Keg King Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad said:
Good price I think mate, that with a shank? Make sure you are comparing the same thing!
well online they say no shank or handle (650SS) and in the LHBS is was fully assembled with shank ect and said $85 hmmmm

Have watched this thread with much interest since the first post, my only comment is that "you get what you pay for".

This is not an anti-Keg King post but I can't admit to seeing anything positive about their taps that would persuade me not to look for a better alternative elsewhere when only a few extra dollars extra expense would make a big difference.

I've used Perlicks (not flow control) with my (past) 9-keg\4 x tap keezer before downgrading to a 3 x tap kegerator & moving onwards & upwards towards better tap hardware.

IMHO I would absolutely recommend Perlicks of whatever persuasion (but specifically the latest SS flow-control models) to any interested brewers.
Of course, there are better tap options out there besides the above KK & Perlicks depending on your budget keenness for bling easier tap maintenance. B)

Happy brewing & just my 2 cents.

lost at sea said:
well online they say no shank or handle (650SS) and in the LHBS is was fully assembled with shank ect and said $85 hmmmm
just check with the LHBS. A mate picked some FC perlicks up cheap from Kirk in Hamilton recently. He might have got a big order of them in.

Anyway, we are OT!

Anyone used the FC intertap for soda water?

I was hoping to restrict the pressure of the higher carbonated water but think even a brumby gets it to the glass with more carbonation.

To me, the soda water poured from the FC intertap tasted flatter than the same keg of soda water poured from the old brumby tap.

Soda water is all I use my Intertap FC for now. Work well with no issues

I've given the keg a bit of pressure overnight and played around with it a bit this morning.

It's set at about 1/4 open and it seems to have done the trick.

Intertap is my friend again.

Hi All,

I am having a couple of issues with my SS intertaps. I have a 3 head font on a series 4 KK kegerator.

2 taps seem to leak, one is so bad that I do not run anything through it anymore...

The leak comes from the little screw on the handle that connects the handle to the tap.... hard to explain.

I have tightened it right up, still leaks... Loosened it, still leaks.... Whatever I do to it the damn thing still leaks!

Also when I pull it on or off... I can actually feel it grinding a bit internally...

Very frustrating seeing I paid so much for the entire system.

Anyhow here is the vid I sent Keg King, perhaps someone might of had experience with a similar issue and could offer me some advice...

Links:

https://vimeo.com/170787613

https://vimeo.com/170787169

Check the shuttle for burrs. They are not the best machined parts.

Also strip it down, clean, and apply keg lube to all seals, and especially all parts of the "ball" part where the handle connects to the tap. Ensure when put back together, the plastic bits that house the "ball" part of the handle are properly pushed down into the tap assembly.

Are you using the self closing springs? If so, I've found they are not stiff enough to close the tap without it leaking thru the tap/handle nut. You need to stretch them a bit.

That's pretty bad. Bad enough that I would suspect that it has not been assembled properly or has some serious manufacturing fault.

Having said that, the three Intertaps I have here are not without a fault. I have one that has started seeping a tiny bit in exactly the same location only after emptying three kegs through it. A second one seeps even more after two kegs, but it's not a running leak. Whenever I change kegs, I disassemble the tap, soak all parts in sodium percarbonate solution for about 10 minutes, rinse, lubricate with Lubrifilm Plus, spray with Keg King sanitiser and reassemble. I also use the tap auto-close springs and adjust the tension on the tap head such that resistance is just enough to make the self-closing work. That has resulted in seeping beer at the top of the tap. Nowhere near as bad as your leak, but bad enough to cause a build-up of sticky residue and a tap that is hard to operate - that is a problem, because the selling point of the Intertap is that it should stop sticky taps. It certainly fails to deliver on that promise in the setup I have.

I'll take the advice from mofox1 on board and will see if the self-closing springs are the source of the problem. It could be that them being too weak results in insufficient pressure on the valve shaft, which in turn causes seepage.

I might also give Keg King a ring to see if they have any ideas. On the one occasion I had to contact them previously, they were very helpful.

From that video I would suspect that the olive that sits on the lever before that nut goes on is missing or cracked. If you take the tap out, take the handle off, undo the nut that you are tightening, you should see a white plastic ring, that is the olive. If that is missing or cracked then the beer will seep through. Or the washer beneath that.

See part 7 or 9
http://www.intertap.beer/Downloads/Intertap%208022.pdf

Reman said:
From that video I would suspect that the olive that sits on the lever before that nut goes on is missing or cracked. If you take the tap out, take the handle off, undo the nut that you are tightening, you should see a white plastic ring, that is the olive. If that is missing or cracked then the beer will seep through. Or the washer beneath that.

