Kegging Noob Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have brewed and kegged an ale and am ready to drink it. I have naturally carbed it and am using a sodastream to dispense. I have done some research but havent really found any clear info on naturally carbed kegs (mostly likely I cant see the forest through the trees) so I just wan tto check a few things.
The keg has been carbed for a fortnight so do I just hook up my regulator to the soda stream bottle and then apply the gas inlet to the keg or is there more to it? I see with forced carbonation you can roll the keg etc do I need to do anything like that? I would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Aches

Hi all,

I have brewed and kegged an ale and am ready to drink it. I have naturally carbed it and am using a sodastream to dispense. I have done some research but havent really found any clear info on naturally carbed kegs (mostly likely I cant see the forest through the trees) so I just wan tto check a few things.
The keg has been carbed for a fortnight so do I just hook up my regulator to the soda stream bottle and then apply the gas inlet to the keg or is there more to it? I see with forced carbonation you can roll the keg etc do I need to do anything like that? I would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Aches

Yep mate it should be fine, no need to roll it if it's been sitting at room temp for two weeks.
see how you go just hook up the reg and set to your serving pressure ,which will depend on what type of tap and hose set up you have, but start at a lower pressure and see how it looks, it's all trial and error. :icon_cheers:

Mal

You should be good to go, just like a big arse longneck.
Just set to serving pressure and away you go, the first glass or 2 might have a bit of sediment but will clear up, just try not to disturb it too much.

Fantastic advice. Thanks I appreciate it. Just a quick query though, what is a reasonable serving pressure? I hooked the keg up this morning and have had it sitting at about 30 psi to get it going. Is this reasonable? Do I test and adjust, test and adjust or is there a magic number?
Cheers
Aches

Fantastic advice. Thanks I appreciate it. Just a quick query though, what is a reasonable serving pressure? I hooked the keg up this morning and have had it sitting at about 30 psi to get it going. Is this reasonable? Do I test and adjust, test and adjust or is there a magic number?
Cheers
Aches
Mate...i've been kegging for years....and sometimes it is just a case of test and adjust....
However , you never loose the thrill of having beer on tap at home....
Cheers
Ferg

Cheers
Aches

hi mate,

i regularly pour between 2 and 8 psi. a general feel test will tell you what that magical pressure numbure is for your pouring but i think that 30psi would be too high

cheers
matt

Hi all,

Cheers
Aches

For better advice it might be better to let us know your setup, taps and line lenghts what temp you are running your kegs at.

One day on and I have .... flat beer and an empty soda stream bottle. I guess I have leak. To give some more indepth info on my setup I have the kegs sitting at around 5 deg in a frig. I have a bronco tap inside the door and I have kept the soda stream bottle and reg inside the fridge. It is a micromatic reg and I have around a metre of 4mm (i think)gas line with an inline back flow thingy installed. I have around 1.5m of beer line which is the same as the gas line. I had nicely carbed beer last night and left it at 30 overnight and now its flat. I really am out of my depth on this one. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
aches

You would have to have a leak with the loss of a whole cylinder even if only a soda stream, was it full to start with?
I found with mine after carbonating a keg I found that the gas disconnect continued the hum a bit and could not find an audible leak so I got out the sponge with soap on it and found my inline check valve was the source.
So I guess get a cylinder and thoroughly test your set up prior to leaving it be, also if you are worried about leaks just isolate the cylinder between drinking sessions.
I use about 1.5m of beer line and have mine set at about 4-5 psi which gives a slowish pour but reduces how much I waste due to foamy head on first pour.

Latest posts

Back