James Squire Hop Thief $$$$ I was robbed alright&

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay the $5.50 for membership and after 2 rounds, you're in front!

In related news. I had a few Hop Thiefs before the Panthers vs Roosters game a few weeks ago. It was very good. The three blokes I was with also enjoyed it. We were quite happy to pay the $7 (member price) for a schooner.

Be thankful Lion have invested so much into Panthers and are willing to put the James Squire bar in at all. Panthers was one of the places that got me onto better beer. I still remember drinking James Squire Amber Ale and Pilsener in my early 20s. After starting at O'Donoghues when they actually served a good range of British & Irish beers.

I agree Josh, I am a member and save big bucks throughout the year on their drinks.
Maybe i stated it wrong and just wrote dribble but i was trying to say that blokes like you and I are willing to pay the money, but to the average guy out here drinking Tooheys or VB, do you think they will be willing to take a chance on an extra $2 (sorry, two fucken bucks, lol) I think not. And if they don't sell enough of it, they will just replace it with something else. I hope it stays there forever though, thats the only reason i go to Panthers, it now has the best beer and restaurants in the area, a great spot for a beer. I've even heard Squires might be putting a microbrewery there like the one they had on King St Wharf, but could be just a rumour?
I too remember O'Ds having good beer, sadly the only 'Irish' thing about it is the name and having Guinness!

Those seasoned Toohey's or VB drinkers generally wouldn't buy a Squire's over their normal drop, even if it was slightly cheaper.

Most of them drink that crap due to familiarity and image (image being that of the "common", "real" Aussie bloke - and not some fancy poof).

It's a more expensive beer to make, it should probably be a little more expensive to buy.

Midnight Brew said:
"How about we dont go away next time. We'll just give you some money to put on beers and food and we'll go to your house. With the money we save we could spend it all on cocaine and hookers"
Ah man, I miss the old 'coke and hookers' party. Invite me the next time you're organising one.

Back