Keg King Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using my Intertap non-FC taps for a few months now. I only get one or two small drips immediately upon closing the tap at the end of a pour. Overall, I'm happy.

Yeah, as the above two posts, I only get 1 or 2 small drips right after pouring (within a few seconds of closing the tap). Mine are flow controls although I can't see how that would make a difference as the only differences are before the sealing mechanism, not after.

:icon_offtopic:

On another note, the only problem I have doesn't really have anything to do with the taps per se. My font stays nice and frosty (condensation on the out side at least) but the taps seem to get warm, making the beer froth for the first few seconds of pouring until everything cools down. If I pour more beers right after the first everything is fine, convincing me it's the temperature causing it. Anyone know of a solution, or thread detailing a solution, that doesn't involve a flooded font?

EDIT: Actually, I don't see how a flooded font would help either. Any suggestions?

verysupple said:
On another note, the only problem I have doesn't really have anything to do with the taps per se. My font stays nice and frosty (condensation on the out side at least) but the taps seem to get warm, making the beer froth for the first few seconds of pouring until everything cools down. If I pour more beers right after the first everything is fine, convincing me it's the temperature causing it. Anyone know of a solution, or thread detailing a solution, that doesn't involve a flooded font?

EDIT: Actually, I don't see how a flooded font would help either. Any suggestions?
Its more of an issue of surface area. The taps have a large surface area that is not directly chilled. The only way to keep them cold will be to jacket them or to have a frozen font and therefore a cold tap.

Yeah, makes sense. It's not like I'm really wasting any beer. I just pour the first bit in to a glass and set aside, then pour my actual beer. By the time I'm done drinking the actual beer the foamy glass has settled and I drink that too. :) It's a little warm and slightly flat by then, but schmeh.

I ordered 3 and received 1 stainless steel FC tap after a few months, I finally got around to cleaning it and fitting it up but it semms to drop a little from the spout and also leaks up through the top bonnet. I have the printed parts diagram and all seems ok. Is the a mother place I can find an exploded view or video?
Thanks guys.

This is just a bit of an update on my experience with these taps.

I got a "stout spout" with mine but I haven't got a beer gas / N2 setup. I figured I'd give the spout a try on a best bitter anyway to see if I could get a nice big creamy head on a lowish carbonated beer. So I carbonated and served at 80 kPa at 8 C which is a bit higher than I usually would for this style with the idea that the stout spout would knock a bit of CO2 out. Well it works a treat. A nice creamy head and about the right fizziness, although it's a bit of a slow pour even with the FC fully open because of the extra restriction. The result is pretty good so I'm not sure I'll bother getting a N2 setup in the future, which was my original plan. I'll have to try it on a dry stout before I really decide, though.

P4183312.JPG

Side note: this is Bribie G's Yorkshire Bitter 2016 AHB recipe which is tasty as. :)

CoxR said:
I ordered 3 and received 1 stainless steel FC tap after a few months, I finally got around to cleaning it and fitting it up but it semms to drop a little from the spout and also leaks up through the top bonnet. I have the printed parts diagram and all seems ok. Is the a mother place I can find an exploded view or video?
Thanks guys.
After I cleaned one of mine between kegs it was leaking, I think, from the same place - from the tensioner. I had to tighten it up a fair bit before it stopped leaking and I thought, "Oh no, the tap is gonna be awful to open and close". But it isn't, it feels good. So maybe you just need to tighten it up a bit. I guess you should also make sure all the seals in that area are seated nicely and sealing properly too.

I've been using the Intertaps for almost two weeks now and must say I really like the Stout Spout. I've used it to pour a porter and the results are pretty spectacular. I get lovely creamy pour, reminiscent of Guinness, including the stratification and settling of the beer. At the end I get a nice firm velvety head. A result that is much better than I expected with just plain CO2.

Has anyone had an opportunity to test the English Sparkler Spout? How does it differ from the Stout Spout?

