James Squire Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob58

Reaction score
Hi Fellow brewers
I can find plenty of receipes for js amber ale & js golden ale Anybody have anything for a js pilsner brewing extract method
cheers Bob

You would need to get a very blonde malt extract, for example Morgans unhopped Extra Pale extract, use Czech Saaz hops and a true lager yeast such as W 34/70. How is your temperature control? you would need to ferment at below 15 degrees at least.

You would need to get a very blonde malt extract, for example Morgans unhopped Extra Pale extract, use Czech Saaz hops and a true lager yeast such as W 34/70. How is your temperature control? you would need to ferment at below 15 degrees at least.

No temperature control only cooler bag and ice bricks should be able to keep it down below 20c

Czech Saaz for bittering also, or can you sub something else? And about how many IBU's?

No temperature control only cooler bag and ice bricks should be able to keep it down below 20c
If you can't get it below 15, you are probably better off using US-05 instead of a true lager yeast like Bribie has suggested. But you won't get the real deal. Lagers (pilsners) without temp control are completely impractical. The best you can hope for is a faux lager using US-05 and crossing your fingers.

I made a faux lager with US-05, the morgans masterblend lager malt, a little wheat malt and LDME, and it came out OK. I didn't get the hops right though (hense my Q's to BribieG above)

Czech Saaz for bittering also, or can you sub something else? And about how many IBU's?

JS Pilsener is well hopped, I'm not sure what the IBUs are but I would definitely use 60g of Czech Saaz for a 60 minute boil, and add 30g for the last 15 minutes. Sounds like a lot of hops but true Saaz is a 'mild' hop when it comes to bittering.

If you can't get it below 15, you are probably better off using US-05 instead of a true lager yeast like Bribie has suggested. But you won't get the real deal. Lagers (pilsners) without temp control are completely impractical. The best you can hope for is a faux lager using US-05 and crossing your fingers.

I use US-05 all the time for 'fake' lagers and it does a great job, but its sweet spot is more like 17 degrees, but below 20 it will still do a clean job.

I made a faux lager with US-05, the morgans masterblend lager malt, a little wheat malt and LDME, and it came out OK. I didn't get the hops right though (hense my Q's to BribieG above)

Cheers Briby. I was looking for my next brew to have a go at a true lager. I've bought some hallertaur, and was aiming for 20 IBU's @ 60 mins, and about 30g @ flameout. I figure this will give me something a little hoppier then your average "premium" lager. Also looks to be close to what you are suggesting IBU wise.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but since trying to js pilsner at the generous squire I'm pretty interested in replicating it.
I've got a temp controled ferment fridge so if anyone has a extract or even kits and bits recipe similar to the js pilsner I'd love to hear it. :icon_cheers:

From the Louisiane brewhouse in Vietnam (recipes are designed by a guy who used to work for James Squire, now at lion nathan). Their pils recipe below as decipered from the Viet brewers. It is very similar to james squire and most of all, has Motueka hops! Maybe sub out the pacific jade for Czech Saaz to make up the difference? Either way its a very quaffable new world pils whcih competes well as a JS knock off. I dont know how you would replicate the munich with extract without steeping but atlest you could give the hopping rates a go. ;)

Pilsner
IBU 32
OG ?
FG ?
EBC: 16
ABV 5%

Ingredients
84% Pilsner Malt Joe White
16% Munich Joe White
Pacific Jade (60min) (guess 27 IBU)
Motueka (15mins) (guess 5 IBU)
Motueka (0 min) (guess .5gram/l final volume)
Wyeast Bohemian Lager Yeast

Mash temp 60 - 78 deg is all i could get out of them for all of the beers, its a step/ramp up mash temp.
Notes: ferment @ 10, ramp to 14, lager @ 0 deg.

Chlorde:sulphate ratio 2:1

I'm planing my next brew on whats been posted above.

Anyone know approx what the IBU is in JS Pilsner?

Thanks.

Back