Keeping Fermenter Fridge Cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr3d470r

Reaction score
Hey guys

Living here in cairns i find it hard to keep the temps down and stable when fermenting! So i been reading about people using fridge's to keep a low and stable temp when fermenting and i just happen to have a spare fridge sittin in the shed. Was looking around ebay for somthing to control the temp and found this.

I like the look of this as theres no wiring and i can still use the fridge for beer when finished.

So whats ure thoughts will it do the job?

Doug :D

looks fine i have something similar that i have used for years.I just put the probe through the drip tray/condenser outlet hole at the bottom of the fridge(look inside at the back of the fridge) and that way you dont stuff the seal on the fridge door.Temp control is important but you dont need to go over the top.

Hey guys

Living here in cairns i find it hard to keep the temps down and stable when fermenting! So i been reading about people using fridge's to keep a low and stable temp when fermenting and i just happen to have a spare fridge sittin in the shed. Was looking around ebay for somthing to control the temp and found this.

I like the look of this as theres no wiring and i can still use the fridge for beer when finished.

So whats ure thoughts will it do the job?

Doug :D

Brilliant mate... looks the goods and the price looks good too..

I just bought an STC-1000 Brewmate which is much the same thing.

Only difference is I had to do all the wiring myself for the same price as what you're onto... Lucky I'm a sparkie.

These things can be tricky.

I say go for it! a steal at twice the price brother!

Thats looks to be pretty good. I may buy one myself as its in my very cheap budget range.

I have been put off by the ones you have to wire yourself, or get a sparky to do.
I prob could do it my self if i put my mind to it, some good instructions round the traps here as well.

Im going to send the seller a question asking about its voltage / amp ratings seeing it says reptile heat mat
temp controler, it may not be up to task for a fridge.

Thats looks to be pretty good. I may buy one myself as its in my very cheap budget range.

I have been put off by the ones you have to wire yourself, or get a sparky to do.
I prob could do it my self if i put my mind to it, some good instructions round the traps here as well.

Im going to send the seller a question asking about its voltage / amp ratings seeing it says reptile heat mat
temp controler, it may not be up to task for a fridge.

Hey bud..

If the controller has an output of 240V, the contacts have to have a minimum current rating of 10a...

No fridge aside from commercial or industrial fridges have a current rating higher than that..

Buy one of these, and so long as it complies with Australian standards, you're good to go!

Cheers.

James.

Also, as a rule

Most heaters will actually use more power than a fridge will! Crazy.

Sorry mate, one more thing...

Could be a problem.

What you want to find out from the seller on eBay is whether the 'contacts' on the temp controller 'open when above the governed temp', or 'close when above the governed temp'. Trust me, there's a huge difference.

Basically, the former is what you want if you have very low ambient temp and need to add heat to the brew, and the latter is when you have high ambient temps and it's necessary to cool your brew.

Factor this in with the high ambient temperature in Cairns and it's fairly obvious you're after the latter.

The idea is to have power supplied to the fridge (through the output) when the fridge goes above a certain temp (your own setting).

Hope this helps bro.

James.

PS. feel free to ask if this is confusing in any way...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Digital-Temper...=item3f0390ca0a

These are fantastic little things, just got one myself. Keeps the temp within half a degree for $30.
You can wire them up using a cut up extension cord so that one end goes into your power, the other you plug your fridge into. If you're interested, I can post pic of how I wired it as its not too complicated.

These are fantastic little things, just got one myself. Keeps the temp within half a degree for $30.
You can wire them up using a cut up extension cord so that one end goes into your power, the other you plug your fridge into. If you're interested, I can post pic of how I wired it as its not too complicated.

Wow wow wow!!!

This is the brewmate STC-1000, just rebranded? unbranded?

And it's cheap cheap cheap!

I'll provide a link to a thread where I helped another user wire it up for you...

The link includes photos and some fairly detailed info.

James.

Hope this works...
Virgin with this shit.
Linky?? [topic="50471"] Stc-1000 Wiring? (heat Only)
[/topic]

That's the type you need. Get yourself a 'jiffybox' from craftbrewer, or something similar from elsewhere, and your good to go. Set at fermentation, cold crashing, conditioning or beer temp.

Sorry mate, one more thing...

Could be a problem.

What you want to find out from the seller on eBay is whether the 'contacts' on the temp controller 'open when above the governed temp', or 'close when above the governed temp'. Trust me, there's a huge difference.

Basically, the former is what you want if you have very low ambient temp and need to add heat to the brew, and the latter is when you have high ambient temps and it's necessary to cool your brew.

Factor this in with the high ambient temperature in Cairns and it's fairly obvious you're after the latter.

The idea is to have power supplied to the fridge (through the output) when the fridge goes above a certain temp (your own setting).

Hope this helps bro.

James.

PS. feel free to ask if this is confusing in any way...

Ahh ok thanks for that advice.
So one way would be good for winter and one for summer.
I am looking to keep brewing through the crazy vic summers, so i want the to close when above govd temp
i assume that means its making the connection, turning on my fridge and keeping brew cool.
I am pretty good in winter using a reptile heat mat to keep temps up just using a timer
so hopefully it is the latter config, otherwise thos other one you have to wire up look ok too.

Will the seller be able to answer my question that is another question in itself

Ahh ok thanks for that advice.
So one way would be good for winter and one for summer.
I am looking to keep brewing through the crazy vic summers, so i want the to close when above govd temp
i assume that means its making the connection, turning on my fridge and keeping brew cool.
I am pretty good in winter using a reptile heat mat to keep temps up just using a timer
so hopefully it is the latter config, otherwise thos other one you have to wire up look ok too.

Will the seller be able to answer my question that is another question in itself
Have popped onto the listing and it appears to be the former...

You're spot on bout your conclusions with what's written..

Fellow user 'Can' provided a great link, to a great product on eBay, which is the same as the STC-1000 I've spoken highly about...

It provides both types of contacts described earlier...

Why is this handy?

You can put a heat pad inside your fridge, further enhancing the temperature accuracy of the heat control system!! Really not necessary though..

Check out Can's link... I reckon that's the way to go....

Cheers Bud..

James.

So its no good?

Well i might come back in the morning when my head is abit clearer lol

The seller on that link is quality_link2000.

I can vouch for them.

I purchased 4 of those controllers off them for what I thought was a bargin at $32 each. I see the strong aussie dollar has made them even cheaper.

You do need to have some idea about wiring or you could zap yourself.
You do need to mount them in a box... cutting the hole for the controller is the worst job I think.

The seller on that link is quality_link2000.

I can vouch for them.

I purchased 4 of those controllers off them for what I thought was a bargin at $32 each. I see the strong aussie dollar has made them even cheaper.

You do need to have some idea about wiring or you could zap yourself.
You do need to mount them in a box... cutting the hole for the controller is the worst job I think.
4 controllers= 4 brew fridges= :) :ph34r:
a man after my own heart :lol:
i'm waitin on my second unit.

[/quote]

One of those little Dremel tools makes short work out of that.

Cheers

With free postage from Hong Kong that is ridiculously cheap, God bless the Chinese and their inexpensive workforce ;)

With free postage from Hong Kong that is ridiculously cheap, God bless the Chinese and their inexpensive workforce ;)

I have 2 of these STC 1000's on my fermenting fridges as well. FANTASTIC units, and great prices!

Back