Just Started Beersmith And Going Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
I've just got Beersmith and going AG very soon, was just confirming something I was playing around with...

If i wanted a mash temp at 65C with 10 litres of water and 5kg of grain would my strike temp have to be 73C, thats what beersmith said if I've plugged it in right... Reason I ask is because i remember hearing just have the water 3 degrees higher than you intended mash temp...

cheers phil

I've just got Beersmith and going AG very soon, was just confirming something I was playing around with...

If i wanted a mash temp at 65C with 10 litres of water and 5kg of grain would my strike temp have to be 73C, thats what beersmith said if I've plugged it in right... Reason I ask is because i remember hearing just have the water 3 degrees higher than you intended mash temp...

cheers phil

Yeah mate thats correct, with a cold mash tun, and cold grain, I mash in at about 77 to hit 66 in the tun

Paul

That sounds about right, I mash at 78 with a 50L SS MLT that is just a room temp, but I mash 4:1 water to grain.

cheers phil
The idea is you set it up for your equipment and method.
I've had to adjust mine recently as I was consistently getting 3-4C above my intended temp, and having to quickly adjust, after it being correct for a while.
I'm finding a smaller loss than the 11C Paul gets, but my mash tun is plastic and my grain is stored at ambient, so it isn't cold at the moment...
You have to play around in the beginning until you get used to your system and find the best method.

2L/kg, is there a reason for the thick mash or is this just for an example? Remember if adding water 10 or11 degrees hotter than the required mash temp............Add the water to the bare tun, close up and wait for 5 min for the tun to absorb heat before adding grist. You don't want to be adding water that hot to your grist and screwing up your mash temp profile.

Cheers,

Screwy

The idea is you set it up for your equipment and method.
I've had to adjust mine recently as I was consistently getting 3-4C above my intended temp, and having to quickly adjust, after it being correct for a while.
I'm finding a smaller loss than the 11C Paul gets, but my mash tun is plastic and my grain is stored at ambient, so it isn't cold at the moment...
You have to play around in the beginning until you get used to your system and find the best method.

This is the most important thing as bconnery states, set up you equipment profile. Weigh your mash tun and select the correct material it is made from and BeerSmith pretty much will put you right on the required degree.

Andrew

cheers, um yeah I'm actually still researching all the procedure etc. saw a demo and grain and grape and got inspired to go AG but missed the mash :( so will have to go watch another one to learn mash thickness etc and what gear i need to get...

Latest posts

Back