Keg won't carbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks6

Reaction score
I have a keg of Pilsner that will not carbonate with CO2, no matter how long I leave it or at what pressure.

It's the second keg of a double batch and the first one was fine.

The keg pressurises OK and doesn't leak. The beer tastes good - but flat.

Any ideas? Detergent in the keg? - although I've never had this problem before.

As a last resort, I'm now force carbonating through the "out" post - but I suspect that won't make any difference.

Any help appreciated.

Can you hear gas going into the keg?
How certain are you that there are no leaks or blockages?

Is it cold? Is there bubbles and just not holding a head? Kit or all grain? How long have you been carbing and what pressure?

There is a million things that it could be but having some detergent in the keg isn't making this easy.

manticle said:
Can you hear gas going into the keg?
How certain are you that there are no leaks or blockages?
Yeah, gas definitely goes in - and keg remains pressurised over 24 hours, even when I take gas off.

Overcarbed is a possibility. Need more info on line length and diameter, beer temp, carb procedure including time and pressure, etc.

Dae Tripper said:
Is it cold? Is there bubbles and just not holding a head? Kit or all grain? How long have you been carbing and what pressure?

There is a million things that it could be but having some detergent in the keg isn't making this easy.
Yes, 4 degrees. No bubbles. It's all grain, but it's not a recipe problem, because the other keg of same batch was fine.

I don't KNOW it was detergent in the keg. That's just a wild guess on my part. My keg cleaning procedure hasn't changed, so there shouldn't be any trace of detergent.

I did use a tiny bit of food grade lube on replacement post o-rings, but it should be OK, shouldn't it?

manticle said:
Overcarbed is a possibility. Need more info on line length and diameter, beer temp, carb procedure including time and pressure, etc.
Really? Please tell me more about over-carbing. This might be a real possibility, because I've thrown the kitchen sink at it in an attempt to get it carbed up.

What would the remedy be?

I'm currently blasting it with 40 PSI through the beer post, as a last resort!

Is it possible a non return check valve got stuck? So when you first connected the co2 to carbonate you heard the gas go in but the non return valve then shut off not allowing for further carbonation.

grott said:
Is it possible a non return check valve got stuck? So when you first connected the co2 to carbonate you heard the gas go in but the non return valve then shut off not allowing for further carbonation.
Good thinking. There is a non-return valve on the line. I'll try a new gas line.

Thanks everyone for all your very helpful suggestions. Seems a waste to chuck it out when it tastes good.

Dr Rummy said:
Really? Please tell me more about over-carbing. This might be a real possibility, because I've thrown the kitchen sink at it in an attempt to get it carbed up.

What would the remedy be?

I'm currently blasting it with 40 PSI through the beer post, as a last resort!
Would likely be pouring foam and flat beer. To fix, you need to depressurise until it's no longer foaming and there is no fizz, then recarbing.

If not pouring foam then you may have other issues.
Grott's is a good suggestion.

Back