Johnson Temp Controller - Arrgghh!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Johnson "A1" (?) temp controller. I think it's just your standard temp controller.

The instructions that come with it are extremely brief, and well over my head. Has anyone out there successfully installed one of these things? if so, is there a good source of instructions or pics on the internet.

I have searched these forums a fair bit for help and have so far come up with nothing. If there is in fact something here, could you please put a link to it if it is easily accessible to you?

Alternateively, please feel free to tell me I'm "dreamin'" if you think that I have buckleys of being able to do it. Basically, my background is that I am a computer nerd with no sparky knowledge other than that requred to put together a computer.

I'm dreamin aren't I?

I have one of these doohickeys. I got it mail order from somewhere in the east many years ago, it came assembled with an electrical lead fitted.

Is yours disassembled? What exactly do you need to do to it to get it working?

fwiw, it works great and is accurate to the degree.

This may be a different unit but might help

tc3.JPG

fantastic! Great help.
So:
I assume you using this for cooling, not heating, and that this unit deals with the power cord before it reaches the fridge.
My unit is very similar, but it is lacking the cords at the bottom.
Thanks, I am off to investigate my unit with some renewed optimism!
Cheers.

OK - I (think) I've had a win.
On further invetigation (and a bit of disassembling), I have discovered the following:
* The "temperature control" in the fridge section just opens a gate connecting the freezer to the fridge.
* The Freezer seems to house the actual temperature controller.
So, as it stands, the most cold your fridge can get is reliant on the temperature of your freezer.

Please let me know if this is unlikely to be the case. I am kind of running blind a bit.

Anyway, I was thinking that I will replace the freezer's controller with the Johnson, and put the thermometer through to the fridge section. I will then leave the gate from the freezer to the fridge wide open.
End result - the freezer unit will turn on and off based on the measured reading in the fridge. Am I on the right track?
I attach some pictures of the controller I found (if it is a temp controller). You can see that a blue and white wire go to the two top contacts, and a green wire goes into the middle of the spiral of the temp controller. Any ideas what each of the wires are?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Steve.

temp_contrl1.jpg

temp_contrl5.jpg

Sorry Mongo way over my head, I'm not qualified to offer in depth electrical advice,
I think there are others here who are fridgeys/sparkies that would be of more assistance.
My unit is for mounting outside the fridge and merely turns the power on or off to achieve the desired temp, I think they are the same units though.

Good luck and be bloody careful.

no responsablity no care no sue me if you kill your self

take the blue wire and connect it to your new Switch on the bottom termails (red dot from memory on J&J controllers)as vlad has the brown on the bottom this is the common of your switch next take the white from the firdge connect it to the top of the controller yellow dot and take the green yellow and connect it to the body of the controller where vlad has his done . Now if this done not work you may need to more the white wire from the yelow dot connector to the blue dot connector and give that a go

go luck and Unplug it before rewiring it

And the moderators censor out Titties????????????????????????????

Vlad and sintax,

Thanks very much for your help. The fridge is going like a little beaty at the moment. It ended up being a very simple job to perform!

Cheers. :)

Latest posts

Back