Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of cost. If we removed all the accessories from this kit:
https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-flat-bottom-fermenter-home-brew-beginners-starter-kit.html
Then sold this just as a fermenter, airlock and temp sticker then we would be able to sell these for about $29.95

If we compare this to these HDPE ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/30l-hdpe-fermenter-kit.html

You can see the price is $24.95 so it's really similar.

If customers really wanted we can pre-fit taps to the FermZilla Flat Bottom but I am afraid this really makes the vessel far less sanitary.
A $5 price difference is probably OK in most cases -- there will always be a small percentage who choose the absolute cheapest option.

I'm not suggesting a tap be fitted, but the need to also purchase the syphon will add an extra cost to the final product which has to be considered.

Overall I reckon you'd be pretty right with ditching the HDPE fermenters. People will still be able to buy them if they wish -- it's not like they will cease to exist if you don't stock them.

Any update on the high temperature variations of the Fermzilla?

The guys in the blow moulding plant have been working fairly hard to get the other designs into production such as the All Rounders, Flat Bottom etc. So the high temperature tanks will proceed once we have a bit more available time. Also leading into Christmas now means that we have got quite a lot of orders starting to bank up at the blow moulding plant so these take priority.

We have not forgotten about this and it's still something we plan to do but I think we will need to get back into more R&D on the high temp tanks after Christmas. We already started blowing a few but the ones we did try required a lot more work and maybe even new moulds.

A $5 price difference is probably OK in most cases -- there will always be a small percentage who choose the absolute cheapest option.

I'm not suggesting a tap be fitted, but the need to also purchase the syphon will add an extra cost to the final product which has to be considered.

Overall I reckon you'd be pretty right with ditching the HDPE fermenters. People will still be able to buy them if they wish -- it's not like they will cease to exist if you don't stock them.

Great. Thanks for the feedback. We might have to stock both simultaneously in that case for a while.

What is the temperature of your glycol solution?
I am using a single KL G40 to maintain temperatures across 2 x 200L jacketed uni-tanks (also procured from KL). I have managed to crash cool one fermenter from around 20C to 2C which took about 4-5 hours while maintaining the other (already crash cooled) fermenter at 2C. I haven't had any difficulty maintaining the temp across both fermenters at 2C though the ambient temperatures have not exceeded 20C during this time, over summer I'm sure it would be a bit more of a struggle.

Having said that, my jacketed unitanks would not be a fair like for like comparison with an un-jacketed unitank that uses a neoprene parker for insulation and an internal coil for heat exchange.

I'm curious to know what price you are looking at paying for your unjacketed 1BBL fermenter because KL offer very reasonable prices on jacketed pro equipment. I also have a 100L unjacketed SS conical fermenter that has now been relegated to a very expensive cleaning solution vessel in place of my new jacketed unitanks.

any idea when the all rounder will be in stock?

We have been doing a lot of testing on the All Rounders and the moulds are all working well but have a small seam line in where the moulds come together. So we are doing some final polishing on the moulds at the moment. So once this final polishing process is complete we will start the production runs of these and I think the stock will arrive in Springvale some time in late November.

The 30L will be released first and then the 60L model will follow a few weeks later.

This is not a product normally sold in Australia. The way the Australian standards AS5034 is written it makes it very complicated to have relief valve on every keg coupler. I believe some time ago one of the relief valves on the keg coupler leaked and someone died in a closed cellar and this caused parts of the standards to get re-written. So in Australia we generally don't sell couplers with relief valve on the coupler.

These types of couplers are still common in America and some other countries but definitely not Australia.

@KegLand-com-au Any plans to sell float valves to go with your RO system for storage tanks?

Also, what's up with the weird pseudoscience about minerals in the body on the RO system description page?
RO water purifications systems will reduce and eliminate TDS (total dissolved solids) like salts and minerals from our drinking water. However contrary to common beliefs, less than 1% of the organic minerals are actually found in most raw water supplies. With the increase of pollutants, our water supply contains mostly inorganic minerals. Inorganic minerals consist of calcium, iron, magnesium, carbonate and lime compounds, which are not compatible with our bodies. The body’s cells reject theses minerals leaving dissolved inorganic substances (acid crystals – minerals deposits) throughout the body.

This accumulation of debris creates more work and trouble for the body, such as arthritis in joints, gallstones, kidney stones and mineral deposits in artery walls. Organic minerals that are considered soluble, which means the body absorbs sustenance into the cells, are found in our live foods such as fruits & vegetables. One glass of freshly squeezed orange juice would be higher in minerals than 30 gallons of untreated raw water. Purified water provides a necessary rinsing treatment for hydration purposes as our body is mostly fluid (over 80% water) and equally important to rinse impurities out of our body.

"This is a FANTASTIC and PRACTICAL gift idea for friends and family"

Drinking purified water both prevents inorganic minerals from entering our bodies and removes inorganic mineral deposits already there.

@KegLand-com-au Any plans to sell float valves to go with your RO system for storage tanks?