Kee/Dan - if you are still following this thread, I'd be happy to give the English Sparkler Spout a try and review it for everyone else.

Yeah, I've been keen to try the sparkler too. Although they're mentioned on the Intertap site, I can't find them on any retailer's website, so I'm not sure they're actually available.

Anyone heard any word on when they might be available?

I tried to order one about a month ago, but it got taken off my purchase order because it was not available. I'm hoping that a month later we might be closer to having some availability, even if it's just a few review units.

verysupple said:
After I cleaned one of mine between kegs it was leaking, I think, from the same place - from the tensioner. I had to tighten it up a fair bit before it stopped leaking and I thought, "Oh no, the tap is gonna be awful to open and close". But it isn't, it feels good. So maybe you just need to tighten it up a bit. I guess you should also make sure all the seals in that area are seated nicely and sealing properly too.
I did get it to seal and yes it needed to be tightened far more than I expected. After running it for a few weeks I would say it is better than the average tap. However the simplicity of my Pearls and smoothness of of operation is not matched by the Intertap.

I have three Intertaps. One is very smooth, one is "normal" and one was grinding and now just a bit rough.

The one that was grinding had a metal shaving stuck in it. I think it may have been from cutting the thread. Once I have removed it, the action improved, but the tap still feels like there's some stand or something rough stuck in there.

The tap that is working nice and smooth was actually very similar to the one that now runs rough originally. I took it apart before installing it and found that flipping the shuttle upside down has improved the smoothness of the action tremendously.

As I empty the kegs in the next few weeks, I'll take each tap off and will inspect internals closely. I might pull out some 600 or 1,000 grit paper and polish some of the accessible contact surfaces if it looks like they are the cause of the "sticktion".

anyone else have any imput/2cents on these KK intertaps? im beginning to gear up for a promotion to kegger and am keen to hear some more reviews!!!

also.....flow control or not? (on any tap brand) do you find it vital to pouring? or not really necessary?

cheeeers

I like the flow control not only for the control but when I am finished a session I turn them down so if anything happens to bump the tap nothing comes out.
As for the KK tap I will be sticking with my Perliks. The Intertap is used for Soda water.

Over the last month I had the opportunity to put all three Intertaps through their paces and take them apart to clean between kegs.

I found that towards the end of each keg, all three Intertaps became harder to operate, giving a grinding and sticky performance. I have the automatic return springs installed and even when I loosened the collar a fair bit, the taps would not close without being given a nudge.

As an experiment, I used 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper to polish the flat surfaces on the pin that sits inside the shuttle. These were machined quite roughly. I also used some tap grease to lubricate pretty much all surfaces that have any friction. The action is smoother than before, but we'll see how well it performs a few weeks later, once I get towards the end of the keg again.

okay so i did a rare venture into my LHBS in newy today and surprisingly they had both 650 perlicks and intertaps both SS and FC in stock. i immediately notice the smoothness in the feel of the handle/valve action of the perlicks over the intertaps. VERY noticeable feel. intertaps just feel rougher/harsher?

basically the only benifit i can see just from holding the intertap (not pouring from them) is the changeable spout....so i think ill be spending the bones on the perlicks.

lost at sea said:
okay so i did a rare venture into my LHBS in newy today and surprisingly they had both 650 perlicks and intertaps both SS and FC in stock. i immediately notice the smoothness in the feel of the handle/valve action of the perlicks over the intertaps. VERY noticeable feel. intertaps just feel rougher/harsher?

basically the only benifit i can see just from holding the intertap (not pouring from them) is the changeable spout....so i think ill be spending the bones on the perlicks.

+1

First thing I noticed on the intertap was the grinding sensation.

geez i just noticed craftbrewer have the FC celli's are reduced from $215 down to $155.....

anyone know if they fit onto a KK font?

Moad said:
+1

First thing I noticed on the intertap was the grinding sensation.
also the 650SS was only $85 at the LHBS, does that seem right? or a bit cheap? i see them for $100+ online

Back