Keg King $10 in line regulator as a secondary reg.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxy

Reaction score
http://kegking.com.au/in-line-regulator.html

Anyone tried using one of these as a secondary regulator? Clearly you also need to add an inline pressure gauge so you can actually see what it's set to, but these can be found pretty cheaply (< $10) online from China.

KK says it's fine for gas or liquid up to 150 psi, and have a photo of them using it as a secondary reg.

Can't see why not. Might add up to a bit more once you factor in all the barbs/pieces you need to hook it up, but otherwise it should work.

I know you can get those micromatic secondary regulators, they're a bit more expensive at around $55, but looks like they're calibrated and they're ready to plug and play.

Coxy said:
http://kegking.com.au/in-line-regulator.html

Anyone tried using one of these as a secondary regulator? Clearly you also need to add an inline pressure gauge so you can actually see what it's set to, but these can be found pretty cheaply (< $10) online from China.

KK says it's fine for gas or liquid up to 150 psi, and have a photo of them using it as a secondary reg.
Thinking about it some more, if you had a few lines you wanted to run individually, if you could set your lines up with disconnects then you could have the one pressure gauge and only connect it up to the regulator you're calibrating. Once calibrated, you can disconnect it and forget about it.

Spread over a few different lines this could end up being cost effective.

takai said:
I have some of these around for an eventual test fit for the kegerator: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Regulator-Gauge-Adjustable-Mini-Paint-Dial-1-4-HVLP-Compressor-Spray-Gun/221697221019

Havent got around to it yet, but could be a good alternative.

Have several of these on spray guns and the like in the garage too: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HVLP-Spray-Gun-Air-Regulator-Pressure-Gauge-1-4-Inline-Air-Filter-Separator/122389011433
Getting those with a barb fitting would be perfect, though I guess the cost of 2 barbs on top of the regulator is bugger all.

I like it.

If you have one of the mini regs off the bulk buy,you could fit a barb to it and run a line from a manifold or T piece.

20161217_152048.jpg

pcqypcqy said:
Can't see why not. Might add up to a bit more once you factor in all the barbs/pieces you need to hook it up, but otherwise it should work.

I know you can get those micromatic secondary regulators, they're a bit more expensive at around $55, but looks like they're calibrated and they're ready to plug and play.
I've got 2 of the Micromatic ones, because I was sick of waiting for the KK ones to come back into stock.

They work alright, problem is they don't have check valves, so you need to add those somewhere along the line, making the system more complicated. They also use push in fittings (like the KK ones), which leak gas so that's just annoying... I'm thinking I'm going to silicone up those push in fittings. **** push in fittings.

I do like they have more easy to read and use adjustment. But the numbers on the dials don't represent the pressure you've got in the keg. After going through the second reg and a check valve I find I'm losing about 5 psi compared to what it says. (Can anyone explain, in stupid people terms so I can understand, why adding a check valve will reduce the pressure in a keg? I would have thought it would all equalise over time?)

It should equalise, the friction losses in a flow like that will be bugger all.

Maybe the calibration is off, or there's a leak like you say?

Most check valves have a forward pressure rating, something around 2psi. That is the minimum pressure difference there needs to be before the valve will open.
This means that the keg will always be 2psi short of the reg.

My kk manifold is a little annoying in that the forward pressure of one valve is much higher than others, so I end up with an undercarbed keg.

pcqypcqy said:
Thinking about it some more, if you had a few lines you wanted to run individually, if you could set your lines up with disconnects then you could have the one pressure gauge and only connect it up to the regulator you're calibrating. Once calibrated, you can disconnect it and forget about it.

Spread over a few different lines this could end up being cost effective.
That's a fantastic idea. I could potentially run individual pressures to my four kegs for ~$50 plus a few parts.

Coxy said:
That's a fantastic idea. I could potentially run individual pressures to my four kegs for ~$50 plus a few parts.
Post back if you end up doing it, I'd be keen to see how it performs.

I did try the kegking regulator, and it's false advertising. Highly irritating to discover this after I've gone to the effort of connecting it all up.

It is NOT a regulator. It is a needle valve/backpressure valve. It only reduces pressure when there is flow.

Don't waste your time like I did.

EDIT: Also, push in fittings are industry standard for compressed air. if they're leaking you've either got the wrong size, poor quality or assembled incorrectly.

Back