Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I enquire as to other peoples serving pressure?

Just gave the keg a shake, will vent the extra gas shortly. . .

I run my kegs at around 95-100kpa and everything seems to be going pretty smoothly, but like I said, serving pressure is dependant on the temperature as warmer beer will foam at a lower pressure...

I only recently started with kegging a few months back. I went for 100kpa and about 2.5m of beer line.

It was way too much. Way too high a serving pressure and also I force carbed my keg and over carbonated it a lot. It affects the taste of the beer very much I find, making it taste bitter and not allowing you to taste any of the malt flavours.

At the moment I'm using 50kpa for serving and carbonating and I find that quite good. Even tempted to go a bit lower in fact.

If I had to do it again and teach a new person I'd just say to them to not force carb (though I don't know too many first timers that could wait an extra few days to try their beer out), but instead to carb it at 50kpa and taste it each day so that you can work out how carbonation affects flavour.

It's all really trial and error but I'd rather under carb than over carb.

Ok, I've finally got something to post in here. Keg fridge stage 1 is all but complete - just need some CO2 so I can get more of the beer out - and taking pride of place in the dining room. Not as much bling as some of the setups on here but it will do me quite nicely!

med_gallery_4286_408_87477.jpg

The freezer is a 215L F&P and will fit 4 kegs without the collar, or 6 with collar on. I've only got 4 so far, but will probably run 5 + CO2 bottle eventually. Only one tap plus a bronco for stage 1, but the collar is FFBNW another three.

med_gallery_4286_408_104020.jpg

Ended up using a fridge seal from Clark Rubber under the collar as it's not exactly square. Added a couple of mending plates to hold it in place although it stayed there pretty well by itself. Fan is a 12 Voit [sic] 120mm job from MSY running from some random old 5V power supply. Microswitch along the edge with a bit of foam stuck on the lid to ensure the switch gets pressed when the lid is closed. Pre-drilled holes for the remaining taps have a rubber bung to stop the cold getting out. Thanks to Mitchell's instructions I got the lid back on properly and it stays up by itself. The light works too, but only when the freezer is running of course.

Looks good Goofinder! :party:

Looking good Goofinder... will be soo much better with the extra 3 taps though :beerbang:

Damn I didn't realise the 215 slimline F&P could fit 4 without a collar. That's pretty good!

Do you know if it's possible to fit 4 + a gas bottle on the floor without a collar?

here is a pic of Carty's Pub, unfortunately no the setup i would like, i rent so cant really do a lot to the unit but i do live alone so anyspace i have is mine to do with as i please which is convenient as i currently have three rooms that are littered with home brew gear.

anywho more pics cna be found in my gallery in the members gallery section, if ya interested.

cheers
carty

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

Some great setups here.

Part of the beauty of home brew, you can start out small then go big!

I have been expelling a heap of co2 from my keg in a bid to get a better pour. I think it was well overcarbed previously. Will keep all posted on how it goes... <_<

I agree that 4 taps on goofinders will make it really nice!!!!

Damn I didn't realise the 215 slimline F&P could fit 4 without a collar. That's pretty good!

Do you know if it's possible to fit 4 + a gas bottle on the floor without a collar?
4 kegs fit on the floor ok although there's not much room left. They need to be offset like you can see in the photo - the compressor hump basically starts at the edge of the rightmost keg. If you can find a gas bottle that isn't too tall to go on the hump there shouldn't be a problem getting 4 + CO2 without a collar.

:icon_offtopic: Not wanting to get too off topic Quantocks, but with my Celli tap, wont this help?

I was thinking with the flow restrictor this would eliminate the need for metres of hose. Can I enquire your tap choice?

I tried dropping my pressure to 50kPa, and no real benefit. Getting only half beer, half foam at the moment. Thinking I may go the exra hose for sure... thoughts?

Cheers!

Raven,

I have celli taps in my setup and have on some of the kegs, less than 2 foot. I can pour without any issues.

Yardy that's a sweet setup dude, lovin it!

just repaint the fridge maroon and it will be all good :D

Cheers
Carty

Thanks Carty,

sorry mate, can't repaint it maroon, it's a fridge not a dunny :lol:

Cheers
Yard

Hi Raven, as Ross mentioned, don't worry about the extra length... i'm running about a meter from keg to tap and am now getting great pours...

It sounds like it is overgassed to me... I would try turning off the gas at the reg, give the keg a bit of a rock/shake and then leave it for 10 minutes and then vent the gas from the keg (have a teatowel handy in case it squirts). Turn the gas back up to serving pressure and then try pouring a beer... Depending on your beer temp, you will probably want 85-95kpa but there is a simple chart in one of the articles on kegging that should point you in the right direction...

Set the flow restrictor to the slowest you can while still gettting a smooth flow... this negates the need for the metres of line between the keg and the tap...

Also, a warm tap can cause some foaming at the start of a pour... I find that I have to pour 1/4 glass of foam, tip that out and then it is all good as the tap has cooled...

Once you have it in balance, then it is pretty much set and forget...

The chart in question

http://www.wortgames.com/reckoner/reckoner.pdf

Just got this one up and running before christmas, needs a few more finishing touches but has got a decent workout so far. Holds six kegs of which four are full and pouring well at the moment.

000_1101.JPG

000_1099.JPG

Just got this one up and running before christmas, needs a few more finishing touches but has got a decent workout so far. Holds six kegs of which four are full and pouring well at the moment.
Geez.

Fantastic set up looks great :icon_cheers:

Thanks Carty,

sorry mate, can't repaint it maroon, it's a fridge not a dunny :lol:

Cheers
Yard

well played my friend! :icon_cheers:

unfortunately im back in S.A. now where the weekly league is on at midnight and the origin is the only prime time games ya get, its a long wait for three games.

cheers
carty

Back