Keg king plate chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys just bought a keg king mk III plate chiller....it's bloody awesome!!! Boiling liquid wort instantly down to around 20 degrees!!!! Best thing I've bought for my BIAB!!!

jkhlt1210 said:
G'day guys just bought a keg king mk III plate chiller....it's bloody awesome!!! Boiling liquid wort instantly down to around 20 degrees!!!! Best thing I've bought for my BIAB!!!
How much water did you put through it? Pump or gravity?

I'm thinking of investing in a chiller and am tossing up betwixt a plate chiller or making a counterflow chiller.

JD

I use pump for wort and I don't use that much water because you chill 20l in about 5 mins.. I find you can chill to 27 and do the rest in fermentation fridge. That way you don't wait long and save water. But just like a immersion chiller you can reuse the water.

All I did was hook the garden hose up on one side of chiller and fitted a silicone hose straight from boiler tap to fermenter. One side is garden hose water in/out. Other side is wort in/out easy as shit! By far the best thing I've bought! Before that I was making an ice bath which took over an hour to cool down to same temp. This is ridiculously easy. Goes straight out of boiler into chiller and comes out about. 20 odd degrees!!

JDW81 said:
How much water did you put through it? Pump or gravity?

I'm thinking of investing in a chiller and am tossing up betwixt a plate chiller or making a counterflow chiller.

JD
Trust me get the plate chiller it's unreal

I'm tossing up about whether to go plate or cfc. Any signs of hop material causing problems? How much water do you use for 20l?

jkhlt1210 said:
Trust me get the plate chiller it's unreal
As is a well made CFC.

There are pros and cons for both, I just need to decide which one is best for me.

professional_drunk said:
I'm tossing up about whether to go plate or cfc. Any signs of hop material causing problems? How much water do you use for 20l?
Hey mate,

I use a hop sock and so far have had no issues when it comes to that. I also let it settle for about 10 mins and whirlpool.

professional_drunk said:
Hey mate not sure how much water because I just hooked up the garden hose. As for hop materials clogging I don't use a hop sock I just whirlpool and had no problem at all

I have one of these and think they are great..But..They are a source of infection if not cleaned properly. So my cleaning process goes like this.

1. After I transfer to the fermenter I rinse the plate chiller out through both ends using the water to rinse out my kettle. I then hang it up to dry.

2. Once Ive cleaned the main crud out of my kettle I fill it with some water and pbw and bring it up to around 70C.

3. I then connect the kettle outlet up to my pump then plate chiller and back to kettle and place a hop sock over the outlet hose with a rubber band.

4. I recirculate this for about 15 mins before swapping over the chiller connections and pump for another 15 minutes the other way.
5. I then drain the pwb and fill the kettle with starsan and do the same thing with starsan.

6. I then hang the chiller upside down for a few days to drain and dry out and plug the outlets with plastic caps.

7. Next brew day I connect a hose to one outlet on the chiller, pour starsan into the hose via a funnel until it starts flowing out the other end, then connect the other end of the hose to this so I have a closed loop. I just keep the chiiller vertical and flip it over every now and again so everything gets a good covering of starsan

I know it sounds like a lot of stuffing around but if I couldnt be stuffed doing this on brew day I often leave it and do it a few days later when I have time. After suffering some low level infections I followed some advice from a guy at brew club who had the same problem and this took care of it. You would be surprised how much crud is collected in the hop sock over the hose outlet even after you've given your chiller a good flush out. (And I use a hop sock and whirlpool as well)

That /\ is way too much stuffing around!

When chilling I collect some of the warm waste water in my HLT. Then after I've finished I throw some sodium perc in to the HLT and back flush the wort side of chiller for a few minutes - this also cleans up all my lines etc. I also use the warm sodium perc solution to clean up my mash tun and kettle.

I then give it a quick flush with some fresh water(usually some more of the warm waste chiller water saved in a 20L bucket), give it a quick upside down shake to drain it, hang it on my rig ready for the next brew. No infections yet.

I agree - plate chillers are gods gift to brewers!

As for how much water do they use - run your tap for 5min - that will tell you.

Frothie said:

When chilling I collect some of the warm waste water in my HLT. Then after I've finished I throw some sodium perc in to the HLT and back flush the wort side of chiller for a few minutes - this also cleans up all my lines etc. I also use the warm sodium perc solution to clean up my mash tun and kettle.

I then give it a quick flush with some fresh water(usually some more of the warm waste chiller water saved in a 20L bucket), give it a quick upside down shake to drain it, hang it on my rig ready for the next brew. No infections yet.

I'd have to agreee - that is a lot of messing around. I basically do the exact same thing as you.

Frothie said:

Umm..We basically do the same thing except you use your HLT I use my kettle. You do it for a couple of minutes but I do it longer as Im also cleaning my kettle with PBW at the same time. And I like to flush both ways and collect the crud in a hop sock so it doesnt get recirculated back through the chiller, and I can use the PBW afterwards for other cleaning chores.

Must admit I dont always do the following starsan rinse, only when I could be stuffed.

1 would say that there is less chance of anything getting stuck in the cfc. that's it.

wort.chiller.image2_medium.jpg

If you are going to flow wort one way and coolant the other then this is what you want. No affiliation Bla Bla Bla!!!

No risk of crap remaining in the chiller to spoil your next batch. a "no brainer" really :)

Plate chillers don't want to hear that their chiller is full of crud Dicko.
I think the next ebola virus will come from a plate chiller. :p

yuk.jpg

dicko said:
attachicon.gif
wort.chiller.image2_medium.jpg

If you are going to flow wort one way and coolant the other then this is what you want. No affiliation Bla Bla Bla!!!

No risk of crap remaining in the chiller to spoil your next batch. a "no brainer" really :)
I don't care if you are affiliated, I didn't realise these were available in Australia. I've been eyeing them off for years, and am probably going to buy one before the week is out.

I've calculated it will cost me about 120ish to build a decent CFC, I'm happy to pay the extra for one of these.

Latest posts

Back