Ka-plucking-pow!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
This thing let go no more than one metre from my head today:
kapow.JPG

Was it loud?

Hell yes, it was LOUD!

PZ.

*spelling edited*

What sorta pressure, or just randomn failure ?
Bit scary.... think of how much beer coulda been wasted if it was the othery :)

That is a strange one allright.... the tube does look a a bit on the thin side though..... most tube, say 6x4mm (od x id) will be rated to 1000KPa+ so, check your regulator, and if that is not going over pressure, then there must have been a weak spot in your tube.

dreamboat

No no, it's proper tubing, just went pop due to my own stupidity.

I was gassing a keg using a SodaStream cylinder & my Taiwanese "regulator"...it's just a valve with a bottle pressure guage.

Got distracted and didn't turn it quite all the way off before removing the gas QD from the keg.

Saw the line swelling, held it at arm's length, turned head, held my breath..........BANG! :lol:

PZ.

AT LEAST YOU'RE NOT SHOUTING :)

hmmm nasty blow out, I hope your hearing isn't damaged...

Seems these lines are easily stressed at this point. I must remember to check mine. Thanks for the heads up FL_B

Fingerlickin_B said:
No no, it's proper tubing, just went pop due to my own stupidity.

I was gassing a keg using a SodaStream cylinder & my Taiwanese "regulator"...it's just a valve with a bottle pressure guage.

Got distracted and didn't turn it quite all the way off before removing the gas QD from the keg.

Saw the line swelling, held it at arm's length, turned head, held my breath..........BANG!
[post="98332"][/post]​

A timely reminder that CO2 in those bottles is something like 800 PSI (from memory) and can do serious damage. Us homebrewers do some pretty dodgy stuff and usually get away with it (not always).

a propper regulator on high pressure gas bottles is like an earth leakage protection for you home.... essential if you plan to tinker I say....
I started out with a converted soda stream button as a regulator on my parth keg. All cool untill you put it in a room full of beer swillers and kids... someone is bound to go "what does this button do" !!!

Fingerlickin,
I just noticed this thread, I did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago (soda stream bottle etc.) It was like a gun going off.
SWMBO came running out to the garage thinking she would find me in bits. Certainly reinforces that you need to treat compressed gasses with respect. The hole in your gas line is identical to the one in mine "snap".

Cheers
Brad T

P.S Must be something in the Canberra water that makes us want to play on the dangerous side.

Back