Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the detailed responses KL.

There's no particular component that I feel I need specifically replicated (although I really don't like the idea of a 3" butterfly valve for controlled dumping), but having adapters top and bottom to a standard fitting (tri clamp specifically) allows so much more interchangeability with the drawer full of parts that a lot of brewers have. Certainly having first-party solutions to common components and processes is worthwhile and make sense for the new brewer, however as an example I personally already have a stainless unitank and two drawers of components that make much more sense to be able to also use on a potential FermZilla rather than having to start from scratch. A few specific components for me are that I like to have the option of using different types of dump valves for different beer scenarios (heavy or no dry-hops, yeast collection or not, trub dumping or not, set and forget) (butterfly, diaphragm, encapsulated ball), reducers, elbows, spool extensions, CIP connections (hoses, reducers, barbs), 1-wire sensors, carbonation stones, tee-pieces to add more ports, etc. etc. etc. I already own one of your 4" kegmenter caps for use on the unitank, and would do so on a FermZilla also in conjunction with other components.

Rather than trying to get a KegLand solution to every specific use case I'd love to see two simple adapters (or maybe three, if you did both a 2" and 1.5" version of the cone adapter) that open up the whole world of tri clamp components (not precluding development of those KegLand solutions also...). I guess some sort of disclaimer or voiding of warranty around over-stressing the body by applying a torque on the cone base with parts hanging off an elbow would be reasonable given that at the end of the day it's not a stainless unibody vessel. The top adapter could just be a replacement end cap with a 4" port that fit under the existing lid ring, or it could be a one-piece threaded replacement I guess.

---

Fair enough re the stand, given that a pre-defined "short" stand is not likely to match everyone's preference either. Some sort of stand that was the same as the current one but with lugs on the top ring rather than legs would be great so that it could be suspended off any given set of legs or a hole in a timber shelf, but maybe there are issues around leaving the engineering (or lack of) to the end user and risking dropping 30 kg of fermenter on their foot... Custom solutions (the fermenting fridges) are awesome but not everyone is able or wants to replace existing equipment.

That's a fair point. We will look into making adaptors and see what we can come up with. I am fairly confident we can find a good solution.

If you really wanted to you can put the fermenter body into the stand with the stand upside down. It looks a bit weird but you could do that if you really wanted to reduce the height too.

If you want a point to hang the FermZilla from I should say that we will have stainless handles on the top of the unit available soon so you could also hang the fermenter from these stainless handles. You can see the handles in the stainless siphon that we are just about to release here. Look at the second photo to see the stainless handles on the fermenter. So you would be able to hang the fermenter from these stainless handles when they are available.

That's a fair point. We will look into making adaptors and see what we can come up with. I am fairly confident we can find a good solution.

If you really wanted to you can put the fermenter body into the stand with the stand upside down. It looks a bit weird but you could do that if you really wanted to reduce the height too.

If you want a point to hang the FermZilla from I should say that we will have stainless handles on the top of the unit available soon so you could also hang the fermenter from these stainless handles. You can see the handles in the stainless siphon that we are just about to release here. Look at the second photo to see the stainless handles on the fermenter. So you would be able to hang the fermenter from these stainless handles when they are available.

That's great, thanks - if you do come up with those adapters I'll be grabbing a 55 and two 25s immediately (or whenever they're back in stock :p ) and might even consider moving on my stainless unitank (edit: no that's just silly...). Have you confirmed whether you'll be making a heat-tolerant body available or not? For what it's worth, I vote yes...

OK, I've seen the old Fermentasaurus on an upside down stand but didn't think the FermZilla stand looked suitable for that from the pictures, could be a reasonable solution though. Stainless handles sound like a great idea too. Can probably come up with something between those two solutions. Are the handles and neck rated for suspending the vessel(s) while full, or only empty?

Thanks again for the responses

Last edited:
Yes I think some stainless steel pressure fermenters is definitely a hole in the range and we will bring out some options here in the future.

Would also be keen on the cooling coil options. I'm invested in the glycol option now but would be keen to add a 27l fermzilla down the line too.

The current plastic butterfly valve is a really high quality valve made from fairly expensive plastic that are thick and/or over-moulded over stainless steel. None of the threads have been designed to come in contact with the beer. Also bottom dump valve, collection container and lid can all handle boiling wort. It's just the tank itself at the moment that can't handle the boiling temperatures. So if it's temperature tolerance you are after the change to stainless steel dump valve would not actually be necessary.

The current stand is already quite compact only allowing a couple spare cm below the collection container clearance. We do have a custom made fermenting fridge that will take both the FermZilla 27L and 55L and these hopefully will not be too much longer for us to complete and this will have heating and cooling built into the unit. If you really wanted a more compact fermenter we have two other models without the dump valve and collection container. One of them will take 2.5bar pressure and the other model will have almost flat bottom and only take 0.3-0.4bar. These both will be quite a bit cheaper than the FermZilla. So perhaps these other two fermenter shapes might suit you better than the conical shape

Are the dump valve, collection container, lid and butterfly valve rated for being put in a pressure cooker (on a trivet)?
Any plans for those fermenting fridges to reach the EU or have any advance orders for them there yet?

