It's... the 2014 Extra Special Brewers Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, all style guidelines are arbitrary so they can be judged, if you don't like the guidelines for a style, don't enter a beer in that style.

There's another thread for discussing what an Australian IPA style should involve.

Looking forward to the comp, will enter a few beers, great to get some feedback.

I didnt say anything about the conditions of entry.. Im perfectly OK with the ones listed.. but...

He said in his post "hops that have been developed by Australian hop growers"

that being the case Cluster, like Cascade as one not developed here, should not be permitted.. according to what he/they have said..

meh!!.. whateves man,

good beer can be made from those listed with or without Cluster or Cascade..

It is true that that Cluster is an American hop. However it was probably the main/a main bittering and often flavouring hop used in many ales and lagers brewed in Australia from the late 19th century to the mid 20th century when it was replaced with the "newly" developed POR. It is still the hop used in XXXX. If you try to recreate beers from Australia's past you will most likely need to use Cluster. It has a long and significant association with Australian brewing. However you can argue that it is different from the other hops listed and that is true. Cascade does not meet the Australian criteria in any sense. Any hop variety will be different depending on the region in which it is grown.
This is not national listed style requirement, just a boundary set for a club competition for one year.

Might be a dumb question but is it possible to enter into this NSW comp as a Victorian? Never entered a comp so not sure what the go is in regard to postage of beer etc.

nathanvonbeerenstein said:
Might be a dumb question but is it possible to enter into this NSW comp as a Victorian? Never entered a comp so not sure what the go is in regard to postage of beer etc.
Sorry, No mexicans.

nathanvonbeerenstein said:
Yes of course you can enter, the competition is open to all. I am not sure about posting beer other than making sure it is well packed. We have, in previous years, had entries from Qld and intra state NSW so it should be possible.

Good luck

P1

Bribie G said:
Entry forms available yet?
Hi Bribie,

Thanks for the prompt, I will upload this years forms directly.

P1

So there are only rules for the Aussie beers? A vanilla porter would be acceptable, no?

Ruckus said:
So there are only rules for the Aussie beers? A vanilla porter would be acceptable, no?
To clarify the only permitted styles for our competition are per the entry criteria, see the first post in this thread.

So a Vanilla Porter would not be accepted or judged.

Cheers
P1

I understand that the Aussie IPA (A) must only use the Australian hops specified.

However, may I enter an American Pale Ale (7.1) which includes Aussie hops on that list, along with some American hops? Or alternatively and Aussie Pale Ale (6.5) which has both Aussie and American hops?

Thanks.

The three groups are Aussie, American, UK.

As I read the rules, only the Aussie IPA has to have exclusively Aussie Hops.

So you can put whatever you like in the others as long as they comply with BJCP style guidelines.

For example many UK breweries are now using a dash of US hops and I'd guess something like NZ Motueka would go well in many APAs. So for the others apart from the IPA the hops don't have to be country specific.

Bribie G said:
The three groups are Aussie, American, UK.

As I read the rules, only the Aussie IPA has to have exclusively Aussie Hops.

So you can put whatever you like in the others as long as they comply with BJCP style guidelines.

For example many UK breweries are now using a dash of US hops and I'd guess something like NZ Motueka would go well in many APAs. So for the others apart from the IPA the hops don't have to be country specific.
Bribie G has made the correct interpretation

Cheers
Peter

Good Day
If you are interested in judging and/or stewarding in the ESB comp, please PM Korev so he can organise the judging for the day.
Judging will at ESB Lorraine St Peakhurst (most likely) on Saturday 12th July. Usually starts at 8.30 am for 9 am start for judging. Pizza lunch provided.
See you there.

CORRECTION: Please PM me, Korev might have internet connection problems over the next few weeks.
So if you want be involved send me your details, it will be much appreciated.

Bump. Please if can judge/steward on the day (or part of the day)PM me.

Just a reminder, entries due at The Brew Shop, Peakhurst, on or before Saturday 5th July.

Posting mine tomorrow.

Any spots for stewards or (non BJCP qualified) judges on the Saturday?

If Allah spares me I'll be there - visiting a Sydney buddy on that exact weekend. PM if interested.

Mike

edit: just bothered to read your post. will PM hahaha

Latest posts

Back