Keeping Fermenter Cool Without Electronic Temp Control.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
Recently I asked around and read a fair bit about fridges and temp control to keep my fermenter staying cool - no higher than 20 degrees, especially on 30+, or even 40+ degree days.

I was just wondering about your techniques to maintain constant low temps?

Thank you!

Hahaha man, you are just like I was when I was getting in to this. So many questions, so many many answers.

Best bet is find a room that sits at a constant temperature, preferably a pretty low one. Most people have a room in the low 20's, high teens at most times.

From there you can use a big ole tub filled with water, with a towel draped over the fermenter. Put some ice blocks in there to cool the sucker down and maybe get a fan going. That will drop it a few degrees.

That being said - I got my fridge set up for 150 bucks and IMO, the fact that I just punch in a number and walk away is more than worth the price.

Hahaha man, you are just like I was when I was getting in to this. So many questions, so many many answers.

Best bet is find a room that sits at a constant temperature, preferably a pretty low one. Most people have a room in the low 20's, high teens at most times.

From there you can use a big ole tub filled with water, with a towel draped over the fermenter. Put some ice blocks in there to cool the sucker down and maybe get a fan going. That will drop it a few degrees.

That being said - I got my fridge set up for 150 bucks and IMO, the fact that I just punch in a number and walk away is more than worth the price.

Noted well.

Thanks!

my first, and very basic way of keeping the temp down was putting the fermenter in a square plastic bucket, putting bottles of ice in around it and chucking a sleeping bag over the lot. very simple and on a 35 degree day it keeps at around 18, depending on how many bottles i use. when i first tried it it went down to 13 on a very hot day witht 4 bottles. now i usually use 1 or 2.
cheers

Go to Bunnings, buy a "Smash" 75 can cooler.

They are located with the eskies/outdoor stuff

They are Grey and flat

$30 + rotating 2x 2l icebottles brings 18 degrees here on 35+ days.

Of course, go the fridge option if $$$$/space allows.

Cheers

I also started out with the wet towel over the fermenter while in a tub of water with a fan, kept it about 20-22c
I now have a fridge I got given for free, needed a paint job so i hit it with a coat of Black chalkboard turned out well and cheap too :)
I still need to get a tempmate type controller for it but I seem to have got the dial in the right place for now.

Been trying to keep my first brew cool in the bath, with about 16 600ml frozen water bottles on a cycle between the bath and the freezer. Its very hard to keep that much water cool enough to cool the brew, especially when its 30+ outside. I often found the temp guage up to 26 degrees even though the 4-5 inches of bath water was more like 20-22.

Have a look for the BribieG setup with 2 fermentgers wrapped in a Duvet (Doonah)

edit http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=575197

Been trying to keep my first brew cool in the bath, with about 16 600ml frozen water bottles on a cycle between the bath and the freezer. Its very hard to keep that much water cool enough to cool the brew, especially when its 30+ outside. I often found the temp guage up to 26 degrees even though the 4-5 inches of bath water was more like 20-22.

Have a look for the BribieG setup with 2 fermentgers wrapped in a Duvet (Doonah)
You don't have a laundry tub you can put it in?

You don't have a laundry tub you can put it in?

Nah, the laundry will get wet....

I spotted a few options at Bunnings so heading down there again this weekend before brew #2

Also, I really cant stress how good gumtree is. They have free stuff a lot of the time. FREE STUFF!

Recently I asked around and read a fair bit about fridges and temp control to keep my fermenter staying cool - no higher than 20 degrees, especially on 30+, or even 40+ degree days.

I was just wondering about your techniques to maintain constant low temps?

Thank you!

Use or get a dead fridge and rotate frozen PET bottles as needed, got a lager brewing ATM with 4 x 1.25L bottles and 2 x 2L bottles keeping a contant temp of 8-9C

Cheers,
BB

In reply to your other thread about fridges, I posted a pic of my current system and as MarkMc points out, one of the uses I put the frozen PETs from the freezer to, is to run an 'overflow' fermenting area using a towel and doonah system. This is a great and foolproof method of fermenting around 18-20 degrees right through the summer. Currently I not only have a brew going in the dead fridge shown in the photo (as Boiler Boy suggests in his post above) but I also have two ales going in the towel/doonah setup. It takes about 3 minutes to swap out all the PET bottles every morning then my work is done for the day :)

In case you missed MarkMc's link, here 'tis again:

doonah_1.JPG
doonah_2.JPG
doonah_3.JPG

:) :)

i just stick my fermenter(s) in the bath tub, fill with water and direct a fan on it. most of the time it will stay around 19-20 on the hot days i get a towel onto it. the last heat spell perth got b4 christmas i only needed to chuck some frozen bottles in the tub once.

It's all a matter of convenience vs cost. That being said, if you value your time at a mere 10 dollars an hour, you will pay for a second hand fridge/tempmate set up in a year of brewing quite easily.

I'm currently running a fridge that I got after SWMBO decided we needed to upgrade our fridge in the kitchen. $5 timer from bunnings keeps it sitting at 18-20 pretty happily.

Go to Bunnings, buy a "Smash" 75 can cooler.

They are located with the eskies/outdoor stuff

They are Grey and flat

$30 + rotating 2x 2l icebottles brings 18 degrees here on 35+ days.

Of course, go the fridge option if $$/space allows.

Cheers

I've been looking at these over the past week. I noticed that they have a $16.00 version as well. For those who are wondering, these things are 500ml in diameter and about 400 ml high, plent big enough to fit a fermenter and pack ice bottles around it. To check temps or get a sample you simply collapse the "esky" (pull it down like a sock).

I'm thinking of using smaller bottles to get a more even spread of coolness, but these "eskies" mean no more messy ice baths and towels and they store away easily.

A quick question, if I put salt into my PET bottles with the water, will that make for more efficient cooling?

Cheers

I guess I'm answering my own question here. Yes, adding salt to the water in the PET bottle can drop the freezing point to around -20C. (Isn't Google great?)

Now the question is ....how much salt?

Is there anything else which is commonly available yet more efficient?

Cheers

I've been looking at these over the past week. I noticed that they have a $16.00 version as well. For those who are wondering, these things are 500ml in diameter and about 400 ml high, plent big enough to fit a fermenter and pack ice bottles around it. To check temps or get a sample you simply collapse the "esky" (pull it down like a sock).

I'm thinking of using smaller bottles to get a more even spread of coolness, but these "eskies" mean no more messy ice baths and towels and they store away easily.

A quick question, if I put salt into my PET bottles with the water, will that make for more efficient cooling?

Cheers

I have the 75 can one and it can fit the feremnter in (Coopers style) along with 3x 2l bottles (needed for the first day only - 2 daily after that) and I can zip it closed to keep the cool in.

It isn't tight but i would prefer it to an open top option.

While at Bunnings, make sure you get a second feremter for $16 as well. Bunnings calls them water drums and you have to buy the tap separately

Cheers

Back