Kegging brews and carbonation time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question regarding carbing keg beer. I want to use the shaking method to get a couple of beers ready within a week and want some advice. In the past I tried this and it didn't work out. Over or under carbed each time badly so I was thinking ill shake it up till its half carbonated, then set at correct pressure and leave it for a few days. Anyone else do this and does it work?? Or Is there a better way?

Cheers

Newts

many threads with these discussions, FOR ME -> if it's cold in the fermenter, then keg on 400kpfor 24 hours, if it's not cold 36 hours at 250.

Are you kegging/carbonating cold? More CO2 will be absorbed into solution at lower temp's. No absolutes, as it depends on the style you've made & ideal serving carbonation levels.

Keg in the fridge for 24 hours then 250-300kpa for 24 hours.

Shaking it around will have varied results in my experience....nothing worse than an overcarbed keg!!
You are best off giving it a high pressure start (as mentioned above), then back it off to service pressure after a day.
Cheers,
Jake.

Yeah, I have read quite a bit on this one and know there are plenty of threads. I have one gas bottle with 4 keg connections on it so I didn't think I could keep all kegs connected and do the high pressure thing. Trying to figure out the best way to put extra kegs into the system asap without affecting the others but I guess I could disconnect overnight and use the high pressure method.

Oh and yes, I cold condition so it's cold straight away when carbonating. Usually leave my kegs on 12psi for about 10 days but don't have that time for these ones

So, it is going into the kegs cold? yeah?

Bang it up to 300 for 24 hours, it will be around drinkable at that... de-gas and adjust to serving pressure, try it.

If close, but maybe on the under side, it will only take 24-48 hours at serving pressure to come good from there.

IF it is still under - then crank to 300 again and rock the keg, obviously clarity will suffer at this point but you will be closer to the correct carbonation level. Rock back and forth for a count of 18 seconds at once.... so, up to 300, rock for a count of 18, check... and so on.

15c.

Newts said:
Yeah, I have read quite a bit on this one and know there are plenty of threads. I have one gas bottle with 4 keg connections on it so I didn't think I could keep all kegs connected and do the high pressure thing. Trying to figure out the best way to put extra kegs into the system asap without affecting the others but I guess I could disconnect overnight and use the high pressure method.

Oh and yes, I cold condition so it's cold straight away when carbonating. Usually leave my kegs on 12psi for about 10 days but don't have that time for these ones

I tend to just disconnect my already carbed kegs and hit the one I've just filled with 40 psi for 36 hours, gets a near perfect carb every time. You'll still be able to serve from the disconnected kegs, just give them a quick shot of CO2 if the pour gets too slow.

I'm with most of the other guys.

If not cold crashed, 300kpa for 48 hrs. If cold crashed, 300kpa for 24 to 26 hrs.

I just disconnect my other kegs whilst I'm force carbonating. As they are only disconnected for a day or so they are not affected. There is still enough pressure to pour from these kegs.

I have recently bought a secondary regulator so I won't need to do this however. I'd better get hooking it up.

Hey all, just a quick question regarding carbing keg beer. I want to use the shaking method to get a couple of beers ready within a week and want some advice. In the past I tried this and it didn't work out. Over or under carbed each time badly so I was thinking ill shake it up till its half carbonated, then set at correct pressure and leave it for a few days. Anyone else do this and does it work?? Or Is there a better way?

Cheers

Newts
Try this: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/10667-guide-to-keg-forced-carbonation/ read the pages, watch the videos, follow each step - can't go wrong.

Must say, if you're doing the same thing each time and getting mixed results, it's not really doing the same thing each time. There must be a variable - which is most likely to be temperature.

The colder the beer, the more co2 it will absorb and hold, thus the warmer it is, the less it will absorb and hold.

Martin

Yeah, I've tried the shake, ratlle and roll method with varying results. Now, as others have mentioned, I go 300kpa for 24 hrs. Do you have valves where your gasline splits off to the various kegs? I've got John Guest valves that split my gas line to my two kegs, if I've got one carbed and want to carb another at 300kpa, I just shut the valve off to the carbed keg while I carb the other. As Bats said, you can still pour from that carbed keg for a while with no gas going into it.

Okay, going on the above I decided to go with the high pressure method for this one. I do have a few days to get them ready so that sounds like the easiest way.

My current bar setup isn't really friendly when it comes to shaking kegs around behind it so if I can do it without I will. Got 4 gas connects each on a splitter with a tap so went with mosto's idea - turned off carbed kegs, turned on kegs to be carbed and cranked it up to 300kPa.

That was at 8 last night so I'll turn it down later this arvo and see what I've got. Can't leave it on for full 24 hours as I won't be home tonight to turn it down and the last thing I want is an overcarbed keg.

Newts

Latest posts

Back