James Squire Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Galena as a bittering hop in mine as a general rule (just noticed Ross has Magmun back in stock :D ). I did this for economy once so I had enough Cascade and Amarillo for flavour and aroma and have never gone back.

I know this is getting off topic but apart from fresh POR hops that I use for bittering lagers I honestly cannot taste any difference between using low or high AA hops except the former costs more to get targeted IBU.

JS use Super Alpha for bittering GA

After a little help with hop additions for this one. I only have 25g Amarillo left, but i have heaps of cascase, tettnang, POR, northern brewer, saaz, magnum and southern cross. Ive just been down to my LHBS and he diddnt have any Amarillo. What should i use?

Cheers

Paul

Here's my version. On of the best extracts ive made to date. Now ive jumped ship to AG i think i may be re-jigging the recipe to suit. Awseome Amarillo on the nose with a great pillowy head retention. The SAF-04 made a big difference to the beer, helps make a great clone yet individual in its own right.

Note: I had a very cloudy ferment, gave it some finings to clear her out. That is if you want yours golden like a fireburst and not like you have cataracts. :D

Golden Ale Clone
American Wheat

Batch Size: 22.00 L

Boil Size: 12.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Dry Extract (5.0 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.50 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.0 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S-04 (Fermentis) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBU Calories: 496 cal/l
Est Color: 17.2 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 0.65 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

speaking of which, have you 're-jigged' this recipe for an all grain brew yet?

speaking of which, have you 're-jigged' this recipe for an all grain brew yet?

Yes, yes i have!

I upped the caramel a little to make it 'My own" rather than a direct clone. I'd drop the Caramalt to 2% and sub it into the base/wheat if you want it more to style of a clone. Mine was slighty sugary sweet from the caramalt which i like (still very very tasty).

Oh, i'd also chage the water modifications (for my base water) to 2g CaCl in the mash and 4g CaSO4 into the boil. Give the hops a little more voice! Of course, you can go without! ;)

Cheers! :beerbang:

Golden Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/07/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 67.3 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.2 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.05 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.4 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [7.80%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 30.1 IBU
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 71.8 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 97.7 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
10 min @ whirlpool
0 min @ 70deg in cube.

add 1tsp gypsum and 1/2 tsp of chalk to the mash
1tsp gypsum to the boil kettle

Yes, yes i have!

I upped the caramel a little to make it 'My own" rather than a direct clone. I'd drop the Caramalt to 2% and sub it into the base/wheat if you want it more to style of a clone. Mine was slighty sugary sweet from the caramalt which i like (still very very tasty).

Oh, i'd also chage the water modifications (for my base water) to 2g CaCl in the mash and 4g CaSO4 into the boil. Give the hops a little more voice! Of course, you can go without! ;)

Cheers! :beerbang:

Golden Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/07/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 67.3 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.2 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.05 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.4 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [7.80%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 30.1 IBU
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 71.8 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.00 L of water at 97.7 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
10 min @ whirlpool
0 min @ 70deg in cube.

add 1tsp gypsum and 1/2 tsp of chalk to the mash
1tsp gypsum to the boil kettle

looks good
also i know nothing about water modifications... are you using tap water? how much different is the water going to be fom abbotsford to ivanhoe? probably hard to tell :huh:
use the same additives or just not use them?

looks good
also i know nothing about water modifications... are you using tap water? how much different is the water going to be fom abbotsford to ivanhoe? probably hard to tell :huh:
use the same additives or just not use them?

Tap water and differences are marginal. Im on city west water and you are on yarra valley water, only difference is the major catchment from memory. If you want to use the water modifications you can, otherwise you can forget about them and still make a kickass beer with no issues. (if it was a stout or something else dark i'd strongly suggest you adjust the water profile for your mash but thats for another topic)

As i said earlier, if going for the water mods add 2g Calcium Chloride into the MASH, 4g Calcium Sulfate into the boil kettle and forget what i have in the recipe. If you BIAB, put them all in with the mash.

