Keg to keg transfer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidute

Reaction score
I'll start by stating that I have no issues doing these transfers but looking for an alternative option.

So when I clean my kegs I usually have several to do at once. I rinse all the kegs out best I can with water then start my pbw clean process. All kegs now are empty. First keg gets a few litres of pbw sloshed around, allowed to soak, sloshed around again then I'll charge up with CO2 and transfer to the next keg to repeat the process. Then I'll rinse with water make sure everything is clean the do the process with sanitizer.

The thing that bothers me with this process is that I waste CO2. I also have to lug the kegs from the tap to the keezer and back several times for the cleaning process. It's only back and forth because the CO2 bottle is still attached to the keezer and the tap is 10ish metres away.

So what I'm after is options for what could I use in place of CO2 that I could make to be easily portable, carry enough charge to be transferring enough cleaner and then sanitizer through 2-7 kegs at a time.

I'm not worried about oxidisation of beer as it will always be purged with CO2 before filling, just need an easily rechargable and portable solution. I did think of using my air compressor with a water trap, but it ist portable and is about 30m further away than the CO2 bottle.

My alternative is to use a bucket blaster (essentially a bucket of pbw with a pond pump and fittings to squirt it into the keg and through the posts) for cleaning. Hose out to rinse then spray bottle of sanitizer before flushing with CO2 (or not, depends how I feel). Or you can do the CO2 transfer with sanitizer only if you prefer. Saves PBW, sanitizer and CO2, with added bonus you can see that the kegs are actually clean before filling.
I’d be hesitant to use a workshop compressor because that air has traces of oil and other crap you don’t want in your kegs. You could use scuba air - but unless you already own a scuba tank and regulator regulator you’re never going to break even cost-wise by the time you factor in tank, regulator, testing, various non-standard fittings.

Bit lazy but bugger pumping 🤣

Scuba tanks are too much messing around - if Iived closer to my brother they'd be free refills but even then too much hassle.

Could filter workshop compressor air to avoid contaminants, but I'd need to buy another compressor as mine is 20 odd metres away. Although I could have a separate portable tank I fill up and carry around...

If I could find the right fittings to go from camlock to ball lock coupling, I could just use one of my magnetic brew pumps to move stuff around. That's if I could find the right fittings

You’re using gravity aren’t you? Ie one keg on ground, the other on a table and jumpered together?

Latest posts

Back