Keg Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUB

Reaction score
hey guys, have done a lot of searching on the site to get few ideas, but would still like an opinion or two on setting up a Keg as a Mash tun (one of the squarish commercial brewery type kegs)

Basically we are divided over the manifold setup. We are trying to do this as cheap as possible (we are homebrewers of course!) and are thinking a simple 'bazooka' setup would be best - for ease and s. Either just a straight pipe with mesh, or maybe a t-piece setup. Can anyone suggest which style would be best for a keg, considering the shape of the vessel and the floor of the vessel? Or should we not be tight arses and just go for the phalse bottom that we have seen on G&G?
Also from experience is any insulation necessary on a mash tun keg? They seem to hold the heat really well as a kettle, just wondering if it will be the same for the mash setup. It will have a permanent heat source under it, but why keep using energy if you don't have to right?

Hopefully in a few weeks I can throw some photos up of the new setup - we can't wait to get it brewing!

Our keg, that was formerly a keg from one of those large multinational types. Is that what you mean?

here we go.....

GUB,

i use an eskytun so not much to offer but i do know you'll need some type of insulation on it, seen some on here.

Yard

here we go.....

GUB,

i use an eskytun so not much to offer but i do know you'll need some type of insulation on it, seen some on here.

Yard

cheers, will have a peek

I suggest a SS false bottom (available from any decent hbs, plus from at least one of the sponsers above), and also to use the taller style keg for a deeper grain bed (apparently better for fly sparging).

I suggest a SS false bottom (available from any decent hbs, plus from at least one of the sponsers above), and also to use the taller style keg for a deeper grain bed (apparently better for fly sparging).

I was trying to keep away from the false bottoms, however, after reading around a bit more it seems that scorching can be a problem when directly adding heat to the mash tun. I'm guessing the SS bottoms help eliminate that issue??

If you direct heat under a false bottom, you will get scorching whether the vessel is stainless or not. If you are going to direct heat, you need access so you can stir and scrape right down on the heated surface. Just like cooking porridge.

Direct heating this type of MLT with a SS FB does result in scorching (not opinion, experience). If you want to direct heat it's best to use some type of stirring mechanism which stirs against the bottom. For this you will need some type of perimeter manifold, do a search, someone has posted a pic of one. Tried a circular slotted copper manifold and scorching was still a slight problem, if I was not continually stirring. Have seen pics of heavy based SS mash tuns which apparently work successfully using direct heat, but due to the base thickness of keg style MLT's some sort of continuous stirring must be employed when direct heated.

right on...cheers for the heads up. Will look in to the wrap around manifold. Makes sense...more access to the bottom.
Cheers again

Anyone got a good source for braided SS hose? Or should I just head down to the dirty big hardware store? We have decided on the perimeter hose...it sounds like a good idea...live and learn!
cheer again blokes

Back