@KegLand-com-au I bought a Robo3 from KL and the switches have become a bit of a pain (the silicon covers seem to have hardened) Looking at the brewzilla 3.1 instructions it appears the switches have been changed. Is this correct and if so will the new switches fit my Robo3? Also is the new base (additional cooling) and legs compatible with the Robo3 and available for purchase. The cooling on the Robo3 is marginal I currently have it sitting on blocks to allow more airflow underneath (not a particularly safe solution) Cheers G

..........we have two other models without the dump valve and collection container. One of them will take 2.5bar pressure and the other model will have almost flat bottom and only take 0.3-0.4bar. These both will be quite a bit cheaper than the FermZilla. So perhaps these other two fermenter shapes might suit you better than the conical shape
Sounds promising. Can you share any information on capacity, dimensions and dates?

That's great, thanks - if you do come up with those adapters I'll be grabbing a 55 and two 25s immediately (or whenever they're back in stock :p ) and might even consider moving on my stainless unitank (edit: no that's just silly...). Have you confirmed whether you'll be making a heat-tolerant body available or not? For what it's worth, I vote yes...

OK, I've seen the old Fermentasaurus on an upside down stand but didn't think the FermZilla stand looked suitable for that from the pictures, could be a reasonable solution though. Stainless handles sound like a great idea too. Can probably come up with something between those two solutions. Are the handles and neck rated for suspending the vessel(s) while full, or only empty?

Thanks again for the responses

The stainless handles are rated for lifting the FermZilla when full. The same handle can also lift the 55L model as well. The handles themselves can lift well over 100kg. In the initial designs we did try to make the handles plastic and have them integrated into the neck of the fermenter but the long term strength was questionable and the stainless handles add about $10 to the price so it's not that much more to pay to get the much better quality handles.

The heat tolerant body will eventually be available but we really need to get on top of orders for the standard model first. We have customers all over the world waiting for the FermZilla units now so we have to clear back orders so we can make time to do more testing on the high temperature tolerant tanks. Rest assured we have not forgotten about this and it's still a high priority.

The stainless handles are rated for lifting the FermZilla when full. The same handle can also lift the 55L model as well. The handles themselves can lift well over 100kg. In the initial designs we did try to make the handles plastic and have them integrated into the neck of the fermenter but the long term strength was questionable and the stainless handles add about $10 to the price so it's not that much more to pay to get the much better quality handles.

The heat tolerant body will eventually be available but we really need to get on top of orders for the standard model first. We have customers all over the world waiting for the FermZilla units now so we have to clear back orders so we can make time to do more testing on the high temperature tolerant tanks. Rest assured we have not forgotten about this and it's still a high priority.
Sorry if this has been answered before but what is the temp rating of the ones just released?
Thanks

Are the dump valve, collection container, lid and butterfly valve rated for being put in a pressure cooker (on a trivet)?
Any plans for those fermenting fridges to reach the EU or have any advance orders for them there yet?

We have not released much information regarding the Fermenting fridges yet however we are quite confident that we will see orders to the EU once we start to promote the product. We are not taking orders for these yet as we still have got quite a lot of work to finish on the software side of things and the IOT hub that these will connect to and we are not 100% sure of the exact pricing yet.

Would also be keen on the cooling coil options. I'm invested in the glycol option now but would be keen to add a 27l fermzilla down the line too.

The cooling coil and insulated jacket are not far away now. These are the next accessories to be released.

Sorry if this has been answered before but what is the temp rating of the ones just released?
Thanks

Its important that you do not exceed 55C on the standard design. The warning label is also on the side of the tank just in case you forget.

Sounds promising. Can you share any information on capacity, dimensions and dates?

We don't want to give too much away with regards to these units but we will release more information in about 1 - 2 months.

@KegLand-com-au I bought a Robo3 from KL and the switches have become a bit of a pain (the silicon covers seem to have hardened) Looking at the brewzilla 3.1 instructions it appears the switches have been changed. Is this correct and if so will the new switches fit my Robo3? Also is the new base (additional cooling) and legs compatible with the Robo3 and available for purchase. The cooling on the Robo3 is marginal I currently have it sitting on blocks to allow more airflow underneath (not a particularly safe solution) Cheers G

Yes all the new BrewZilla units had a significant upgrade to the components and the new switches are the most durable and reliable ones that we could find. They can be seen here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-iluminated-110-240v-16amp-rocker-switch.html

So these come standard on all the BrewZilla Gen 3.1 units and they are backward compatible to all previous models.

The new base and rubber feet are not something that we have as a separate stocked part but I will talk to the guys here and get some ordered for you. I should say that the Gen 3.1 electrical boards are designed so they can go up to 120C which is as high as many of the military specification standards. So even without the ventilation they will work happily right next to the elements for an extended period of time. So the other option is if you upgrade the boards to the Gen 3.1 this might be easier than installing the legs. With that said the Gen 3.0 was still a reliable model and the with overheating were mostly from the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models.

Latest posts

Back