It's... the 2014 Extra Special Brewers Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted two entries today. Gotta love the illusion of Express Post at Oz Post. $1 extra for 'express delivery'.......

Sent mine off today. This'll be my first comp entry, sent in one of my better American Pale's, so can't wait for some feedback!

Sent mine away today. Looking forward to the feedback.

Just a reminder that the entries must be in at The Brew Shop Peakhurst before 4 pm Saturday, tomorrow.
If you wish to judge/steward please PM me if you haven't already. It will at ESB Lorraine St Peakhurst, hoping to start at 9 am. Coffee/tea biscuits supplied, pizza lunch, significant appreciation will be given.

What's the nearest train station to Lorraine St, much of a walk?

Bribie G said:
What's the nearest train station to Lorraine St, much of a walk?
Either Mortdale or Riverwood. Probably a 20 minute walk from either.
There is a bus that goes near there though.

No problem. 20 min walk there, 20 min stagger back :p
I'll be bringing a non brewing mate but I expect he'll be fine for stewarding, glass washing, back rubs or whatever required.

I reckon your best options are walking from Riverwood (2km) or Mortdale (2.7km), or jumping on a M91 bus from Hurstvillle/Padstow/Bankstown/Parramatta station with 600m walk (alight Henry Lawson Drive/Forest Rd intersection).

Is there anyone else coming by public transport?

Hi Everyone,

Well it's a big thanks to ESB Brewing Supplies for providing the judging venue yesterday. Unfortunately the aircon seemed to be out of action!

So it's an even bigger thanks to those brave souls who judged and stewarded, the 89 entries (including 12 meads), yesterday

And the winners are ... in the attached file

Thanks to all of you who entered, score sheets and gift certificates, as appropriate, will be mailed next week.

Cheers

P1

View attachment 140713 ESB 2014 Comp Results.pdf

Huge thank you to ESB, P1 and Barry for their organisation and coordination, and to the judges/stewards who gave up their time to freeze their butts off!

Congrats to all placegetters!

Chris

wahoo third in meads.
id ike to that the two who struggled through the many and varied version that were presented

A big thanks to all involved, really appreciated! My Brew Shop shopping basket is filling quickly.

Thanks to all involved.
Can I ask how the 1st 2nd 3rd works?

For example - Colin Batt (congrats all round Colin) won 1st place in the American Brown class with 42.5.
I assume Andrew Hammond won the American Pale Ale class and
Barry Cranston won the American IPA class.
Why is Matt Starr included? Did he come 2nd in American Pale Ale and equal third overall in the American Group?

I find it strange that one from each class could make up 1st 2nd 3rd? Or is it that simple, that the highest 3 scoring beers are the place getters is that group?
So, please dont get me wrong - I have a $50 voucher coming my way :) I just wonder if there could have been (e.g. English class) someone sitting on 40.0 and someone else on 39.5, between Damian Casey and Cameron James, but they brewed Brown Porters, so dont get a look in, for the English group at all?

Edit - what is the significance of Cameron James being in black and bold?

Ok to answer your questions

On the sheet there are 3 columns for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and there are 4 rows for each of the competition groupings A B C and D

So using Group B American as an example Colin was first, Andrew was second and Barry and Matt tied for third. Similarly read left to right for the other groups A, C and D for scores and placings.

As for Cameron and font colours it looks fine on my screen!

Hope this explanation helps

P1

mckenry said:
Thanks to all involved.
Can I ask how the 1st 2nd 3rd works?

For example - Colin Batt (congrats all round Colin) won 1st place in the American Brown class with 42.5.
I assume Andrew Hammond won the American Pale Ale class and
Barry Cranston won the American IPA class.
Why is Matt Starr included? Did he come 2nd in American Pale Ale and equal third overall in the American Group?

I find it strange that one from each class could make up 1st 2nd 3rd? Or is it that simple, that the highest 3 scoring beers are the place getters is that group?
So, please dont get me wrong - I have a $50 voucher coming my way :) I just wonder if there could have been (e.g. English class) someone sitting on 40.0 and someone else on 39.5, between Damian Casey and Cameron James, but they brewed Brown Porters, so dont get a look in, for the English group at all?

Edit - what is the significance of Cameron James being in black and bold?

barls said:
wahoo third in meads.
id ike to that the two who struggled through the many and varied version that were presented
Barls, sounds like you've had too much mead today. I echo what I think are your sentiments: Congratulations to everyone that came out and made it through a long, freezing morning of judging. Massive thanks to Barry and P1 for organising everything.

Congratulations also to all fellow prize winners. Unexpected first in APAs! I tasted a few AIPAs which I reckon would have bested me if entered as APAs.

As for the colours - it seems to me that Cameron James is written in black font, as is Greg Lee's score (. Also, the text in the Group column is not showing up for Group B? That's all minor stuff anyway. Thanks for getting some preliminary results out so quickly!

Korev said:
Ok to answer your questions

On the sheet there are 3 columns for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and there are 4 rows for each of the competition groupings A B C and D

So using Group B American as an example Colin was first, Andrew was second and Barry and Matt tied for third. Similarly read left to right for the other groups A, C and D for scores and placings.

As for Cameron and font colours it looks fine on my screen!

Hope this explanation helps

P1
Thanks Korev, but not really.
I want to know if its possible that there could be multiple American Brown Ales between Colin Batt's first in American Brown at 42.5 and Andrew Hammonds American Pale at 41.0. i.e. did it have to be best in each category gets a place in the class?

mckenry said:
Thanks Korev, but not really.
I want to know if its possible that there could be multiple American Brown Ales between Colin Batt's first in American Brown at 42.5 and Andrew Hammonds American Pale at 41.0. i.e. did it have to be best in each category gets a place in the class?

Ah hopefully with you now - No - as all the Americans were in a group together so the highest scores across the whole grouping of APA, AIPA, ABA become 1st 2nd 3rd etc per the Competition Entry details.

P1

MCHammo said:
Barls, sounds like you've had too much mead today. I echo what I think are your sentiments: Congratulations to everyone that came out and made it through a long, freezing morning of judging. Massive thanks to Barry and P1 for organising everything.

Congratulations also to all fellow prize winners. Unexpected first in APAs! I tasted a few AIPAs which I reckon would have bested me if entered as APAs.

As for the colours - it seems to me that Cameron James is written in black font, as is Greg Lee's score (. Also, the text in the Group column is not showing up for Group B? That's all minor stuff anyway. Thanks for getting some preliminary results out so quickly!
Thanks for that yes the Group B should be labelled - B American.

P1

Korev said:
Ah hopefully with you now - No - as all the Americans were in a group together so the highest scores across the whole grouping of APA, AIPA, ABA become 1st 2nd 3rd etc per the Competition Entry details.

P1
OK cool. Thanks for that. Great to see then that nearly all styles picked up a gong! Any entries at all for Aussie Brown?

mckenry said:
OK cool. Thanks for that. Great to see then that nearly all styles picked up a gong! Any entries at all for Aussie Brown?

Latest posts

Back