James Squire Hop Thief $$$$ I was robbed alright&

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester1

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to let you know of my experience with the new Hop Thief.
One of my locals is Panthers club at Penrith and out the front have their own bar named the Squires bar, with about four or five of their beers on tap, which in Penrith is a treat and as close to boutique as you can get here :angry:
Anyhow, i was lucky enough to get down there the first day they put this on, not my favourite beer but very enjoyable and fresh anyhow, as i said, a treat in Penrith!! What concerned me was the price, members price i think was $7.00 and non members $8.00. Pretty steep for a beer out here considering before a concert at a pub near the Entertainment Centre in Sydney, i paid $6.00 for one.
Now, i will pay good money for a good beer, and i know its a hoppy beer therefore a more costly to produce but how is that sort of price going to change my VB guzzling westie mates into buying something a bit nicer? No way is a VB drinker going to see this new beer at the bar and think of giving it a go, then sees the price and so orders a VB.
Im sorry for crapping on but i would love to see more of the finer beers come out on tap here, but how is this going to help? Im sure Chuck would want to change the culture too but surely this isn't the way to go. As i said, good beer, but come on, get real!

Was that for a pint or a middy? You should come to Perth and enjoy the beer prices here...

I paid $5.20 for a schooner of XXXX Gold on friday, and then $22 for the absolute worst chicken parmigiana I've ever tried to eat. Quick, better start a thread!

EDIT: just mucking around. But seriously, Robina Tavern - the place is f***ed.

Kaiser Soze said:
Was that for a pint or a middy? You should come to Perth and enjoy the beer prices here...
Neither mate, it was a schooner, i think 420ml? If it was a pint, that would be closer to the mark.
And Liam, $2.00 is too much for XXXX Gold!!

tigerbrew said:
Neither mate, it was a schooner, i think 420ml? If it was a pint, that would be closer to the mark.
And Liam, $2.00 is too much for XXXX Gold!!
Seems reasonable to me.

In Melbourne, a good price for a pot/middy of craft beer would be $5 - that's 285ml. You'd struggle to do better than that - in fact, you'd struggle to find that price. $10 for a pint (real pint size, not this Adelaide/US nonsense - jokes, kinda).

$7 for a 420ml glass? Seems perfectly okay to me.

But say you weren't a member, and you had to pay the $8.00 in Penrith but can pay $6 for one in the city? Why the big difference and as i said, thats not enticing the common beer drinker to have something new, wich is more the point i was getting at.
Hey, i was paying $10 for a bottle of Corona at a fight night in Melboune on saturday night. There were 3 of us so $30 a shout, and we had a fair few, its still beer right. But if Hop Hog was on tap here, well i'd pay anything!

Bloody hell. I bale up about paying $10 for a 640ml bottle of whoever's latest craft brew at Dans. There's buckleys I'd pay that for a Corona. It's just as well I'm getting old and don't have to do the club scene any more. :p

I dunno, when you see the lengths hardcore VB/CD drinkers will go for their favourite tipple...
They'll pay good money, but only for VB. Suggest a different beer? That's a p##fta drink.

Was buying a couple of bottles of wine (yep, wine) at the local bottle, an old bloke was getting served at the counter. He bought 6 cans of VB for $20.
I couldn't believe it, even he knew he was getting ripped off. He even queried it. But he paid for it.
All I could do was stand there, bite my tongue, and do an inner facepalm.

tigerbrew said:
But say you weren't a member, and you had to pay the $8.00 in Penrith but can pay $6 for one in the city?
Two fucken bucks.

solution:

1. invite your mates round
2. drink your own 'craft' beer to get your buzz on and to educate your mates
3. go out to this new bar
4. buy a few rounds with all the money you've saved not buying heaps of rounds at said bar
5. sexyfuntime

bum said:
haha, there's the going to the bar part first...before 5

EDIT: although, if that's your bag then there's nothing wrong with that either! :)

In the city, if you pay less than $8, you're going to get a shit beer.

bum said:
Two fucken bucks.
Problem Bum?

And Tiprya, at least you can get decent beer nearly anywhere in the city, as i said, I would pay it, but it aint gonna work out here charging that much, so things will never change.

I must say that between 6 and 12 dollars a schooner seems pretty normal for a craft beer on tap at a pub....but when you can make the same kind of beers at home for 15 dollars for 20 litres.......... you end up saving a bit. I actually dont mind a normal boring beer when I go to the pub cause I dont get to drink that stuff at home.
And yeh, hop hog is worth the money wherever you can get it.

Latest posts

Back