Joe White Pilsner Vs Weyermann Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only used it for a Kolsch though

So on the topic of domestic vs import. I've found the BB ale malt actually pretty great when brewing ales with a bit more malty background, in fact compared to TFFMO I haven't noticed too much difference. Though this is with the caveat that I haven't brewed side by side and tasted them.
Though I have found the import ale malts pretty good in general and not of inferior quality, just not something that immediately struck me as "wow this is all I'll ever buy again"

Has anyone done that or have some input on say our ale malts vs international/import ale malts?

Barrett Burston ale is lovely malt. For some reason it's not that easy for us Mexicans to get ahold of, as far as I know, even though it's malted in Geelong, VIC.

Voyager rocks. I'm not big on JW, had some odd beers out of it. That said, a well-known homebrew shop subbed JW pils for Weyermann when I was brewing a kolsch, and people sucked it down like mother's milk. Hell, even my MIL was drinking it for breakfast.

Brew what you love, love what you brew. However I don't love what I'm currently drinking, which I brewed, but today alcohol is necessary.

Barrett Burston ale is lovely malt. For some reason it's not that easy for us Mexicans to get ahold of, as far as I know, even though it's malted in Geelong, VIC.

Voyager rocks. I'm not big on JW, had some odd beers out of it. That said, a well-known homebrew shop subbed JW pils for Weyermann when I was brewing a kolsch, and people sucked it down like mother's milk. Hell, even my MIL was drinking it for breakfast.

Brew what you love, love what you brew. However I don't love what I'm currently drinking, which I brewed, but today alcohol is necessary.
Well mate we'll just have to have a few with ya.;)

So which one ended up in the beer - the JW or Weyermann?

Meanwhile, I was pretty sure that JW had a Lager malt as well as Pils. That may have been the distinction between 'normal' and 'export'. Though I'm thinking back about 15 years when they were at Dinmore or Redbank - I'm sure things have changed.

So which one ended up in the beer - the JW or Weyermann?

Meanwhile, I was pretty sure that JW had a Lager malt as well as Pils. That may have been the distinction between 'normal' and 'export'. Though I'm thinking back about 15 years when they were at Dinmore or Redbank - I'm sure things have changed.
It was the JW that ended up in the kolsch.

Love Kolsch!.

For me it's about the yeast with that beer. Delicate soft fruit characters that the yeast throws.

Point being, not so much "malt" driven. But also not to be ignored.

Love Kolsch!.

For me it's about the yeast with that beer. Delicate soft fruit characters that the yeast throws.

Point being, not so much "malt" driven. But also not to be ignored.
I was going to ask since I haven't found out any more information (and your site doesn't have more information). But what is "porter malt", is a base malt like the stout malt that has been popping up recently? or is it a brown malt? roasted?

I was going to ask since I haven't found out any more information (and your site doesn't have more information). But what is "porter malt", is a base malt like the stout malt that has been popping up recently? or is it a brown malt? roasted?
It's not the Tooheys Old choc malt by chance?

Before Joe White was brought by Cargill, they used to call Porter Malt what is now called Roasted Malt.
It is I believe made to Coopers specifications, it is the only difference between Coopers Pale Ale and Coopers Dark Ale. I think it is what Coopers use to make their stout too.
Mark

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/attach...5/?temp_hash=06a59397ccea092aeec71c132dbeaab9

Attachments

• National_Home_Brew_ID-53998_201302210346266552.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 147
Before Joe White was brought by Cargill, they used to call Porter Malt what is now called Roasted Malt.
It is I believe made to Coopers specifications, it is the only difference between Coopers Pale Ale and Coopers Dark Ale. I think it is what Coopers use to make their stout too.
Mark

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/attach...5/?temp_hash=06a59397ccea092aeec71c132dbeaab9
Huh cool, so is it different from say black malt?
I do remember coopers stout having a bit of ashiness/acridness to it, I guess it'd be from this malt.

Back