Brew not fermenting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Hudson

Reaction score
I have just started home brewing as I was given a kit for my 78th birthday. After a successful ginger beer starter I am trying a Morgan’s 150 Lashes Pale Ale. But fermentation has not started after 3 days ie 72 hours. If it is stuck, so am I.

Can anyone advise me how to get it going please?

Hi Ryan, can you confirm it hasn’t started by taking a gravity reading?
Hi razz.

Thanks for your interest. This afternoon I did a lot of research, but I’m still uncertain how to proceed. I did take a reading but the numbers on my hydrometer do not show any with 4 figures. On Saturday 11th May the figure I recorded was 104, which I took to be 1040. Today’s reading was 1013. I should mention that the first reading was done when the temperature was 22 to 26 on the stick-on thermometer provided with the kit. I realised this was higher than recommended so I moved the vessel to a cooler area and it soon steadied to 18 to 22 range, from Sunday onwards. A direct comparison isn’t possible (for me) but maybe fermentation is progressing, just not visible in the air lock. Also when I removed the vessel lid there was a number of creamy bubbles on top, which convinced me all is not lost. At that time I gave the liquid a vigorous stir right down to the bottom and aerated the top, in preference to adding yeast and/or nutrients, none of which I have to hand. It frothed up while I was stirring. Another good sign?

If I have the same feelings tomorrow I intend to add the hops, as though all is well, and proceed normally.

If you can draw any conclusions from all the above and suggest a better way forward, I shall be grateful for your guidance. When I started researching I realised there is much to learn. That’s why I opted for the kits while I gain experience.

104 is 1.04?, and to get it down to 1.013 means it's certainly fermenting. The bubbles on top are also a sign it's fermenting. Normally not a good idea to stir and aerate once it's underway, but you'll probably be fine. Don't worry, add your hops (presumably dry hops?), and let it do its thing for a few more days, and check your gravity again.

104 is 1.04?, and to get it down to 1.013 means it's certainly fermenting. The bubbles on top are also a sign it's fermenting. Normally not a good idea to stir and aerate once it's underway, but you'll probably be fine. Don't worry, add your hops (presumably dry hops?), and let it do its thing for a few more days, and check your gravity again.

I attach a photo to explain where I recorded my sg readings from. My OG was spot on 1.040 and the interim reading yesterday was 1013, by counting the segments where the liquid rested, between 1.100 and 1.000. Taking first readings that were out of context of my limited knowledge, I hope this is correct. With more understanding I believe this SG reading method is right and tells me the brew is working OK. Can you re-assure me please?
Thanks for helping a rookie. This is a good learning curve!
IMG_9426.jpeg

1.040 is at the bottom of the yellow zone.
1.013 is the level where the letter 'H" starts in the word FINISH.

Yes, I was reading in the right place but on re-checking the interim reading should say 1.106. I had counted 3 segments but didn’t realise they represented .002 each. I think 1.106 still confirms fermentation was well underway. Thanks for the tip about not aerating. I understood this was a good way to try to start a fermentation and at that time I thought mine hadn’t started. That’s why I removed the lid to stir it up and aerate it. When I saw the bubbles on top I didn’t know what I was looking at, but I now know that was a sign of fermentation. Subsequent SG reading seems to confirm that. If it happens again, I will know the signs and be more patient. Yesterday afternoon I added the dry hops. Now leaving it for 4 or 5 days before taking reading to confirm it’s finished. I hope it turns out okay but I’ve learnt a lot and gained hands-on experience. Thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back