Keg Serving Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tateg

Reaction score
OK so i have been through so many articles and post in the few days it is not funny.
the issue i am having is that the beer seems to be serving to slowly, with no real head.
i have a 300lt keezer setup with 5 kegs, with the temp of the beer at 3 degrees at serving. I currently have the reg set at 16psi and from what i have read that is more than enough pressure for serving. Tap wise i have perlick 545pc flow controls with only about 80cm of 5mm flexmaster line attached.
Anyone have any handy hints to help ?, should i just raise the reg again
cheers tate

Have you carbonated the beer yet? If so was it quickly at high pressure and shaking or at serving pressure over several days?

Oh and have you tried adjusting the flow control? If it's pouring slowly at 16psi and only 80cm of line then it sounds like you need to back off on the flow control.

schoey said:
Have you carbonated the beer yet? If so was it quickly at high pressure and shaking or at serving pressure over several days?
carbonated over a few weeks one of the kegs has been in there for at least 4 weeks

Thanks schoey, but when you say back off the flow control do you mean just turning the lever ?, i have that opened all the way when pouring

Yeah, the lever on the side. I can't remember which way to turn to increase and increase flow but if you put a glass underneath and pull the tap handle to full on, you should be able to adjust the flow with the flow control lever.

tateg said:
Thanks schoey, but when you say back off the flow control do you mean just turning the lever ?, i have that opened all the way when pouring
Something isn't right. At 16psi and only 80cm of 5mm line with no restriction from the flow control, it should come out as foam. Are you sure that you have the flow control fully open ie. the lever is adjusted so that flow is at maximum? If so sounds like your reg isn't reading right.

EDIT: typo

Generally, to open the flow control, you want the lever pushed up, that is generally open if you have put the tap together as default.

Push the lever up and away from you if facing the tap.

Carbonated or not, 16PSI with 80cm of line should have beer coming out at a decent rate.

If the lever is up, I'd be checking for gas leaks. Spray Star San over all gas and beer connections, look for bubbles that will signify a gas leak.

Black n Tan said:
Something isn't right. At 16psi and only 80cm of 5mm line with no restriction from the flow control, it should come out as foam. Are you sure that you have the flow control fully open ie. the lever is adjusted so that flow is at maximum? If so sounds like your reg isn't reading right.

EDIT: typo
Tell me about it. It is driving me crazy the flow control is totally open, even got a brand new micro matic reg to make sure it wasn't that

Spiesy said:
Generally, to open the flow control, you want the lever pushed up, that is generally open if you have put the tap together as default.

Push the lever up and away from you if facing the tap.

Carbonated or not, 16PSI with 80cm of line should have beer coming out at a decent rate.

If the lever is up, I'd be checking for gas leaks. Spray Star San over all gas and beer connections, look for bubbles that will signify a gas leak.
Thanks spiesy I will check it out when I get home
Though I thought I would have emptied the bottle if I had a leak at 16psi

tateg said:
Tell me about it. It is driving me crazy the flow control is totally open, even got a brand new micro matic reg to make sure it wasn't that
To help narrow down where the problem may lie, do you have more than one flow control tap? Is this happening across the board with different kegs?

tateg said:
Thanks spiesy I will check it out when I get home
Though I thought I would have emptied the bottle if I had a leak at 16psi
You may not have one. You may have a tiny one. You may have a faulty reg.

Hope you sort it soon. A badly functioning keg system sucks.

at 16 psi I would assume your over carbonated at 3 degrees, 12 psi should be about right, if you look at the spreadsheet you'll see the values.

As for flow control (I don't have them) I've read people have trouble originally trying to set them up.

if you take a vid then show us the yourtube link may assist.

Give the keg PRV a pull to check that the keg is holding pressure. If it is disassemble the tap and reassemble as per Perlick's website. If the pressure is in the keg it has to be a issue with the flow control portion of the tap.

I apologise if this may seem obvious, but the tap on the outlet of the regulator is fully open isn't it?

OK so I just removed the check valve and now we seem to be cooking, I may have had it the wrong way didn't check before removing. I have now put it back and check in a few minutes

tateg said:
OK so I just removed the check valve and now we seem to be cooking, I may have had it the wrong way didn't check before removing. I have now put it back and check in a few minutes
These things happen. At 16psi and 3C, you will now find all you get is foam because the beer is overcarbed. Turn the reg down to 12 psi. You may have to release some pressure over a few days to get the carb right.

tateg said:
Don't think the beer is over carbed cause the gas has not been getting through
fair point. Order is restored to the Universe.

Back