Just Racked Off Into A Cube, Have A Few Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I just racked off into a cube and I have a few questions...

The cube seems bigger than 20L, hence I have a small amount of headspace in it (air) I would have liked to have avoided it, but its there now. Will this small amount (about half a litre) spoil my beer?

The beer was slowly bubbling, I have just the cap just cracked, judging that it would purge co2 if the pressure gets to great, I think it is sealed enough not to let in air, it is on just slightly firm.

I am hoping that seeing the co2 is still coming out (very slowly) the air will not be a problem.

I will check it every night, and if needed crack the lid to let gas out.

Do you guys think its a recipe for disaster?

Oh by the way, its not a bad brew, Brewcraft Cold with the included yeast (I would have liked a better yeast, but I had none at the time.)

You'll normally get some headspace when using a jerry as a cube - I do too.
If you rack carefully the head space wont be a problem. I normally check it everyday and crack the lid, If you keep it at fermentation temp for 24 hours it may produce a little co2 as racking is 1 way to restart a stalled ferment

relax and have a home brew ;)

when you are ready to bottle or keg the brew, if you have the fridge space, chill the brew for 24 hours to assist the yeast to flocc and drop out - if you like really clear beer of course :D

Tell me, will cold crashing alter the taste of the beer at all?

Yep. It will improve it, as it will help clear the beer. Less yeast flavour, more beer flavour. (unless of course you're doing a yeast driven style that needs that cloudiness.) ;)

Yep.
But most people like to clear the beer prior putting it in the keg.

I brew to 25L in a 30 then rack to a 25 which is a tad bigger than the advertised capacity and there is always a slight headspace. I just chuck in two or three good ol carb drops, just enough to produce a small amount of CO2 over a few days to flush the headspace. Probably unnecessary but hasn't done any harm so far. Insurance policy only, you should be fine with your setup.

Did exactly the same thing last month and was also concerned. I thought what the hell, I'll see how it turns out. Did nothing except leave it in the jerry can for 4 weeks at 1 Deg.C. then kegged and primed. No Probs at all perfect lager. Having said that some of the ideas above are worth thinking about.

Fear_n_loath

I ferment all my lagers in cubes, and usually only do 18-19 litres in a 20litre (read - 23litre) cube.. I just leave the cap screwed on tight and vent the pressure manually every now and then... No probs so far...

+ 1 also For crash cooling the beer before kegging, and if you have some, a tsp of gelatine goes down a treat! I used gelatine for the first time the other day, 1 day before kegging and the beers come out beautifull!

Latest posts

Back