Keg King Intertap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I've had the same problem a couple of times regarding tightness in the shank before I worked out what was going on. Conversely I've had a few other times where the tightness has caused the washer to deform under compression and so obstruct the beer flow with the FC fully open, so it's been a bit of a balancing act.

Generally though I'm really happy with the taps, I run shortest possible line length with two or three elbows in each line to avoid the fan in my keezer. No foaming issues other than from warm taps or when I've accidentally over-carbed a keg. Actually now I think of it, one of the taps still had some machining swarf (spelling?) inside which caused a bit of foaming before I pulled the tap apart and knocked it out. From memory I normally run at ~0.8 bar for carb and serve.

I've got 2m of line on mine and have had absolutely zero issues. Will definitely be buying another at some point.

Hey all,

I just bought 2 SS Intertaps non flow control for a new keg setup, was pretty convinced by the reading I had done that the Intertaps are pretty special for the money considering the nozzles available for them.

I have read here some of you having issues with flow control taps and have read elsewhere the same issues. Through my researching and internet searching I found this guys website were he appears to have a Ph.D in engineering and he made this beer line length calculator that people rave about, just thought I'd share it with you as I think calculating beer line length correctly is a far better option to control pours than most flow control taps, not that I have practical experience but it is the approach I will be putting to practice.

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Cheers

Sippa said:
Hey all,

I just bought 2 SS Intertaps non flow control for a new keg setup, was pretty convinced by the reading I had done that the Intertaps are pretty special for the money considering the nozzles available for them.

I have read here some of you having issues with flow control taps and have read elsewhere the same issues. Through my researching and internet searching I found this guys website were he appears to have a Ph.D in engineering and he made this beer line length calculator that people rave about, just thought I'd share it with you as I think calculating beer line length correctly is a far better option to control pours than most flow control taps, not that I have practical experience but it is the approach I will be putting to practice.

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Cheers
I would agree about line length and balancing being a better option than using flow control taps. The way the flow is controlled just seems to introduce far too much turbulence.

That said, I wish there was a more practical way to change over beer lines on a whim. Right now they best I've seen is an MFL post on the back of the shank, but they don't make 90 degree bended ones of those, like they do the barbs, so you end up with pipe stickout out precariously... a 90 degree bend with an MFL connection, and multiple pre-cut lengths of tubes that can be swapped out with each keg, that would be ideal. (don't even speak to me about push in fittings *shakes fist violently*)

moonhead said:
I would agree about line length and balancing being a better option than using flow control taps. The way the flow is controlled just seems to introduce far too much turbulence.

That said, I wish there was a more practical way to change over beer lines on a whim. Right now they best I've seen is an MFL post on the back of the shank, but they don't make 90 degree bended ones of those, like they do the barbs, so you end up with pipe stickout out precariously... a 90 degree bend with an MFL connection, and multiple pre-cut lengths of tubes that can be swapped out with each keg, that would be ideal. (don't even speak to me about push in fittings *shakes fist violently*)
Just cut them off. You don't lose that much line, a centimetre or two at most.

And you can get MFL elbows http://www.homebrewusa.com/elbow-1-4-ffl-x-1-4-barb

What would be more ideal is a post on the back of the shank so yu can just have ball lock disconects on there.

Lionman said:
Just cut them off. You don't lose that much line, a centimetre or two at most.

And you can get MFL elbows http://www.homebrewusa.com/elbow-1-4-ffl-x-1-4-barb

What would be more ideal is a post on the back of the shank so yu can just have ball lock disconects on there.
Not really what I mean, I'm talking about the barb/MFL connector on the back of the tap shank - http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/taps/angle-barbtail-to-be-used-with-5-8-hex-nut.html Can't find any 90 elbow versions with MFL connectors instead of barbs.

verysupple said:
I'm a bit late on the scene here, but this might help.

I was having a bit of a foaming problem when I first got my FC Intertaps. A bit of searching turned up this thread. Basically I simply needed to tighten the connection between the shank and the tap. Maybe air was getting in?

Happy brewing.

Edit: Subsequent posts in this thread show people are still having foaming issues with the FC ones. Mine work perfectly fine so I'll detail my system for reference:
- I serve anywhere from about 80 to 110 kPa (about 11 to 16 PSI) depending on beer style. I haven't tried a weissbier yet, though.
- Beer lines are 5 mm ID and ~1 m long (basically the minimum I needed to have a little slack).
- At higher pressures I need to back off the flow a bit - maybe 1/2 to 2/3 open. Up to ~100 kPa I typically have them fully open. Again, I haven't tried anything really highly carbonated yet.
- As I've discussed previously in this thread, I always get a little bit of foam on the first pour until the tap cools down, but it's not really a problem.
Well I'll be buggered. I was getting heaps of foam , a quick tighten of the nut and it's perfect.

Cheers

G'day all
I have been using a pair of SS Intertaps for around eight months and and love them but one started pouring foamy beers recently so today I ripped em apart.
What I found to be the cause apart from bits of hops and stuff was the washer behind the spout. It had bits hanging off it that was causing the flow to be not circular if you know what I mean (like putting your finger on the edge of a hose).
I replaced the washer with an O ring and I'm back to perfect cold ones.
I only hand tightened the tap assemblies but went a bit harder on the shank and collar.

image.jpg

I've been trialling a SS FC intertap for a few months and love it I'm going to buy another 3.
I was a bit put off to start with given the earlier posts on leaks. I've no drama with mine.
I have had a little bit of foaming, but I compared it with my other non intertap and it also foamed. The beauty of the FC is I close it off and slowly open to chill the tap and all good. I have an above keezer font so tap gets pretty warm when not in use.
It's awesome for filling growlers too, no need for the growler filler nozzle just slip some hose over the supplied nozzle, start with no flow then slowly increase. I thought the hose I.D would of been too big but to the contrary it actually works well with the bigger I.D. I do have a Kegking stainless insulated growler that I put in the freezer with the lid off prior to filling though. If I do this I can fill to the top with next to no foam!
Over all pretty happy and when you see the amount of machining in the parts I think the price is justified.

Captur2e.JPG

Captur3e.JPG

Capture.1JPG.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

How tall is it? will I be able to get my 500ml. German beer glasses under the tap?
A 500 ml glass hardly qualifies as a german beer glass .. hehe. Anything less than a litre is suspect. Yes I think you will find that it will.

This 270mm is to the bottom of the tap? I bought a tower from you in the past and it will not fill a 500ml German beer glass, I discussed this at the time of my purchase, and did not get a satisfactory response.

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_115440631_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210216_115440631_HDR.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210216_142526282.jpg
    IMG_20210216_142526282.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 61
This 270mm is to the bottom of the tap? I bought a tower from you in the past and it will not fill a 500ml German beer glass, I discussed this at the time of my purchase, and did not get a satisfactory response.
E8721A45-6728-467B-BE3E-9899BB071BA9.jpeg
977C353F-5789-43A6-9ABC-81F0BEFB6EDF.jpeg
DEFDBA91-7D72-45B4-954D-9F246E8204A6.jpeg
977C353F-5789-43A6-9ABC-81F0BEFB6EDF.jpeg
DEFDBA91-7D72-45B4-954D-9F246E8204A6.jpeg

I had this problem with my kegerator when I got it 7 years ago, and the clearance was reduced further by my 30mm high drip tray. I solved it by making a timber collar out of varnished pine to extend the height of the tower by ~50mm (and better secure the font tower against the top of the kegerator).

Latest posts

Back