Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What growler designs do you have? We have a new device for filling bottles and some growlers but due to the large number of neck sizes on growlers it's hard to make the filler work on all growlers.
Definitely interested to hear about this - any more details or estimated date of availability?

Will it use a screw-in lid? If so the vast majority of growlers are the same size (as are most squealers). Otherwise you can use a tapered silicon bung to accommodate varying diameters. Personally I'd prefer the common growler threaded cap; but the ability to switch out different-sized threaded caps or bungs would be cool if that's possible.

Definitely interested to hear about this - any more details or estimated date of availability?

Will it use a screw-in lid? If so the vast majority of growlers are the same size (as are most squealers). Otherwise you can use a tapered silicon bung to accommodate varying diameters. Personally I'd prefer the common growler threaded cap; but the ability to switch out different-sized threaded caps or bungs would be cool if that's possible.

The product was almost finished but we decided to go back and make further changes so we are still waiting on the final designs to be created. Hopefully if everything goes well we should have this available in about 6-7 weeks.

Is the flow stopper suitable for preventing blow off at high krausen entering the spunding valve? Just had the an idea to hook one up to a spunding valve to make pressure fermentation more set and forget.

I use a growler in the fridge with a drafto to gas and dispense the beer as we don’t want to run another fridge
The growlers fit in the door as can be seen in the photo whereas the mini kegs are too wide to fit in the door. (I also use a soda stream bottle to gas it)
The drafting is not ideal as I suspect that the swing lids and the drafts leak gas and are not adjustable
A screw top like that in the mini kegs would be ideal

Attachments

• C59E1290-AC87-4B1C-9BAE-7EDCE0C8F98A.jpeg
    C59E1290-AC87-4B1C-9BAE-7EDCE0C8F98A.jpeg
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 292
Is the flow stopper suitable for preventing blow off at high krausen entering the spunding valve? Just had the an idea to hook one up to a spunding valve to make pressure fermentation more set and forget.

Yes I dont thing this would be a good idea. The spunding valves are fairly easy to clean and with a phillips head screw driver takes about 2 minutes to tear down as you can see in this video here:

With that said we have been giving our Blowtie here some punishment and it's frequently had krausen go through it and to our amazement it seems to be operating fine even without a clean. So you never know, you might just get as lucky as us and just keep using it without cleaning it.

If you really want to protect the unit then I think the best thing to do would be to make a small receiver/settling tank so the gas runs into this before going into the blowtie. To make a small tank you could use a PET bottle. In fact it was mentioned in this thread a number of pages ago that we would make a tee piece that will enable you to use two of these caps, then use these yellow KL14830 fitting to connect two of these pieces to a coke bottle:

https://www.kegland.com.au/media/images/PCO1881/Tee Iso 1.JPG
Tee Iso 1.JPG

https://www.kegland.com.au/media/images/PCO1881/Tee Front.JPG
Tee Front.JPG

https://www.kegland.com.au/media/images/PCO1881/Bottle Front.JPG
Bottle Front.JPG

So this would be a fairly inexpensive way to make a receiver/settling tank. It will also be able to be used as a very inexpensive small keg too.[/QUOTE]

I use a growler in the fridge with a drafto to gas and dispense the beer as we don’t want to run another fridge
The growlers fit in the door as can be seen in the photo whereas the mini kegs are too wide to fit in the door. (I also use a soda stream bottle to gas it)
The drafting is not ideal as I suspect that the swing lids and the drafts leak gas and are not adjustable
A screw top like that in the mini kegs would be ideal

Just out of interest what is the size of your door shelf? What is the maximum height and diameter you can fit into your door?

Yes I dont thing this would be a good idea. The spunding valves are fairly easy to clean and with a phillips head screw driver takes about 2 minutes to tear down as you can see in this video here:

With that said we have been giving our Blowtie here some punishment and it's frequently had krausen go through it and to our amazement it seems to be operating fine even without a clean. So you never know, you might just get as lucky as us and just keep using it without cleaning it.

If you really want to protect the unit then I think the best thing to do would be to make a small receiver/settling tank so the gas runs into this before going into the blowtie. To make a small tank you could use a PET bottle. In fact it was mentioned in this thread a number of pages ago that we would make a tee piece that will enable you to use two of these caps, then use these yellow KL14830 fitting to connect two of these pieces to a coke bottle:

Tee Iso 1.JPG

Tee Front.JPG

Bottle Front.JPG

So this would be a fairly inexpensive way to make a receiver/settling tank. It will also be able to be used as a very inexpensive small keg too.
[/QUOTE]

That's awesome, I've been looking for something like this for ages. When do expect them to be available?

To make a small tank you could use a PET bottle. In fact it was mentioned in this thread a number of pages ago that we would make a tee piece that will enable you to use two of these caps, then use these yellow KL14830 fitting to connect two of these pieces to a coke bottle:

Tee Iso 1.JPG

Tee Front.JPG

Bottle Front.JPG

So this would be a fairly inexpensive way to make a receiver/settling tank. It will also be able to be used as a very inexpensive small keg too.
That is awesome, I have looked into rigging up something myself to be able to gas and dispense from PET bottles e.g. for taking samples and experimenting with carbonation levels in fruit beers etc.

I’m currently away from home but I’ll measure and send through the details in a couple of weeks

Whats the latest ETA on the MaltZilla? Itching to get my hands on one

For the 27L Fermzilla, what's the optimal length for the silicon dip tube hose?

I pressure transferred from the Fermzilla to a keg last night. All went well until the float and dip tube got down to the top of the cone, got stuck against the cone, and started sucking air. If the hose had been shorter I think the float would have got pulled towards the middle of the fermenter and avoided the issue.

That is awesome, I have looked into rigging up something myself to be able to gas and dispense from PET bottles e.g. for taking samples and experimenting with carbonation levels in fruit beers etc.

So we might also stock some PET bottles as well. If you guys could choose any PET bottle size to use with this cap what size would you choose? We could make any size from 1L up to 5L. The bottle cost would not be very high. Only a few dollars per bottle. The increase in size would not have a significant increase in price. So to get your feedback what size would you guys prefer?

So we might also stock some PET bottles as well. If you guys could choose any PET bottle size to use with this cap what size would you choose? We could make any size from 1L up to 5L. The bottle cost would not be very high. Only a few dollars per bottle. The increase in size would not have a significant increase in price. So to get your feedback what size would you guys prefer?

My vote would be for 5L and potentially a smaller size for taking out and dispensing with. This is an amazing idea for small batch brewing imo. What type of PSI would they be rated at do you think?

My vote would be for 5L and potentially a smaller size for taking out and dispensing with. This is an amazing idea for small batch brewing imo. What type of PSI would they be rated at do you think?

Given they've put "65 psi" on the side of the adapter, I'm guessing they reckon a PET bottle is good to about 65 psi!

(I've force carbonated at 40 psi many times, and used up to 120 psi for bottle rockets, so 65 feels reasonable to me)

Given they've put "65 psi" on the side of the adapter, I'm guessing they reckon a PET bottle is good to about 65 psi!

(I've force carbonated at 40 psi many times, and used up to 120 psi for bottle rockets, so 65 feels reasonable to me)
Haha true, so plenty.

Also had a question for Kegland regarding their kegerators. I'm thinking of purchasing one soonish, is there anything on the horizon for updated models or other fridges worth mentioning before I do? And also I can't find any warranty information about your kegerators, whats the warranty peroid on them? Thanks

Latest posts

Back