Keeping Carboy Temperatures Stable

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsomeguy

Reaction score
Thinking of getting myself a glass carboy and have a question regarding keeping the temperatures stable with them.

I've been putting plastic fermenters in a fridge with an aquarium heater stuck inside to control temperatures via an external temp controller. This has worked well as I'm able to raise and lower the temperatures at will depending upon how the fermentation is going. My controller controls both heating and cooling. I simply set the temp at which the fridge turns on and the temp at which the heater turns on.

When using a glass carboy I can certainly stop the temperature from rising, simply adjust the turn-on point for the fridge. But how would I heat up the carboy should the temperatures drop ? Heater pad, heat belt ?

I'm not sure how well a heat pad would survive in a fridge and I'd prefer not to have to go to the minister of finance for more money to buy one at the moment.

Would there be any problems with using the aquarium heater in the carboy apart from trying to stop any bug from getting into the top of the thing ?

Thanks,

gary

Would there be any problems with using the aquarium heater in the carboy apart from trying to stop any bug from getting into the top of the thing ?

Thanks,

gary

I wouldn't recommend an aquarium heater in yer carboys for a few reasons.

Check out my heater mod. Total cost was around $5. It's a 40w bulb in terracotta pot (to prevent light striking) on a garden paver. It's temp controlled using a FridgeMate in heating mode. Works a treat and cost will keep SWMBO in check (or is it the other way around? :p )

Cheers,
reVox

You could also put your aquarium heater to another use as per Devo's Great Idea.

Myself I use a cabinet insulated with styrofoam, an infra-red reptile bulb and a Fridgemate controller.

Warren -

I agree - I would much rather use an aquarium heater in some water surrounding the fermenters, than having it dangled in the wort. And with a glass carboy its even easier as there are no taps being submerged (always makes me a little nervous, although haven't had any problems).

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I've been using aquarium heaters in plastic fermenters for a few years now without any problems apart from one I broke while cleaning it.

I'm not sure I'll be able to put a carboy in a water bath then be able to fit the whole thing inside the bar fridge I use as a fermentation chamber.

gary

how large is your aquarium heater and will it fit in the mouth of a glass carboy, with cord, etc? i just measured the mouth of one of my carboys and I see around 27mm of opening, tops.

if you are really insistent on immersing a heater into wort, I'm sure it can be done - i would detach the lead from the cord and drill out a bung, so you can force the cord thru it, presumably airlocking it - maybe a second hole off to the other side of your bung to house a small blowoff or airlock. i've seen it done before (and similar custom bung/setups while trolling the net).

Perhaps a heat belt would better suit your needs.

hope helps,
reVox

Its a difficult time of year in my shed where the temps for ale brewing are a little low. I wrap an old water bed heater around the fermentor with my fridgemate probe in between. The whole lot sits on the floor of the shed wrapped in R2.5 batts.

works for me

daniel

how large is your aquarium heater and will it fit in the mouth of a glass carboy, with cord, etc? i just measured the mouth of one of my carboys and I see around 27mm of opening, tops.

if you are really insistent on immersing a heater into wort, I'm sure it can be done - i would detach the lead from the cord and drill out a bung, so you can force the cord thru it, presumably airlocking it - maybe a second hole off to the other side of your bung to house a small blowoff or airlock. i've seen it done before (and similar custom bung/setups while trolling the net).

Should fit with no problems. All of my aquarium heaters have a bung fitted part way along the cord so that you simply drilled a hole in a plastic fermenter lid and fed the heater through it. Been working a treat for several years with no problems. I think I'll drill a second hole in the bung to fit an airlock and give that a go.

I don't think there's any real problem with putting an aquarium heater directly into the wort. As long as sanitation is up to scratch there should be no problems. A little extra work cleaning once fermentation has finished but apart from that...

gary

Ive been using a heat pad in the fridge for over a year now, during winter I dont turn the fridge on, no need to as its outside, I turn the heat pad on b4 going to bed then off at 6.00am when I go to work, temp is fairly stable at 18c so far, it varies 1c + or -

Latest posts

Back