Keg Metal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbbard

Reaction score
I Just got a keg from the tip that i want to turn into a kettle>
But i cant tell if its aluminium or ss
Its a carlton united keg.The stem is definitely stainless but the actual keg is wrapped up in a galvanised skeleton and handles
Will i need to check the grinder sparks?
Thanks

when you cut a piece off, put it in a solution of sodium hydroxide (draino) and water....if it bubbles and produces hydrogen, its aluminium, if not its stainless. Aluminium is amphoteric so it breaks down with both acids and bases. One useful bit of info from chemistry at school all those years ago :blink:

thanks big al
chemistry finally makes sense now that brewing is occupying my mind

Use a magnet.It will not stick to stainless steel.

Cheers
Big D

Doh i say to myself.Aluminium is softer as well as no magnet stick and lighter as coodgee says.Also it oxidises

just use the edge of a coin & try & scratch it - If you can it's aluminium, if you can't it's S/S - simple :)

cheers Ross the scrappy....

Interesting post when you think about it as those of us in the metal game would normally just look at it and go yep s/s or ali or what ever.Probably quite hard to post the diff as there are so many.

Cheers
Big D

Scratch test.
Aluminium bull bar vs stainless steel keg
Aluminium bull bar takes less effort to scratch than the stainless steel keg with a 20 cent coin.They both scratch but one takes more effort.
There ya go people an AHB field test.

Cheers
Big D

thanks for all the help
sorry to bring it up but i was wondering if the keg might be steel with a coating
it does not seem to be aluminium but doesnt quite have the look of an ss pot either. i know it is a diff grade ss in kegs but i am confused
by the way , it made my jigsaw bit go red hot in the short lived teeth in about 20 seconds
cheers

if your cutting it up, use an angle grinder with 2mm thick blades. Make sure they are IRON FREE otherwise you keg could start rusing from the iron in some blades!

Hey dbbard,
For my SS Keg I used a combo of 9" angle grinder :blink: (it's all I had) and jigsaw for the fiddly bits and went through 2 blades for the jigsaw. Just make sure your jigsaw has a really slow speed setting and keep the blade constantly lubricated with grease or oil.
Happy cutting (the Keg and not you).
Cheers
Doug

If you use a dedicated cutting compound, instead of plain greese or oil, It shold preserve the edge on your cutting implements for longer.

Difference between cutting compounds and plain ol' oil and greese, is the additives in the cutting compund to enable the fluid to better handle the extreme forces at the cutting edge. Also alot more 'clingy'.

Can buy the stuff in a spray can too.

Back