James Squire Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest what you smell now isn't what your finished product in the glass will taste like. Have faith grasshopper. You got great advice from great homebrewers here, run with it.

RDWHAHB ...........................since you're a noobie......Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew!

Hehe, appreciate all the help boys! maybe the best advice so far was to relax and have a home brew! Consider it done!

JS Golden Ale V1
2.2Kgs of Unhopped Pale LME
1Kgs of Unhopped Wheat LME
0.25Kgs Crystal malt - steeped for 20mins
22gms POR @ 60mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 10mins
12gms Amarillo (8.4%) @ 0mins
15gms Amarillo (8.4%) Dry Hopped in secondary for 7 days
US-56
20L batch

Begin by steeping crystal malt in 2 Litres of water at around 70C. Steep for 20 minutes. Once the 20 mins are almost up, start to boil the Pale LME in 4Litres of water. Strain the steeped crystal wort into the boil.
Add the hop additions and 10 mins before the end of the boil add the Wheat LME.
Ferment at approx 18C.

Hey Citymorgue2, i'd like to say thanks a heap for posting your recipe (and you too Bconnery), been a huge help! I've been brewing up this recipe over and over again and it's always popular! hard to keep up with demand, i tell you..

Just wondering about some of the finer details at the final stages..

I live in a flat and have very little space, so I steep in one 4lt pot and boil in a 8lt pot.

I'm following the recipe but I'm unsure if my changes will affect the flavour significantly..

Will straining out the Hop matter change the flavour? Will I be missing out on all the aroma?
Will leaving the wort to cool in the large pot change the timing since it's in hot water for an extra hour?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Here's my version. On of the best extracts ive made to date. Now ive jumped ship to AG i think i may be re-jigging the recipe to suit. Awseome Amarillo on the nose with a great pillowy head retention. The SAF-04 made a big difference to the beer, helps make a great clone yet individual in its own right.

Note: I had a very cloudy ferment, gave it some finings to clear her out. That is if you want yours golden like a fireburst and not like you have cataracts. :D

Golden Ale Clone
American Wheat

Batch Size: 22.00 L

Boil Size: 12.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Dry Extract (5.0 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.50 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.0 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S-04 (Fermentis) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBU Calories: 496 cal/l
Est Color: 17.2 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 0.65 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

Hey Guys, this is my first shot at using some hops and grain in combination with extracts.

I put this down yesterday on my day off. At the end of the boil I cooled the wort pot down in the sink and then poured it in to the fermenter. I poured it in through a sterilized piece of swisse voile to sieve the hops off. I then tied off the voile into a bag and dropped it in the fermenter.

Should I have thrown the hops away at this point, or was I right to drop them in? it is bubbling away happily now in the fermenter so I just hope I havent screwed up the hopping!!! I plan on doing the dry hop in a few days after the primary ferment has run it course.

cheers
Shane
:kooi:

No idea where you got the idea to hop like that. Never heard of anyone doing that before. I doubt it will impact your beer negatively - I usually just pour the lot in my fermenter and let it settle down to the bottom - nothing bad is happening because of it. In future, if you bother to strain (which maybe you shouldn't), don't chuck the hops in after. Once they have been used in the boil, your work is done. You only add hops post boil to dry hop, and that is with unboiled hops.

No idea where you got the idea to hop like that. Never heard of anyone doing that before. I doubt it will impact your beer negatively - I usually just pour the lot in my fermenter and let it settle down to the bottom - nothing bad is happening because of it. In future, if you bother to strain (which maybe you shouldn't), don't chuck the hops in after. Once they have been used in the boil, your work is done. You only add hops post boil to dry hop, and that is with unboiled hops.

Okay, thanks J.

I got to the end of the boil and had some hops spinning around at the top. Was afraid they could stray there and cause issues at bottling. I figured bagging them got best use of the hops with out the risk of screwing up clarity at the end. So in future, would it be right to say the hops are either left in the wort and passed in to the fermenter, or bagged for the boil and removed after?

Just took a whiff from the air lock and must say, it smells excellent! can't wait to get a to drinking time!

ditch the bag, they will be fine straight in.

mmmmmm commando.

I like my dry hops like i like my underwear....oh woops, i dont generally wear any. Unless im in a suit.
Freeballing in a suit is just fuckin weird.

Swim free little hop pellets, swim free.....

mmmmmm commando.

I like my dry hops like i like my underwear....oh woops, i dont generally wear any. Unless im in a suit.

cool cheers guys....hopefully drinkers of my beer wont end up with a "green hop dirty sanchez" next time!

mmmmmm commando.

I find suits okay... keeps it personal while remaining well dressed

...wearing footy shorts or playing sport commando is where things start to get a little freaky

Sponge

Just put this one down and I'm quite keen to taste it.

1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg light malt (Morgans pale lager)

12g Amarillo hops steeped for 6mins then added to the wort

Safale US 05 yeast

I haven't added the packet of yeast that came with the Coopers can, is this correct?

Second, with it being quite warm at the moment, is leaving it in the room (A/C @ 25) going to be ok, or should I put it in the fridge to bring it down to 18 ish?

Well, after 2 weeks in the bottle we tried it. The Mrs loves it and the brew is nearly gone!!

I have some aside to age but gee it worked out nicely.

Back