Joe white export pils Vs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
Just trying to get some feed back on what the difference in flavour is, if any on the local Joe white export pils malt and say best maltz pils . I will be trying the Joe white pils this weekend on a helles, am I wasting my time?

I've used lots of best pilz in recent years. It's pretty good but it leaves a "mousy" character in beers that aren't super hoppy. That may not necessarily a bad thing and is just my opinion. I drank every batch I brewed with it haha. Recently tried dingemans pils and love it for Belgians. Weyermann is always good too

Nothing wrong with JW Pils, it's a very good malt, just doesn't have quite the same depth of flavour that the Weyermann or other pils has, but it's a good cheap reliable malt

Hi TBW,

I just used up the last of a 25kg bag of the JW export pilsner that I bought to try out.

It's a very good clean malt that can produce good beer. My advice is to try it and make up your own mind.

So far I've used 25kg bags of Weyermann pilsner (Incl. 2x premium pilsner) and the BB pale malt as bases for lots of different beers. The lager style beers tend to highlight the differences in the bases more than anything else and they all taste slightly different as you'd expect.

All make very drinkable beers if you get the other parts of the process in line.

I kinda think any subtle complexities which a malt could add, is only going to become apparent if all other aspects of your process are well understood and under control, especially yeast management.

If it was 100% of ur grain bill and u wanted to enter a comp id get a better malt. Otherwise its fine.
Malt Quality is generally fairly consistant with price. Not always though. I recon best smoked malt kills all the others.

Anyways plenty of comparison opinions on ahb to make up ur mind. Or confuse u even more.

citymorgue2 said:
If it was 100% of ur grain bill and u wanted to enter a comp id get a better malt. Otherwise its fine.
Malt Quality is generally fairly consistant with price. Not always though. I recon best smoked malt kills all the others.

Anyways plenty of comparison opinions on ahb to make up ur mind. Or confuse u even more.
I've got 25kg of the best smoked malt CM2 and am really looking forward to trying it out.
I like the Joe White export pilsner malt, very clean, very little protien haze and it gives a great "subtle" malt taste.

AndrewQLD said:
I've got 25kg of the best smoked malt CM2 and am really looking forward to trying it out.
I like the Joe White export pilsner malt, very clean, very little protien haze and it gives a great "subtle" malt taste.
bum and I bought best smoke and split it. Its so aromatic.

I've been using Joe White Pils as a base for most of my ales. I use it as a foundation malt and then i use malts such as golden promise, Vienna, Munich, Joe while ale malt just to add different characteristics to the beer.
Very happy with the results i get from this malt and although i don't use it for pils or lagers ( I'm yet to try it for this breed of beverage) i am more than happy with the repeat ability of this malt....This is a true story

Latest posts

Back