Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a new control-box for my brewery, using it for the first time today, so when I turned on both kettle-elements and noticed a burning-melting-plastic-electrical-stuff-smell, the logical thing to think was that I'd wired something incorrectly (since I did it all from memory) or some of the excess tape I'd used got a bit warm.
However, after sniffing around a bit, the plug on the main (bottom) kettle-element had started to melt and smoke:
element_melt.jpg

No exposed wires or stuff like that, but I presume everything inside is well melted since the stuff on the outside is.
Luckily brewing indoors in the insulated kettle, means that one element works well enough, so the brew day was finished without additional drama.

I sent an email to Kee on 21st Sept stating that I was concerned about a version of the element that was dangerous due to poor filler around the cord section, I asked if the issue has been addressed, if so, I would order more of the new version.

I was informed and have it in email from Kee that the design of the elements have been changed. I am just waiting on them to post their new stock to me, I have bought 10 of them, so I will not be 'taking a risk' on this, I will be testing them and reporting back. If there is even the slightest problem with the cord material or filler material, or rusting, I will be sending them back for immediate refund (since I have it in writing, if the situation has not been resolved, then it is a case of dishonesty, perhaps fraud though I am not a lawyer, and we will hopefully have a conclusion on this topic.

If the design has not been changed, and I receive any resistance to refund, I will immediately contact ACCC/fair trades, and I am sure that there are some other governmental bodies that would love to know they are willingly selling out of spec and dangerous electrical gear. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt because I can't see why a company would want to expose themselves to that kind of risk.

All my other KK purchases have been fine, so here's hoping they have honestly rectified the issue. Watch this space for news.

Cheers

Seb

i reckon they need to increase the size of the wires inside them... hopefully they have

i had mine running this morning and it was "hot" as usual..

i reckon thicker copper would reduce a lot of issues pulling 2200 for hours during a brew day.
as they are a great simple solution to home brewers

from my experience with the older elements, it's the insulation temperature rating that seems to be causing the main problems, but of course, thicker copper would help with that.

F$*#*$#. Just found one of the older style elements, plugged it in, and a 3 foot fireball launched out of it.

I'm too traumatised to even use the new elements now.

I've got 2 Keg King elements in my HLT, one as raised in this thread which was a replacement and one from a couple of months prior when I purchased the 2. When I got sent the replacement one I was told it was the newer version. It has a different length cable, and I noticed the keg king logo is stamped into it in the reverse direction. Both are having issues at the base and I've cable tied them up and cut back the insulation to try and prolong their use. Only issue is now I have a HLT that I am not comfortable using from a timer to start heating up prior to me getting up, and every use I'm expecting a smoke session from it. Also most the time I'm only running one and wasting twice the time to try and minimize the heating around it.

QldKev

Man, I've held my tongue for quite a while on this topic. With elements failing due to design flaws there is no way in hell I'd be using the elements or waiting for existing ones to crap out. Dust the cobwebs and moths out of your wallet, and buy a decent heating element. Don't run the risk of sparks, 3 foot fireballs, etc, etc. The $40 you spent originally and the warranty is not worth your life.

I can only shake my head at Kev's attitude. This is 240V going into a big barrel of boiling water we are talking about. You are waiting for the elements to fail or a smoke session. That shows such a reckless disregard for your own safety or anyone else's safety who happens to be there for the "smoke session". Personally I'd be unbolting those things, cutting the cord so no-one else tries to use them and binning them now.

Anyways, I'll probably get some grief about my comments but I just have to say something.

No I think you are right.

I actually align my values quite heavily with health and safety. This was just a tide-me-over literally until next week, when I can install my proper stokes 6kW industrial elements (and 2kW for customers).

However, I was told on the 21st that they were out of elements, I expedited payment in advance such that they could ship them ASAP, i was told it would be available Thur/Fri (27th / 28th). Now been over a week past that time, and still have not seen anything, so I can only assume they have not sent them yet, so I have asked for a refund.

I'm also agreeing with you too.

I should pull my finger out and replace them. I've just got a couple of other projects on at the moment and haven't look back at them. Also since I only use them about once a month it's too easy to put it off. I do remember someone found an easy replacement for them to block up the holes, but I guess HWS ones are normally bigger so that would make it easy.

QldKev

I have some 1" BSP threaded elements I'm planning to use - however the thread extends into the pot, and I'm working on a solution to seal these up tonight....

Fingers crossed.

All I can say is make sure you're using the KK element on a circuit that is RCD protected, and that the RCD is tested as working.

Cheers

All I can say is make sure you're using the KK element on a circuit that is RCD protected, and that the RCD is tested as working.
Mine works. :)
Didn't mean to test it deliberately, but water + electricity can do that.

Yep, all RCDs should be tested every 6 months - who actually checks theirs at home this often though? I know at work we do need to do inspections and tests every 6 months.

Take 5 seconds, go to your switch board, and press the test button on each RCD - it could be the difference between the RCD saving your life, or failing and killing you.

I urge everyone to test them regardless of what elements you're using......

Cheers

Yep, all RCDs should be tested every 6 months - who actually checks theirs at home this often though? I know at work we do need to do inspections and tests every 6 months.

Take 5 seconds, go to your switch board, and press the test button on each RCD - it could be the difference between the RCD saving your life, or failing and killing you.

I urge everyone to test them regardless of what elements you're using......

Cheers

i have a earth leakage switch in my switch board. do you guys recommend having a portable one as well. i brew outside under my pergola where the circuits are connected to the earth leakage switch in the main board.

fergi

6 months??

not sure what industry you are in but in the construction industry it has to be tested daily or every time you plug it in. Also has to be tagged every 3 months. Was the same when I worked in QLD so not sure what your in but 6 months is a bit much, Office electrical I think is tagged 6 monthly but sure if they had RCD it would have to be tested before they turn the computers on every day.

Edit: oh industrial is every month it has to be tagged

Nah mate, 6 monthly push button test, 12 monthly trip time test. This is for RCDs in boards on train stations.

As for test and tag - anything taken out in the field is 3 monthly, fixed appliances like computers are every 5 years... Other items 12 monthly... Anyway, we're digressing.

Just tested my 1" BSP element and its working great - just need to source a higher powered one than the 1800W I had spare for my HLT....

Cheers

so what size element would i need for my 70l to boil doubles?

I should point out in fairness that all other keg king purchases have been of high quality. They really need to stop stocking this brand/type of element, and I haven't had any service issues with them, including refunds for my elements. So you should still consider heading to them for whatever you need, as long as its not those death sticks.

Latest posts

Back