Also, what's up with the weird pseudoscience about minerals in the body on the RO system description page?
RO water purifications systems will reduce and eliminate TDS (total dissolved solids) like salts and minerals from our drinking water. However contrary to common beliefs, less than 1% of the organic minerals are actually found in most raw water supplies. With the increase of pollutants, our water supply contains mostly inorganic minerals. Inorganic minerals consist of calcium, iron, magnesium, carbonate and lime compounds, which are not compatible with our bodies. The body’s cells reject theses minerals leaving dissolved inorganic substances (acid crystals – minerals deposits) throughout the body.

This accumulation of debris creates more work and trouble for the body, such as arthritis in joints, gallstones, kidney stones and mineral deposits in artery walls. Organic minerals that are considered soluble, which means the body absorbs sustenance into the cells, are found in our live foods such as fruits & vegetables. One glass of freshly squeezed orange juice would be higher in minerals than 30 gallons of untreated raw water. Purified water provides a necessary rinsing treatment for hydration purposes as our body is mostly fluid (over 80% water) and equally important to rinse impurities out of our body.

Drinking purified water both prevents inorganic minerals from entering our bodies and removes inorganic mineral deposits already there.
I'd dare say it's just a copy and paste from the website of where they source them from
I did a google search on part of this word vomit and it seems to be on a whole bunch of RO providers sites and on a few of the crazy "WHARRGARRBL FLOURIDE IS BIG GOVERNMENT MIND CONTROL" style sites

Yeah that's a good point. The company that supplies us the filter system also supplies the product description for our Complete RO Water Filtration System but I would agree this is a big claim to say that it has any effect on kidney stones, arthritis etc. So I have removed this. Thanks for the heads up. I really hate this type of information. At the end of the day I don't think we have enough evidence to say RO water will make you any healthier. The only reason we sell it is so brewers can start with a known water source.

I guess you can go two ways about it. You can get a water test kit but this costs about as much or slightly more than the RO system and then if you have a mineral that is too high you still have to remove it anyway. So in our opinion it's just easier to get the RO system and start with a clean slate.

We have just installed one of the RO systems at our factory in Springvale for this reason. I mean Melbourne water is generally pretty good anyway and our water in Springvale is already pretty soft. With that said the staff wanted it so we thought we would do it anyway.

We have been considering offering you guys free RO water. Do you think you guys would want this? So when you pickup an order from our automated locker system you can go into the secured area and fill up some containers of RO water if you like. Please let us know if this is a service that you would find useful.

Yeah that's a good point. The company that supplies us the filter system also supplies the product description for our Complete RO Water Filtration System but I would agree this is a big claim to say that it has any effect on kidney stones, arthritis etc. So I have removed this. Thanks for the heads up. I really hate this type of information. At the end of the day I don't think we have enough evidence to say RO water will make you any healthier. The only reason we sell it is so brewers can start with a known water source.

I guess you can go two ways about it. You can get a water test kit but this costs about as much or slightly more than the RO system and then if you have a mineral that is too high you still have to remove it anyway. So in our opinion it's just easier to get the RO system and start with a clean slate.

We have just installed one of the RO systems at our factory in Springvale for this reason. I mean Melbourne water is generally pretty good anyway and our water in Springvale is already pretty soft. With that said the staff wanted it so we thought we would do it anyway.

We have been considering offering you guys free RO water. Do you think you guys would want this? So when you pickup an order from our automated locker system you can go into the secured area and fill up some containers of RO water if you like. Please let us know if this is a service that you would find useful.

Nice idea with the free RO water :) Can't say I'd order more frequently just for it, but I'd certainly fill a keg worth when visiting.

@KegLand-com-au ever throught about doing Cornelius keg posts (liquid primarily) with barbs like the carb caps / fermzilla ones. Would make floating dip tubes better and be less likely to get clogged (as opposed to inside a gas / shortened dip tube).

@KegLand-com-au any plans on making something similar to these in the duotight range? A push fit fitting instead of a barb would be brilliant. Hard to find in australia and for some reason ridiculously expensive for what it is.
beer-gas-tubing-quick-disconnect-in-line-w-shut-off-set-vermont-homebrew-supply-3647526010953_2048x2048.jpg

@huez is that a quick disconnect? Is it suitable for gas?

Yeah, beer or gas. Can apparently take 120psi and have a shut off, so you can disconnect it under pressure. Most american homebrew stores stock the set for $15usd but i can only find them sold separately for like 20bucks each side!

@KegLand-com-au any plans on making something similar to these in the duotight range? A push fit fitting instead of a barb would be brilliant. Hard to find in australia and for some reason ridiculously expensive for what it is.
I've just bought 4 sets of these fittings for motorbike fuel fittings
Only difference being mine are male threaded/female valved disconnect and male barb/male unvalved disconnect
I searched high and low for weeks to find a source on Aliexpress to no avail
Then after talking to a mate who'd done the same thing a while back, he got some via a seller on Aliexpress that sells nipple/genital pumps
Turns out they use the same fittings on that gear
I think I paid about $5 USD per set
I found them on Alibaba under "DVT Fittings", but minimum orders were usually 500 units at about $0.50 - $2 USD per set depending on volumes. And I couldn't be arsed ordering samples
There were a few on eBay under their usual name "Colder Fittings" but they were super expensive

@huez is that a quick disconnect? Is it suitable for gas?
Suitable for liquid and gas

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back