New guy with a temp question.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Cooper

Reaction score
Hi all.
About to bottle my first brew this weekend. Extract and steeping grain amber ale using a Gen3 Robobrew. Very excited in my new hobby.

But......

I have used a fridge controlled by the KegKing MK2 temp controller as a fermentation chamber. The fermenter has a stainless thermowell I installed. I'm confident in the setup Ive put together but in my enthusiasm I didnt even think about calibrating the MK2 controller before starting fermentation.

I have found that the controller has been out by 2 to 3 degrees so the ferment has been on the cold side. Probably 15.5 to 16 degrees. I had been wondering why the ferment was coming along so slowly.

I would love any recommendations of trusted handheld digital thermometers I could buy. Preferably one which I can calibrate and then use as a "master" which I will check the Robobrew and fridge controller against.

Thanks in advance.

A few guys have the thermo pen. They're a but hexy but everyone that owns one says they're the bees knees. Good warranty and very fast at reading temp.

I have found that the controller has been out by 2 to 3 degrees so the ferment has been on the cold side. Probably 15.5 to 16 degrees. I had been wondering why the ferment was coming along so slowly.
Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation for an accurate digital thermometer. However, maybe check the MkII against boiling water (100 deg C) and with ice water (0 deg C). I did this with my MkII controller and found negligible offset...maybe 0.2 deg.

Sorry, I don’t have a recommendation for an accurate digital thermometer. However, maybe check the MkII against boiling water (100 deg C) and with ice water (0 deg C). I did this with my MkII controller and found negligible offset...maybe 0.2 deg.
I will do that this weekend.

Latest posts

Back