See part 7 or 9
KK Reply....

Thank you for providing the videos, clearly outlining the issue you're currently having.

The SS Intertaps have a series of o-rings and washers in them, one of which is a washer located under the bonnet of the tap where the leak you're experiencing is occurring.

Part 9 in the diagram shown.

The quickest fix is to replace this washer with a slightly thicker one. I will send out 3 of these to you in an envelope which you will be able to replace the original washers with. To replace it is simply unscrewing the top bonnet, taking out the black washer currently located inside, and fitting it with the new ones I will have sent.

Regards,

Very good call Reman!

peteru said:
I'll take the advice from mofox1 on board and will see if the self-closing springs are the source of the problem. It could be that them being too weak results in insufficient pressure on the valve shaft, which in turn causes seepage.
I get a very solid "cah-THUNK" when I let the tap handle go now. Very satisfying, and I can have the handle assembly nut done up quite tight with no leakage issues.

That said - if you remove the spring and tighten it up enough it should work as a manual close without leaking either.

Hey gang

I have three FC faucets and two leak from the bonnet. There is a thread in HBT discussing a retrofit, but I feel a new product shouldn't require a fix to function.

I emailed Keg King and they put the blame on the top washer below the bonnet. Washer looks good when disassembled.

This is pretty irritating.

EDIT - I disassembled all three and one has a washer that is much stiffer than the other two. I can't say if that washer was in the leak free faucet, as I disassembled and dropped all of the parts into cleaner as I went. I suspect that it is from the leak free faucet as the lever action feels about the same as the one good faucet.

I just put 5 of the basic brass ones into my keezer. So far all leak proof and no issues. Thinking of spring loading them (no springs currently) as I am finding it really easy to knock and open the taps unintentionally. The keezer is in a fairly high traffic area. Anyone recommend this or experienced other troubles when doing so?

I have a couple KK intertaps and I love them.

I personally like the more industrial feel - I think they feel more "authoritative" when they close with a definite clunk. Sounds secure.

I also have a perlick - and that's great too. I enjoy having a variety of taps.

I think many of the leaking issues are exacerbated by the fact that people feel they should clean the tap after every keg. That's overkill IMO, and accelerates the wear of all the parts which may cause leaking.

I CIP my taps with a gentle solution of no-rinse. Disassembly should not be a regular occurence.

The only reason I disassembled mine was because of the gunk at the top as a result of seepage. If the new thicker washers fix the problem, then disassembly will be less regular. However, you still need to take the taps apart every now and then to lubricate them and do more thorough cleaning. A few times a year should be enough.

ChefKing said:
KK Reply....

Thank you for providing the videos, clearly outlining the issue you're currently having.

The SS Intertaps have a series of o-rings and washers in them, one of which is a washer located under the bonnet of the tap where the leak you're experiencing is occurring.

Part 9 in the diagram shown.

The quickest fix is to replace this washer with a slightly thicker one. I will send out 3 of these to you in an envelope which you will be able to replace the original washers with. To replace it is simply unscrewing the top bonnet, taking out the black washer currently located inside, and fitting it with the new ones I will have sent.

Regards,

Very good call Reman!
Did the new o-ring fix this for you Chef King? One of mine has sprung the same leak you have described after its first clean. After the line cleaner (napisan) sat in the lines/tap overnight, I ran through some soda water that was sitting at about 40 psi and the leak started after this when it was reconnected to beer. Could that amount of pressure have caused a problem? I still haven't gotten around to pulling apart tap and looking inside.

rossbaker said:
Did the new o-ring fix this for you Chef King? One of mine has sprung the same leak you have described after its first clean. After the line cleaner (napisan) sat in the lines/tap overnight, I ran through some soda water that was sitting at about 40 psi and the leak started after this when it was reconnected to beer. Could that amount of pressure have caused a problem? I still haven't gotten around to pulling apart tap and looking inside.
Yes, fixed it. Though it is quite tricky trying to get the new washer to fit, but once in.

It solves the problem!

Update: pulling apart and lubricating the said o-ring seems to have fixed the leak but I think I will still hit keg King up for some of those thicker ones.

Yeh, do that. My original ones worked for a bit possibly a keg or two after re-lubing, but the leaks always came back.

Been about 6 weeks and multiple kegs thru with the thicker washers.. and no more leaks.

Latest posts

Back