Keggle Lids (for Top Cut Off)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger, Pete. I used lip seals for two reasons; 1. To render a more clean/even surface (covering up the less than perfect cut) and; 2. To eliminate clanking noise.

The hot steam can still escape, but at a very slow rate.

I'm now working on refining my lid idea. I'm still going to use the keg cutout, but I'm going to add a flat piece of SS sheet over it. Photos will explain when I get it done.

Lid complete. I cut a circle slightly larger in diameter than the keg out of a sheet of stainless that I had lying around and lined it with a lip seal. I also cut a small circle out to plug the ferrule and ran a bolt through it to keep it all pressed together (so I didn't need any welding). Between the two layers is a couple of full sized circles of camping mat and then a larger mound of offcuts in the centre to stop the top SS shet from becoming concave.

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0471-1.jpg

IMG_0472-1.jpg

It fits in perfectly and the seal provides a noise-free and rather tight seal. The overhanging diameter was deliberate, as the insulation I plan on wrapping around the MLT will now sit around the lid too, further improving the thermal insulation qualities of the design. Overkill perhaps, but aside from the ss sheet and bolt/nuts (which I already had), everything has been recycled from the keg.

Edit: forgot to mention that I trimmed the ferrule back by a bit over an inch. And if you're wondering what the buffing patterns are on the keg cut-out - I had a bit of fun with an emery (spelling?) disc, which I primarily used to polish up all the sharp/burred edges in leiu of a file - worked a treat too! And the handle is simply a length from the dip tube.

Latest posts

Back