and it seems to do a better job. The improvement is especially noticeable with cubes and fermenters.

I also found that using the 65L robo as a container instead of the pail worked well (pre-warmed, no elements running while cleaning). I'm thinking of putting a flexible hose on next time to allow for easier post-brewing cleanup.

Do you have any plans to add a sprayball, or any other attachments for CIP?

Hey Kegland, the pump manual says not to use it with water >35 deg C. Is this accurate?

Is there any chance of a PET plastic keg around the 25 litre mark that is the same height as a corny keg? I always seem to end up around the 23-25 litres on my brews and don't know what to do with the last few litres that don't make it to the keg. Being the same height as a normal corny would make fitting them into kegerators easier.

Also a hop bomb with integrated magnet in the base to make dry hopping a bit easier would be cool.

I won't be back home till the 31/3 if they let me back in the country.
Worried about stock running out and having to wait months. Can I pay For an order and have the shipping delayed?

Latest posts

Back