Just Mashed In At 5.15am

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished at 11.30...... i'm pretty happy with that. it takes me this long as it's only my 4th ag. plus i had to stop between mash and sparge to look after the boy for a while. so all in all i'm happy with the timing.

my stout is looking & smelling great. pitched some of ringwood from my last brew a couple of weeks ago. 1st time doing that. was en experience!

now i'm taking the boy to his first ever game of footy (bulldogs vs saints).

what a day!

cheers everyone

christmasbender

Was done and dusted at 13:10 ,
all washed up and packed away... 42lts @ 1048 NS Ale , 54lt @ 1054 Smoky choc porta. :icon_drool2: ...

cheers

I've done all times of the day, Mashed in at 6:30pm on my first ever AG, many other times I'll mash in around 11am, and due to a 90minute mash I normally duck off the shops and do the shopping and then return to lift the bag and fire the urn up to boiling....

Not sure how long I take from start to finish, but I tend to get alot of other stuff done at the same time, I have an alarm on the laptop for a hop timer and with the urn I know it can't boil over, so I tend to get housework/cooking/playing with the little one done at the same time.

Although, the other day I set the urn on a timer the night before, crushed the grain ready to go and basically woke up, checked the temp and mashed in......

By the time the wife and daughter were up, I was lifting the bag.

So all you early mashers.... I'm assuming you crush your grain the day before to avoid waking the rest of the household? If so, are there any risks of reducing the "freshness" of the malt while it is sitting in the tun/bucket/bag the night before, particularly in humid conditions?

Cheers - Snow.

Absolutely none. One benefit of crushing/measuring the night before is you can bring it inside and keep the chill of off it. That will help with calculating dough in temp.

So all you early mashers.... I'm assuming you crush your grain the day before to avoid waking the rest of the household? If so, are there any risks of reducing the "freshness" of the malt while it is sitting in the tun/bucket/bag the night before, particularly in humid conditions?

Cheers - Snow.

none that I've noticed Snow,,, I crush back into an old grain bag and it gos back in the deep freezer I store my grain in .. next day or the one after I pre warm my tun , grab a bag of cracked grain and and I'm away..as I try too get 2 batches in a day out , I like too have the 2nd one in the tun befor the boil is compleat on the first so if any dust is floating around it's not going to land on anything thats cooling ..

cheers

I should add that lighting a nasa @ 04:30 can cause loud protests for the daughters room (it backs onto the brewery) So if I haven't crushed its no big deal , I have about 15mins too get it done while the hlt comes up ... lol ..

cheers

I find lately these no regularity time wise when I brew - after work, early morning mid afternoon

When I get the opportunity I jump on it

I've got a timer so I can have water pre-heated - and cause I'm all electric - there's not real noise for people to complain about

I've finished an cleaned up well within 4 hours

I used to do two different brews in a day but now just the one

Cheers

Back