Kegged Today No Gas Till Tuesday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUHEAMIC

Reaction score
Hi All

First time this has happened to me.

I filled 2 kegs today and unfortunately did not notice I had run out of gas.

The soonest I can get more gas is on Tuesday.

Will the beer go off before then or will it be OK?

Cheers
Peels

Is there still just a wee bit of gas in there to flush the headspace? If not I wouldn't worry too much, if the beer wasn't crystal clear when it went in, chuck in a half a cup of dex into each keg and swirl them up and leave for a few days at room temp before fridging and gassing.

This is no problem, as long as the beer is cold and your transfer to the keg didn't bring in too much O2. What you are ultimatly doing is cold conditioning and this is a good thing. Kinda like lagering your beer :icon_cheers:

I wouldn't bother with secondary fermentation in the keg, it will add nothing to the finnished beer and your beer will be sitting on a larger amount of yeast sediment. This in turn could give off some undesirables with time.

The amount of time between now and when you have gas is minor. Relax and have a brew :drinks:

Thanks very much everyone.

I have decided to take the chill it and chill approach.

Will let you know who it turns out.

Nice to see you back mate :)

Agree with Scientist, keep it cool and don't shake it too much and it'll get a little more cold conditioning before carbonating.

this might sound crazy ...

can you turn the keg upside down until tuesday?

I turn screw top jars of tomato paste upside down in the fridge door.
I read about it somewhere....it stops it going mouldy on top.

I don't know about other peoples kegs but mine leak unless they are pressurised.

if you had other kegs, you could have "borrowed" some co2 from them, otherwise have you have done your using the keg as a secondary fermenter.

Yeah i bought them from this real dodgy nude ******* :)

Once they're gassed they hold tight, especially after i smear a bit of ky on them.

You must have dodgey ones :eek:

All mine leak until I hit them with a bit of gas.

Isn't that what ekul just said?

just stirring him, I sold him some of my excess.

Hey ekul
I sold you the wrong ones; one of mine at gregs leaked from the poppet valve and dumped 4L of beer in his keggerator, you need to return a keg for your correct one. Make sure it is full of good beer before you return it.

QldKev

:icon_offtopic: they finally found my bottle hopefully should get good discount for the refill

Latest posts

Back