James Squire Porter.. Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seravitae

Reaction score
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the James Squire porter. I picked up a 6-pack as I couldnt find a stout that tickled my fancy.

As far as commercial stuff goes, I think it's not too bad. A little roasty, strong coffee notes, chocolate bittering notes, very subtle hopping. Maybe a little more carbonation required but I generally like my beers with a low amount of carbonation.

Anyone elses thoughts?

I think its easily the best beer they do, though im not a huge fan of their stuff. I'd go for it over most things in that availability range.

I dont mind it occasionally, certainly better then some on the market.

I like it as well. Nice example of the style (brown porter). As far as the JS range goes, possibly a close second to their pilsner, or may even trump it. I used to LOVE golden ale, but not any more!!!!

Good to hear the positive comments as I got one in my chrissie pressie from the missus (yes it's still there, been crook and away)
Still can't drink for a while but at least I'm now looking forward to it even more!

Love the stuff! Very nice beer but i dont buy it too often. If you can get your hands on the 15L wetpacks from sydney, they make one that is very close and easy as to make, just add 5L of water.

I like it, but I like a lot of the James Squire range anyway.

Most recent time I had this was at the Generous Squire, and I had it after my meal, and it went down a treat. I love it :)

JS Porter Clone
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.76 L
OG: 1.050 SG
FG: 1.010 SG
Color: 21.1 SRM
IBU: 29.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.31 kg Pale Malt
0.13 kg Chocolate Malt
0.10 kg Wheat, Roasted
17.00 gm Super Alpha (60 min) Hops 26.5 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggle (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189)

Mash:
10 min Protein Rest 52.0 C
60 min Saccharification 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

JS Porter Clone

4.31 kg Pale Malt
0.13 kg Chocolate Malt
0.10 kg Wheat, Roasted

Mash:
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

Thanks Screwtop - have you made this? How close do you think it is?

JS Porter Clone

4.31 kg Pale Malt
0.13 kg Chocolate Malt
0.10 kg Wheat, Roasted

Mash:
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

What temp would you ferment this at?

Thanks Screwtop - have you made this? How close do you think it is?

Have only made it as an Ale, nice dry porter. It's not a brown porter (style wise) JS's version was a lager, unsure if it still is. I quite like the use of roasted wheat.

Screwy

Have only made it as an Ale, nice dry porter. It's not a brown porter (style wise) JS's version was a lager, unsure if it still is. I quite like the use of roasted wheat.

Screwy

Gday Screwy, I was about to ask about that lager yeast. So the JS guys used a lager yeast eh? That's a bit weird isn't it?

I'm guessing you used US05?

I like it! Close second to the JS IPA. Very enjoyable on a rainy day.

Gday Screwy, I was about to ask about that lager yeast. So the JS guys used a lager yeast eh? That's a bit weird isn't it?

Lager yeast is in style for a Baltic Porter. I brewed one a while back using W34/70 but didn't know what temp to ferment at. Jamil and Palmer have an example in Classic Styles brewed at 12 degrees. My Porter is still aging (what's left of it) and it's not that bad at all. Also used 200g Chocolate Wheat in it but it's nothin like the JS Porter.

Thanks screwy, that was my next question :p

I'll hold onto that mash bill and give it a go sometime.

Yes 05 and also S-04 with a little sugar (gasp) to give it a little help, best result was from Nottingham. Must make it according to the recipe one day, lagers are a pain in the Pils :lol:

Screwy

Nottingham at 14 degrees might be the go.
I might try it with 2206 one day or I wonder how 3068 or 2124 would go?

Latest posts

Back