Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a cheap flowmeter but saying that I only have enough flow to have bubbles just breaking the surface. Any more gas is wasted

A flow meter is a good thing to have otherwise its kinds like shooting in the dark with how much oxygen you are adding. We do have these flow meters but perhaps we should make this flow meter part of the oxygen kit bundle.

If you are using a pressure fermenter then you can do something like this which is what I have built:
img_20190905_183628.jpg

This means you can have a closed fermenter and you might have a better idea what you are dosing into the fermenter if you can at least limit what you are blowing off. Also when the fermenter is under pressure it should theoretically absorb the oxygen a better.

If you had very accurate scales you could also weight the gas cylinder but the weight difference will only be a couple grams so potentially difficult to measure unless you have some fairly good scales and even small things like the pressure applied with the hose bending as you move would need to be isolated from the cylinder weight.

Interesting idea there @KegLand-com-au , but would you remove the stone before fermentation? Otherwise, wouldn't it completely gunk up with trub and yeast?
You could remove the collection container from the fermenter pour the wort in it back in the top of the fermenter. Then remove stone and replace container.

You could remove the collection container from the fermenter pour the wort in it back in the top of the fermenter. Then remove stone and replace container.

I have found that if the stone stays in the fermenting wort it tends to block up far more and the pores are difficult to clean. The best cleaning method if this happens is probably hydrochloric acid but I understand this is a bit dangerous and probably not everyone wants to keep this at home. Would be interested to hear how other people unblock a blocked stone.

My theory of why it blocks so bad if left in fermentation is because yeast is growing in the stone. So remove stone before fermentation seems to be the way to go.

So remove stone before fermentation seems to be the way to go.
That’s exactly what I was suggesting. Remove the stone to clean and store it out of the wort. I left out the clean it bit as I assumed that would be obvious.

Methylated Spirits works well.
Metho these days (in Australia) is just ethanol, whether it's food grade or not I don't know
To plug one of Kegland's products, their Ethyl sanitiser should be food grade and I'd think would be a safe choice
That or if you have some home made stuff (which many of us would...) I'd use that

Metho these days (in Australia) is just ethanol, whether it's food grade or not I don't know
To plug one of Kegland's products, their Ethyl sanitiser should be food grade and I'd think would be a safe choice
That or if you have some home made stuff (which many of us would...) I'd use that

Yeah, ethanol plus 5-10% other to denature. Other being methyl alcohol, acetone, benzene, ketones etc.
Wouldn't think it's food grade.

Yeah, ethanol plus 5-10% other to denature. Other being methyl alcohol, acetone, benzene, ketones etc.
Wouldn't think it's food grade.
last time I checked a MSDS, it's just ethanol and a bittering agent, too many people were drinking it and getting sick

Yeah sounds good.

We just got around to making this video for you:

Let me know if you have any other questions. If we get a lot of home brewers wanting this then we might consider making a cheaper FOB out of injection moulded plastic or something. This particular unit is quite well built out of stainless and is designed for commercial application but it does make purging kegs quite fast.

We just got around to making this video for you:

Let me know if you have any other questions. If we get a lot of home brewers wanting this then we might consider making a cheaper FOB out of injection moulded plastic or something. This particular unit is quite well built out of stainless and is designed for commercial application but it does make purging kegs quite fast.

thanks! watched that on saturday :)

what's the difference between the FOB and this thing? https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-flow-stopper.html

No, I want to fill bottles using my tap. I see plenty of growler fillers for the intertaps but not for the ultrataps.

What growler designs do you have? We have a new device for filling bottles and some growlers but due to the large number of neck sizes on growlers it's hard to make the filler work on all growlers. So on some vessels the counter pressure feature will not be possible. The most popular portable keg dispensing solution are these mini kegs at the moment. These are fairly well priced, fit in most eskies and for filling you can use the ball lock post to counter pressure fill. You just need to make a jumper lead (two black disconnects with a short piece of hose).

Latest posts

Back