Kegging And When To Purge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm in a situation now where I've got a beer that's ready to keg, but this beer is at my parents place where I do my brewing. I keep the keg setup with fridge, CO2 etc at my place, obviously. It would be super convenient for me to keg this beer tonight, bring the keg home and then purge. I estimate this beer will be in the keg for about an hour. Is this terribly bad practice? I'll purge it of all oxygen when I get home, obviously.

Cheers,
James

It's probably not the best idea as the car ride will shake the keg up and mix the oxygen in the kegs head space into the beer a fair amount.

If it was me I'd try and rack it into a cube and squash all of the air out and then put the cap on before transporting.

Hey,

I'm in a situation now where I've got a beer that's ready to keg, but this beer is at my parents place where I do my brewing. I keep the keg setup with fridge, CO2 etc at my place, obviously. It would be super convenient for me to keg this beer tonight, bring the keg home and then purge. I estimate this beer will be in the keg for about an hour. Is this terribly bad practice? I'll purge it of all oxygen when I get home, obviously.

Cheers,
James

It'll be fine, bring it home, gas in, purge, and you'll be fine.
if you can, keep it upright in the car, but it's no big deal.
you're obviously going to get stuck into it pretty soon, so you wont notice anything at all.

BF

I thought as much. I hate racking, so I'll just wait til tomorrow (when it's a little more inconvenient, but safer) to keg it. Cheers.

edit: Two totally differing opinions. Oh noes.

why not take the gas and disconnect with you?

I can't say for sure you'll have issues, just what my hunch on it is. Cars are like purpose built keg shakers and the headspace of the keg is likely to have oxygen.

That said if you can fill the keg with co2 before hand you shouldn't have issues maybe?

I can say that unless he's taking a corrugated dirt track home in a car with **** all suspension and a shitload of 02 in the keg, he's not going to taste any kind of oxidation unless the keg sits there for a couple of months, and then he might start picking up some cardboard tastes.

Since he's keen to get it home, i'm guessing he want's to get stuck into it, so he can afford to get oxygen in it, as long as it doesn't sit around for ages.

Cheers,

BF

How are you going to un-dissolve the dissolved air by purging the headspace with CO2?

I am not. This is why I have stopped by home to pick up my co2. Problem solved.

How are you going to un-dissolve the dissolved air by purging the headspace with CO2?

*tsk*
God Nick!
Because obviously, once he starts driving, any air that's in there will be instantly dissolved, completely in the beer causing a massive vacuum and his keg will be full all the way up past his gas dip tube!.
if he doesn't purge, and pulls the release valve he's going to have twice as much air in there and half his face sucked off from a meter away.
and then, assuming he hasn't had a nasal douche with starsan, he runs the risk of infection and tipping his beer out!.
At which point he may as well of left it at his parents place.

P.S. if he's going to get stuck into over the next couple of weeks, he doesn't really need to purge it. But it is best practice.

P.P.S I love you

BF

*tsk*
God Nick!
Because obviously, once he starts driving, any air that's in there will be instantly dissolved, completely in the beer causing a massive vacuum and his keg will be full all the way up past his gas dip tube!.
if he doesn't purge, and pulls the release valve he's going to have twice as much air in there and half his face sucked off from a meter away.
and then, assuming he hasn't had a nasal douche with starsan, he runs the risk of infection and tipping his beer out!.
At which point he may as well of left it at his parents place.

P.S. if he's going to get stuck into over the next couple of weeks, he doesn't really need to purge it. But it is best practice.

P.P.S I love you

BF

I love me too, BFF. :wub:

Bahahahahaha sharing the love :icon_chickcheers:

In future if carting your gas bottle around is a problem, get a old soda fountain bottle[opshops/friends]charge it empty with sodastream bulb and give a blast of co2 into full keg prior to sealing as c02 is heavier than air it will purge most of the air out of the head space

Back