James Squire Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS gave me us-05 saying it was formerly us-56, which is what I was after. Have I been swindled?

Hazz

Your LHBS is correct. They changed its name.
Cheers
Steve

I know this is a tiny bit of topic and pretty sure it's being mentioned before.... BUT Im a little upset.

I have not had a JSGA out of a bottle for quite some time... but the first time I did I LOVED IT... That was when it was a limited addition. I drank it all that Summer.

This has happened before but I thought I would give it another go just last week at the Norfolk I had a pint of JSGA... I know it's a low carbed beer but it seemed flat and really really bland I could not pick up on Amarillo at all. I could only drink half a pint... This is the third time this has happened and only from the tap....

I know this is a tiny bit of topic and pretty sure it's being mentioned before.... BUT Im a little upset.

I have not had a JSGA out of a bottle for quite some time... but the first time I did I LOVED IT... That was when it was a limited addition. I drank it all that Summer.

This has happened before but I thought I would give it another go just last week at the Norfolk I had a pint of JSGA... I know it's a low carbed beer but it seemed flat and really really bland I could not pick up on Amarillo at all. I could only drink half a pint... This is the third time this has happened and only from the tap....

Like many popular JS ales, it's moved production out of Camperdown. Might be something to do with extra volume for the Qantas cans?? Anyway, it now tastes like Tooheys New that has had a single Amarillo flower jammed in the transfer hose between the heat exchanger and the fermenter. Shame really.

Like many popular JS ales, it's moved production out of Camperdown. Might be something to do with extra volume for the Qantas cans?? Anyway, it now tastes like Tooheys New that has had a single Amarillo flower jammed in the transfer hose between the heat exchanger and the fermenter. Shame really.

Ive never tasted Tooheys New. It's very much a shame something that was so so good now undrinkable to ME anyhow! Without sounding to naive what about out of the bottles????

Last bottle of this I had was months ago at Scotty's. It had a SA address for the brewery! I no longer buy it.

Not exactly.
I meant that what he had was the same yeast, that US-56 had been renamed, so he hadn't been ripped off.
I didn't know it had been rebranded US-05, I thought it had followed the other fermentis naming, s-23 etc.
Mine all comes from craftbrewer as american ale yeast so I haven't actually seen the packet...

Regardless, it is the same dried yeast, whatever the name.
Sorry for the confusion :)

Ahh, but when some move out, others move back. The pils is back at Camperdown and it is wonderful.

Not exactly.
I meant that what he had was the same yeast, that US-56 had been renamed, so he hadn't been ripped off.
I didn't know it had been rebranded US-05, I thought it had followed the other fermentis naming, s-23 etc.
Mine all comes from craftbrewer as american ale yeast so I haven't actually seen the packet...

Regardless, it is the same dried yeast, whatever the name.
Sorry for the confusion :)

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/30-10_product_hb.asp

daniel

Went to Como pub and there was JSGA on tap.
It is a beer that hasn't really tickled the right spot yet but must admit it is a beer that can take the mega swill drinker to the other side.
So I believe I will attempt one of these soon.
Here is my tasting note on JSGA.

Nice offwhite head that remains to the bottom of the glass.
Slightly more colourful then the ordinary mega swill.
Mild aroma that entwines with the tart finish.
Very similar tasting note but without the finish.
Initially it is like dipping your tongue in mild dishwashing water but transcends into a sweet aromatic mellow citric hit and light to medium body finnish but Zero after taste.

I have gone from thinking it is carbonate water with late some hop in and some steeped grain to thinking this one is actually a descent drop.

It is almost a withdrawn attempt on making an APA that turned into a golden ale.
No doubt that 30% wheat makes this beer and not the hops.
All the twang in this comes from the wheat and the Amarillo is only there to remind you of its existence.

I like the tartness and the hop but would really enjoy a fuller version.
Still i'll work it and see how my current APA turns out before i burn this one down in flames.
JSGA is a good beer and even a Tooheys new drinker enjoys it. ;)

JSGA is a good beer and even a Tooheys new drinker enjoys it.
Give it another 6-8 months and it likely won't matter which one they order, either :)

Went to Como pub and there was JSGA on tap.
It is a beer that hasn't really tickled the right spot yet but must admit it is a beer that can take the mega swill drinker to the other side.
So I believe I will attempt one of these soon.
Here is my tasting note on JSGA.

Nice offwhite head that remains to the bottom of the glass.
Slightly more colourful then the ordinary mega swill.
Mild aroma that entwines with the tart finish.
Very similar tasting note but without the finish.
Initially it is like dipping your tongue in mild dishwashing water but transcends into a sweet aromatic mellow citric hit and light to medium body finnish but Zero after taste.

I have gone from thinking it is carbonate water with late some hop in and some steeped grain to thinking this one is actually a descent drop.

It is almost a withdrawn attempt on making an APA that turned into a golden ale.
No doubt that 30% wheat makes this beer and not the hops.
All the twang in this comes from the wheat and the Amarillo is only there to remind you of its existence.

I like the tartness and the hop but would really enjoy a fuller version.
Still i'll work it and see how my current APA turns out before i burn this one down in flames.
JSGA is a good beer and even a Tooheys new drinker enjoys it. ;)

I dont mind it, particularly seeing as its quite widely available on tap now, it makes a good alternative to the Aussie standard lager on tap at most pubs

If only they published their brew schedules, I'd know when to stake a lobster on a 6 pack.

Dig posted some great info on the beeradvocate forums about how to read the brewery code on the side of the bottle. Once you know that it's easy to identify which JS brews come from Camperdown. The key is to look for the code "15" written near the best before date.

Here is the thread with the detail:

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1161279

Hey Katie,
After reading this thread I decided to have a JS Golden here in Sydney. I too am a fan - or should that be ex-fan. I had it off the tap at the Bank Hotel Newtown. Yep, its gone all bland and boring. No more punch. The Pilsener was still very good though.
mckenry

Latest posts

Back