Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my new way of force carbing is about perfect.
300kpa for a full 24hrs, de-gas the keg & hook it up @serving pressure ( 50-60kpa for me ) Drink immediately.
Quite different to gassing @serving pressure & waiting a week for it to carb up.
First sample after gassing for 24hrs & it's fantastic. Four schooners later & I've come to terms with this keg being lucky to make 2 weeks.
First beer from the new keezer too.... :beerbang:

20151009_162942 (Small).jpg

20151009_162714 (Small).jpg

Just finished putting together the keg fridge we've been slowly working on. Having Oktoberfest party next weekend so good to get all the kegs in place and ready to go.

Had to kegs sitting our for a little while, so they're currently not pouring the best, but will be good once they chill.

Have two Perlick 525ss one the left and two Perlick 650ss on the right. It is definitely far nicer opening this keg fridge on comparison to the old one which was your general upright fridge/Freezer, it's far easier to manage the lines and disconnects.

Beerwise, L->R we have Apfelwein, Pilsner, Oktoberfest Lager and Hefeweizen. All tasting great, should be great for next weekend.

1444454782830.jpg

1444454794763.jpg

1444454811420.jpg

1444454850040.jpg

hwall95 said:
Just finished putting together the keg fridge we've been slowly working on. Having Oktoberfest party next weekend so good to get all the kegs in place and ready to go.

Had to kegs sitting our for a little while, so they're currently not pouring the best, but will be good once they chill.

Have two Perlick 525ss one the left and two Perlick 650ss on the right. It is definitely far nicer opening this keg fridge on comparison to the old one which was your general upright fridge/Freezer, it's far easier to manage the lines and disconnects.

Beerwise, L->R we have Apfelwein, Pilsner, Oktoberfest Lager and Hefeweizen. All tasting great, should be great for next weekend.
Excuse my ignorance but why the double reg?

You could force carbonate with one & serve with the other. Two different pressures from the same regulator.

Crusty said:
Well, my new way of force carbing is about perfect.
300kpa for a full 24hrs, de-gas the keg & hook it up @serving pressure ( 50-60kpa for me ) Drink immediately.
Quite different to gassing @serving pressure & waiting a week for it to carb up.
First sample after gassing for 24hrs & it's fantastic. Four schooners later & I've come to terms with this keg being lucky to make 2 weeks.
First beer from the new keezer too.... :beerbang:

attachicon.gif
20151009_162942 (Small).jpg

attachicon.gif
20151009_162714 (Small).jpg
Nice to see the andale line-up again ;)

hooper80 said:
Excuse my ignorance but why the double reg?
Just to allow two different carbonation rates for the beers. I make quite a few hefe and saisons and prefer to serve them at a higher carb rate then my APAs or stouts.

Yob said:
Nice to see the andale line-up again ;)
I'm getting perfect pours all the time.
4m of 5mm ID line & keezer @3°C.
Keg gassed @300kpa for 24hrs & pouring around 50-60kpa.
Working hard to get them all filled & operational.

I mistakenly bought 6mm line instead of 5mm, however my setup is working ok for now. If smaller diameter beer line (5mm or less) is better then why do they make 6mm at all? Is it better suited to commercial purposes etc?

Benn said:
I mistakenly bought 6mm line instead of 5mm, however my setup is working ok for now. If smaller diameter beer line (5mm or less) is better then why do they make 6mm at all? Is it better suited to commercial purposes etc?
Longer runs, commercially from cellar with beer pump, when professionally setup there's a bit of math involved, line length, head(pressure from vertical rise),temp of beer in keg, temp @tap, Gas pressure, all these values will vary from one install to the next, having done the math line ID and pump pressure and number of pumps is then determined. One club I worked in had 6 taps at a 60m run with 5m of vertical rise, the trick for commercial setups is to then reduce wastage, tricks like reversing the flow with co2, FOB valves, make it possible.

Here's my keezer. It's a bit of a work in progress as I've only got two kegs at the moment.

IMG_20151028_185756.jpg IMG_20151028_190223.jpg IMG_20151028_190040.jpg

The collar is made from scrap plywood a mate of mine had lying around. I would have opted for something a bit thicker, but this was free so it'll do. You can't see in the photos, but even the brackets to hold the collar together were home made from some scrap metal. The timber stain was leftover from an outdoor table job.

I painted the freezer black with 3 cans of hammered finish black spray paint. The guy at Bunnings suggested I use an etch primer so I used 2 cans of that too. My pro tip for spray painting would be to lie the freezer on it's side and spray one side at time (the side facing up) allowing it to dry before rotating. My first coat I sprayed the entire thing standing up but due to gravity there are some streaks where the paint dripped down.

I cut up a styrofoam esky box to add some insulation. I haven't really tested to see if it makes a difference, but it seemed like a good idea. The keezer fits four 19L corny kegs. I will have to drill another hole and put the CO2 cylinder on the outside when I get two more kegs.

Everything is connected with John Guest fittings. I had four kegs connected at one stage with Y-splitters and it worked a treat. I'm running a Harris 601 regulator I picked up for $20.

IMG_20151028_190613.jpg

The real deal, Perlick 650SS. The two taps on the outside are Perlick 575SS which I borrowed from a friend, but I have 2 more 650SS's coming soon. The 575SS's tend to drip a lot, which is why I am able to borrow them. Seems the creamer feature is not worth it.

I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out. It's incredibly satisfying to sit in the lounge room and admire the fact that I have beer on tap in my home.

mstrelan said:
It's incredibly satisfying to sit in the lounge room and admire the fact that I have beer on tap in my home.
One of life's greatest pleasures

mstrelan said:
I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out. It's incredibly satisfying to sit in the lounge room and admire the fact that I have beer on tap in my home.
It sure is. Even though mine's on my back deck, I seriously can't wait for my holidays so I can park in front the TV and watch cricket with my own tap beers on hand just a few steps away. :D Got the same 650SS flow controls on mine, I find them useful for controlling the foamy first pour so I can avoid either wasting beer or waiting for the glass to settle.

Rocker1986 said:
It sure is. Even though mine's on my back deck, I seriously can't wait for my holidays so I can park in front the TV and watch cricket with my own tap beers on hand just a few steps away. :D Got the same 650SS flow controls on mine, I find them useful for controlling the foamy first pour so I can avoid either wasting beer or waiting for the glass to settle.
I just mounted the TV to mine, means no missing the sport when refreshing the glass :drinks:

20150413_1802531.jpg
I've since added a fourth tap and counter pressure filler, holds 6 kegs. 32" fits well :D and great for the Raspberry Pints tap list. Will be up for sale end of next month.

Nice Kegerator MB!
Not sure I would be able to fit a plasma to the Kegmate.... Bribie reckons they are bulletproof but it might be a bridge to far...

Now it just needs a urinal on the front and you really wont miss a minute! Got a VB tap handle by any chance?

Cheers,
D80

MastersBrewery said:
20150413_1802531.jpg
I've since added a fourth tap and counter pressure filler, holds 6 kegs. 32" fits well :D and great for the Raspberry Pints tap list. Will be up for sale end of next month.
That is fantastic

How did you mount the TV to the freezer section?

Back