Keg pouring FOAM problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botch

Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully this is in the correct area.

First time kegger here having some problems.

Have attached some pics that might help.

Have the fridge at 3 degrees (so hoping beer in the keg is similar)

6mm beer line, just over 2 metres of legth with hand dispensing gun attached.

I started carbonation at 10psi for 3 days and then read some info about force carbing at 30 psi for 24-48 hours.

I then changed to 30 psi for 24 hours, checked and apart from a shitload of foam it still seemed a little under carbed so back on at 30 psi for another 24 hours.

back down to 10 psi today and from the small amount of drinkable beer I can get out it seems fairly well carbed. However, I get 95% foam when I pour.

I have tried adjusting psi to as low as 2 or 3 with the same results.

Any help greatly appreciated.

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

Is the beer gun plastic or stainless and is it kept in the fridge or outside?

If its at room temp then whatever beer passes through it is going to have to cool it down first. Also are you holding the beer gun all the way in when you pour or are you squeezing it 50% or so? Those things can be pretty finnicky...

Are you venting the keg from the 30PSI force carb pressure and then applying the serving pressure ~10PSI before trying to pour if the regulator is set at 10PSI but there is still 30PSI in the keg its going to come out pretty fast until the pressure drops in the keg to serving pressure.

Sounds like over carbed and too short of beer line - system not balanced.

Id say depressurise and try release all CO2 and try recarbing at ~75kPa for a couple of days. And maybe change beer line to 3m of 5mm. im no expert
but i think it'd have to help, thats about what i run.

It's possible you have over carbed. If so you will need to depressurize the keg and allow it to go flat without exposing it to oxygen. Then set to pouring pressure and leave it for a week.

Although force carbing can get you drinking faster, it can also give you headaches.

as been said your overcarbed, theres lots of info about that on the site and there's a spreadsheet on balancing you system

joshF said:
Is the beer gun plastic or stainless and is it kept in the fridge or outside?

If its at room temp then whatever beer passes through it is going to have to cool it down first. Also are you holding the beer gun all the way in when you pour or are you squeezing it 50% or so? Those things can be pretty finnicky...
Stainless and yeah kept in the fridge. Holding it all the way open but also tried doing it a few different ways but same result. Thanks for reply

OzPaleAle said:
Are you venting the keg from the 30PSI force carb pressure and then applying the serving pressure ~10PSI before trying to pour if the regulator is set at 10PSI but there is still 30PSI in the keg its going to come out pretty fast until the pressure drops in the keg to serving pressure.
Yeah venting the pressure then applying the serving pressure. Cheers

3 days at 10psi followed 2 days at 30psi, will mean your beer is probably over-carbed. Your beer is probably already half carbed following 3 days at 10 psi. Carbing at 30psi is fine for 24-48 hours, but not when you have already partially carbed your beer, as you have. Combine that with too shorter beer lines and you get foam. Take your keg out of the fridge and let warm up and release the pressure a few times over a day. Then put it back in you fridge and set at 10psi and wait a few days. Buy some 5mm beer line and start with a length of 3 metres. Shorten by 30cm if necessary and check and do this again until the pour is right.

Cheers guys,

Sounds like I'll depressurize, wait, and start again.

But with getting the system balanced first.

Seems I may have been a bit to eager to get drinking! :unsure:

Thanks again.

botch said:
Seems I may have been a bit to eager to get drinking! :unsure:
it's not drinking it's quality control

Thanks for al the help gents.

Got some 5mm line (4m) and started at 12psqi then changed slightly a few times.

Now running a little less line (about 3.6m) at 14psi and very happy!

:beerbang:

IMG_0772.JPG

Thanks for the post botch. I am having similar trouble and not clear on the solution.

Can the guys who know how to carbonate a keg from warm flat to cold bubbly please respond with a point description including carbonation pressure/s, times, beer line length and diameter and serving pressure.

Hopefully cheers!

bounce said:
Thanks for the post botch. I am having similar trouble and not clear on the solution.

Can the guys who know how to carbonate a keg from warm flat to cold bubbly please respond with a point description including carbonation pressure/s, times, beer line length and diameter and serving pressure.

Hopefully cheers!
Serving pressure and wait a week...

bounce said:
Leaving the CO2 cylinder on?
Just leave the co2 on at the pressure you want it carbed to for about a week and it should be ready to go!

Wilkens

Back