James squire No7 Hop Theif

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowzky1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this varietal series release yet for this year?
I just picked a 6 pack up at Dan Murphys for 10 bucks as im a member.

Its actually quite amazing.
Anyone keen on helping me come up with a recipe to make a variant/clone of it?

I personally think it's average. I won't buy it again

**** James squires..

Sorry, that's not helpful..

Bribie did an attempt recently he was happy with...

Pm the old codger for specifics

;)

I quite like it and would and have bought it again but only if there wasn't anything better available! Which up here generally means I have to buy it again. There's other beers I much, much prefer but it's probably the best that JS does. The rest of their brews are *really* average.

I'm, in.love it. Ifound a recipe for number 6, but have not tried the commercial brew. Is it very different fron nu 7?

Shithouse. Nothing on Number 5. Lacking hop character - however, if they billed it as a golden ale, they'd probably pass.

Well I really like golden ales atm and being new to the ale and home brew scene im still very happy with clean crisp larger styles over way bitter heaps hoppy beers. However the palette is changing.
I never tried any of there other series no brews unfortunately.
Im sure doing it as a veriant/clone at home wed be able to make it 10x more amazing

When I did my extract version of number 6, it was pretty good, but the commercial example had just that little bit more. I think if I re did it with Galaxy and Mosaic, it would absolutely floor the current commercial example.

I love Galaxy and Mosaic, but this is just a waste of those beautiful hops.

If you follow Bribie's recipe, but sub for Galaxy and Mosaic to 40 ish IBU you will produce something far better.

A big waste of good hops.

EDIT: what Paul said..

Yeah I actually wanna make something full bodyd with great malt so its refreshing use a bit of rye so the spicy earthyness will dry out ya mouth encouraging to drink more then refresh it with some late addition of galaxy and or vic so as to give nice fruity aroma but keep in touch with tje earthy resin

Kinda bummed im the only fool that likes the hop theif no 7

paulyman said:
When I did my extract version of number 6, it was pretty good, but the commercial example had just that little bit more. I think if I re did it with Galaxy and Mosaic, it would absolutely floor the current commercial example.

I love Galaxy and Mosaic, but this is just a waste of those beautiful hops.

If you follow Bribie's recipe, but sub for Galaxy and Mosaic to 40 ish IBU you will produce something far better.
Whos bribie and whats his recipe? Where can I find it? Cheers

Was so excited when I herd about no.7 i rang around till I found some , drove 30min to get it .......so disappointed won't buy again

Bbowzky1 said:
Yeah I actually wanna make something full bodyd with great malt so its refreshing use a bit of rye so the spicy earthyness will dry out ya mouth encouraging to drink more then refresh it with some late addition of galaxy and or vic so as to give nice fruity aroma but keep in touch with tje earthy resin

Kinda bummed im the only fool that likes the hop theif no 7
Don't feel bummed. Once you have a few all grain brews under your belt, you will realise just how awesome these hoppy ales can get when done right. From that point, you will never look back.

Bbowzky1 said:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81065-hop-thief-6-clone/?p=1252146

Bbowzky1 said:
go to your messenger..

Type in Bribie (in the to field) and his name will appear (BribieG)

Ask for some specifics..

I'd look up the recipe but Im afraid I'll be forever tainted by the mediocrity that has afflicted that brewery...

James Squires is still a thief and deserves all the lashes he gets.. is it just me who thinks they're sending us up and getting away with it?

Insipid shit it is...

Not a fan Yob?

I'm a big fan of Chancer, but that's about it really. Hop thief isn't too bad off tap at my local pub though

Back