Cheers Les! :icon_chickcheers:

bconnery posted a partial recipe on another forum - Link

My last kit beer was a golden ale 'clone'

1 tin Coopers Sparkling ale
1 tin Coopers wheat malt extract
20g amarillo @ 10, 5 and dry hop
US56

Easy drinking ale. I have an AG version waiting to be kegged.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Sorry lads, im totally new to brewing at home so sorry if its a dumb question.
I quite like jsga myself and this looks to be the easiest/hardest to stuff up recipe i can find. The only thing is, i'm not sure what to do with the hops. My first brew i just used the extract kit and nothing foregin. How do you add the hops and what does 20g @ 10,5 and dry hop mean??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Bootleg(im in a cast for the next few months!)

Sorry lads, im totally new to brewing at home so sorry if its a dumb question.
I quite like jsga myself and this looks to be the easiest/hardest to stuff up recipe i can find. The only thing is, i'm not sure what to do with the hops. My first brew i just used the extract kit and nothing foregin. How do you add the hops and what does 20g @ 10,5 and dry hop mean??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Bootleg(im in a cast for the next few months!)

Ok, so rather than dumping everything into the fermenter, adding hot water to dissolve we need to do a small boil first.

Pour half the tin of wheat malt into a saucepan, the bigger the better but 4L is probably the minimum.

Top up with ~2-3L water.

Bring to the boil.

Add 20g of amarillo.

After 5 mins, add another 20g.

After another 5 mins turn the heat off.

Dump this into your fermenter along with the rest of the extract and the tin of sparkling ale.

Top up to 20L with cold water.

Once temp is ~20C pitch the yeast (US56 which is now US05). Dont use the kit yeast.

The dry hopping means that after the fermentation has finished/slowed down (airlock bubbling slows right down and/or stops) open the fermenter and throw in another 20g of amarillo. You dont need to sanitise them. Wait another 7 days and then bottle as normal.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Once temp is ~20C pitch the yeast (US56 which is now US05). Dont use the kit yeast.

The dry hopping means that after the fermentation has finished/slowed down (airlock bubbling slows right down and/or stops) open the fermenter and throw in another 20g of amarillo. You dont need to sanitise them. Wait another 7 days and then bottle as normal.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Sorry to bug you again mate, is 20c the optimum temp to ferment at with the US05?
Thanks again!
Rob

Sorry to bug you again mate, is 20c the optimum temp to ferment at with the US05?
Thanks again!
Rob

US05 is a really clean fermenting yeast. It brings out the flavours of what's in the beer. Be it cloying malt falvours or rensiny hop flavours. Get your balance right and US05 will help you out. The reason for a lower temp is to avoid unwanted esters created at higher temps. Between 18 - 20 will get you that sweet spots of esters and flocculation.

Ordered an Old at my local bowlo last night. Best thing on offer. Stood there thinking they should have a feature beer. When I walked around the bar, there's Golden Ale on the other side. Barman said is his braindead way "duh.. yeah, it's the beer of the month".
The Old still went down well, as it always does.

bconnery posted a partial recipe on another forum - Link

My last kit beer was a golden ale 'clone'

1 tin Coopers Sparkling ale
1 tin Coopers wheat malt extract
20g amarillo @ 10, 5 and dry hop
US56

Easy drinking ale. I have an AG version waiting to be kegged.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Quick question, i'm six days into fermenting this clone. But when doing hydromometer readings the beer smells overpoweringly fruity. Will priming and conditioning take some of that away?? It smells more like a damn kids fruit juice than the delicious JSGA that im after!
Any help or advice out there????

Quick question, i'm six days into fermenting this clone. But when doing hydromometer readings the beer smells overpoweringly fruity. Will priming and conditioning take some of that away?? It smells more like a damn kids fruit juice than the delicious JSGA that im after!
Any help or advice out there????

I suggest what you smell now isn't what your finished product in the glass will taste like. Have faith grasshopper. You got great advice from great homebrewers here, run with it.

RDWHAHB ...........................since you're a noobie......Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew!

Is this confirmed Screwy? I have read on here somewhere they use POR???

I spoke to one of the workers from Squires on a food matching night we did and they use Super Alpha for bittering the golden and amber ale.

Cheers

Back