Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QldKev said:
But he has 2 x tubes, so surface area is doubled

8mm dia = 25.1mm circumference
x length 630
x 2 (as you have two tubes)

= 316 cm2
2400w / 316
7.59 W/cm2
I didn't realise he had 2 tubes, but it makes sense for a small diameter.

Parks said:
I didn't realise he had 2 tubes, but it makes sense for a small diameter.
Looks like your calculation is correct
From his site:
Exposed element length approx 300mm

so 630mm is all up

Parks said:
Assuming that coil is 8mm and you have a total coil length of 2.2m (4 lengths of 55cm) that would be about 553 or 5.4W/cm2 @ 3KW.
3 elements 1000mm each 3.9w/cm2 @3kw no problems with burnt wort . If they would fit my kettle I would have another in a higher wattage.

Yob said:
Out of interest for those following this thread.

My 2 year old (i think) KK element finally gave out, I wandered in there the other week (Springvale) and merely mentioned that the element had shat itself and was offered a replacement with no questions asked. You can easily see the difference in the 2 of these. It can be noted that I only use mine in the HLT.
Same here, mine was going on 2 years old in my HLT. Didn't completely fail but started smoking and smelling pretty bad so I pulled the plug. Had to wait a few weeks for the new stock to come in but was replaced without hesitation for the new one.

Mines an early one and managed 10 odd brews or so but now I want it to fail so I can replace it . Wonder if they'd replace it if it hadn't failed?

pull the shroud off and if it's darkening or has a smell to it... take it in. See teh photo I posted a page back, it starts to become fairly obvious if it's failing.

I could smell mine before I saw it.

Camo6 said:
Mines an early one and managed 10 odd brews or so but now I want it to fail so I can replace it . Wonder if they'd replace it if it hadn't failed?
Well if you want it to last, i sure wouldn't store it in a moist environment :ph34r:

kahlerisms said:
So an update on Element #3. My last three batches (American Pale, MO Smash, English Barley Wine) all taste identical - burnt and ashy.

Unlike the first time I made an ashy tasting beer (and these three aren't that extreme), there's no evidence on the element of anything scorching or burning. Regardless, even if I wasn't having these issues I can barely get more than a simmer, so I think I'm done with KegKing elements.

So, anyone know of any 2200-2400W elements that'll fit the same hole? Alternatively I gotta find a way to block it up and I'll just use an over-the-side job.

Pretty disappointing :(

Not trying to but in with a plug, but if you are genuinely stuck for an alternative i have 25mm bsp elements (32mm diameter threads) that i believe will fit in the hole if you use a backing nut.
They are a variety of wattages from 2400 to 4800 and a variety of densities to fit different sized pots. The 2400 ones have about 900mm of 8mm element and the low density 3600 ones have over a metre, the ultra lows more again.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au/elements-guards-and-controller-kits/

Apologies if this is against rules and i will delete it if so, but it's posted in direct response to the question.

punkin said:
Apologies if this is against rules and i will delete it if so, but it's posted in direct response to the question.
I certainly appreciate it and will look into those elements - I woulda liked to avoid having to have something wired up, though if it solves my problem I'm willing to entertain any options.

punkin said:
Not trying to but in with a plug, but if you are genuinely stuck for an alternative i have 25mm bsp elements (32mm diameter threads) that i believe will fit in the hole if you use a backing nut.
They are a variety of wattages from 2400 to 4800 and a variety of densities to fit different sized pots. The 2400 ones have about 900mm of 8mm element and the low density 3600 ones have over a metre, the ultra lows more again.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au/elements-guards-and-controller-kits/

I was actually looking at your elements this morning.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't need a ferrule welded to my kettle for them do I? I can just use a backing nut and a gasket?

They will screw into a 25mm thread, so you can weld in a 25mm socket.. I've never tried using them as weldless as they usually fit with our element guards.

I can't see a reason why not, though i don't know for sure. I bet someone on here has tried it before though. I would think that it depends on the diameter of the pot you are trying to seal.

I don't warrant them to fit that way.

With the electric brewery as few people have used the $11 Camco elements with a nut, Amazon often prompts you with the nut and silicone o-ring.

punkin said:
I can't see a reason why not, though i don't know for sure. I bet someone on here has tried it before though. I would think that it depends on the diameter of the pot you are trying to seal.

I have one of those elements and use a backing nut, works fine. They are a quality element.

Hey guys,

Got this element about 2 months ago then started reading this thread - wish I'd read it before. I mounted it in my keggle and this is the element after boiling 20L of water 4-5 times.

Kegkingelement.jpg

Kegkingelement2.jpg

Thinking I'll use some Barkeepers Friend on it and get rid of what rust I can. Can't see myself getting all of it. The part where the element joins the nut seems to be the biggest concern.

Anyone know how I might clean that up? I did try getting it apart but didn't want to force it too much - might break something.

Newts

Can you send it back and get a refund/replacement? Probably your best option.

Remember, rust breeds rust. An object with rust on it may contaminate other stainless steel and cause it to also start rusting. Stainless steel is really rust resistant. Not rust proof.
As some general knowledge that too many consumers are not aware of:
Irrespective of what warranty is offered on a product, under law, you have consumer guarantees. One of those is that a product should last as long as would be expected for that quality of product.
A warranty is just a promise made by the warrantor and may include anything. When you are told something has a 12 month warranty, look at what the warranty actually covers. Also, is it a manufacturer's warranty or a retailer's warranty?
Manufacturers/ importers/ distributers know when they have an issue with a product. They will try work around replacing it if they can for economic reasons. Premium brands usually are better to deal with as they have their reputation to protect. At the other end of the scale, they will try anything to avoid a claim. I have worked for a large appliance company and we used to rely on the consumers ignorance to come to a satisfactory conclusion......for us.
With any product, just know your rights and stand firm.

Just a quick bump...... I have the "new and improved" version. Iwill be replacing them after a quick zap I had tonight. The new ones will be strictly replacements and will be used when needed as a last resort. STAY AWAY FROM THESE ELEMENTS. Sorry to those who sell these, but its time these fuckers were taken off the market.

Out of curiosity, in what capacity were you using the element? HLT, Kettle? I use one on my HERMS setup, but use different elements on my HLT (kettle is gas).

Back