Kabooby's Brew Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabooby

Hey muscly arms!!!!
Reaction score
I have been using my BBQ and a workbench in the past but I think it's about time to move on. Last night I started to design my brew rig. I am planning on setting it up as a HERMS and have a similar layout to the B3 1550. One of the main reasons I choose this design is for storage space. This unit should fit into my garden shed and have most of my brewing gear attached.

Here is a pic of what it is going to look like

brewstand.JPG

I am going to use flexible silicon hose to connect the HLT and the Mash tun, gravity from the Mash tun to the Kettle.

I will look at doing the stand over the next few weeks.

All feedback & suggestions welcome

Kabooby :)

You could almost go gravity if the HLT is on top then mash tun then the kettle - but if there is not enough room to fit a fermenter under the kettle that can drain into easily - then just swap the mash tun and hlt over.

Then you can gravity feed from HLT to mash tun - then pump from mash tun thru HLT hermes coil back into mash tun.

Suggestion:
underlet into mash tun from hlt.

Hope this helps

Pics of my rig in the yahum gallery,when it was set up similar to that, too Kabooby.....I think!!

nice to see kabooby let me know if I can help you in the bling department mate

Frank

Hey Kabooby,

Just make sure the mash tun ain't too high up so you don't have to stand on a ladder to stir the thing.

gary

GMK,
I want to keep the kettle to the side so that there isn't condensation going into the control panel and then dripping back down into the kettle.

The B3 1550 is set up this way so I will try it this way first and see. I might try swapping the Mash tun and HLT though and see how it goes for a few brews. Thats the beauty of this system. It should be easy to swap things around. Dont really want to swap things around during the brew. With 40L batches the mash tun can get heavy. Definately going to underlet.

Linz,
Thanks mate I will have a look.

Franko,
No worries mate, I don't want to take you away from finnishing the "Red Rocket" ;)

Justsomeguy,

Ive worked it out that the top of the Mash tun will be a 1600 high. Thats high enough for me look in. I am thinking about adding a step to the brewstand like the B3 1550 just to make it easier.

Hey Kabooby ! you mash 80 litres in a day on your BBQ

how much will you mash on this 'Brew rig' ????

You need serious councelling this hobby, It is going too far .( I will send 'Dr Franko' around to check the results :blink: )

Linz our 'Brew Guru' :super: , You have to wheel that 'Tower of Terror' out to mash at least once more, than just Anzac Day ;)

Pumpy :)

Still looking at doing 80 litres, but now I will be able to cook some snags for lunch as well :beer:

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Hey kabooby
they've got cheap step ladders you can fold up at bunnings.

nice to see kabooby let me know if I can help you in the bling department mate

Frank

OR you could use it to make beer

One thing i can se is access to the mash tun to stir it....... are you going to use a ladder or will it be lower than im thinking.

Looks great.......... i love the combo of gravity feed and pump system.

cheers

Its going to be @ 1600mm to the top of the mash tun. Thats high enough for me to look into without a ladder or step but it might be easier for stiring if there was a step.

I am thinking of using a step similar to the rig in here

Might even hook up a caravan step that slides away into the rig when not being used

After doing lots of reading for my new HERMS I am undecided about putting in a smaller heat exchanger or using my HLT. I think with the procedure I am going to use the HLT will be fine, but I could be wrong.

All vessels are 50l keg style and batch size is 40L.

This will be my procedure
1. Heat water in HLT for mash in
2. Underlet water into Mash tun for protein rest
3. While protein rest is going add more water to HLT
4. Heat up HLT water to a few degress higher than intended mash temp
5. When HLT water is at desired temp turn on the pump and start recirculating
6. After Sach period increase the temp in the HLT for a mash out
7. After mash out drain by gravity into kettle
8. Pump sparge water into mash tun

I guess the main difference from other systems is that I wont be recirculating through the heat exchanger/HLT during the protein rest. I guess the temp will drop during this period but I am hoping with some good insulation of the lines this will be minimal.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Hey Kabooby you dont mention the gravel in the mash tun ;)

Pumpy :)

looks good. One qn. Underletting the water, can someone explain please :huh:

looks good. One qn. Underletting the water, can someone explain please :huh:

Instead of putting the water on top of the grain you put the water into the mush tun under the grain bed. That way the water soaks into the grain and doesn't create air pockets

kabooby said:
Instead of putting the water on top of the grain you put the water into the mush tun under the grain bed. That way the water soaks into the grain and doesn't create air pockets

Thanks. still a noob at the AG thingo :rolleyes:

Well I tested out the new system today. I was planing on doing 40L of APA and 40L of my Belgian for the NSW xmas case and only ended up doing the APA. I had a few dramas :(

It pretty much went to shit when the sparge stuck after the first few litres went through the pump. After adding 500g of rice hulls I was able to get it flowing but not enough to raise the temp via the heat exchanger. I ended up using my immersion heater and finnished the mash.

I also found that my mash tun false bottom had collopsed :( . This is the first time this has happened.

Anyway, I still got 40L of APA at the end of the day.

Might have to make a few changes for the next brew,
- Insulate the hoses for the recirculation
- Dont crack the grain so fine
- Use a smaller seperate vessel for the HE

Latest posts

Back