It's... the 2014 Extra Special Brewers Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korev

Reaction score
Hi All,

The styles included this year are Aussie: PA, IPA, Brown Ale, British: ESB, IPA, Brown Porter, American: PA, IPA, Brown Ale, and for the first time MEAD. Meads will be judged per the BJCP guidelines.

We have our Aussie Brown Ale style returning from last year and are introducing a new Australian IPA style that must ONLY use nominated Australian Hops.

Full details are in the flyer - esb2014 v1.2,
Prizes are detailed in esb2014 prizes below, thanks to our Major Sponsor ESB Brewing Supplies.
The entry form will be uploaded on our website http://wp.me/p3dQUr-e nearer the closing date.

We NEED YOU to do YOUR duty and ENTER!!

The competition will be registered with the BJCP, so all you BJCP Judges can get in some practice and some points. Those of you who would like to judge mead may need to brush up (see http://www.bjcp.org/mead.php. ) and get some practice in. Non BJCP judges and stewards are as always very welcome.

Mark your calendars!! Entries close: Saturday 5 July 2014 Judging: Saturday 12 July 2014.

Good Luck

P1

View attachment esb2014 v1.2.pdf

View attachment esb2014 prizes.pdf

No - absolutely NO Cascade only the hops on the list. Brewers Code!!

P1

Brewers Code = that the brewers who enter in the Aussie IPA category will only use the hop types as listed in the competition flyer i.e. do the right thing!

P1

well it's listed in hop's.com site your just being picky,Explain WHY NOT it's allowed..

No I reiterate that the Australian hops are to be per the flyer for the Australian IPA style. This is in order to differentiate it from American IPA which is also a category.

Please have a look at the Australian IPA guideline in the flyer.

P1

The reasoning is from a style point of view. There are lots of commercial Australian IPA that use American C hops (e.g. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus ) and the style guidelines recognise this as an American IPA specific style. Which is a category that you can enter.

But, there are many new Australian varieties like Ella, Topaz, and Galaxy, to name a few, that can provide different flavours in beer e.g. citrus and/or tropical fruits. So the idea for the competition is to provide brewers the opportunity to experiment with these Australian hops in an IPA.

Hope this helps explain

Cheers
P1

Helga explain the breeding then...and remember how did hop rhizomes get here they where bought in from overseas B)

It's grown here when you will understand that..it can written Australian Cascade Only

Our focus on only certain types of Australian grown hops for the Australian IPA, as I have written above, is to provide a point of difference from the American IPA or English IPA styles.

American hops, like Cascade, or English hops, like Goldings or Fuggles even when grown in Australia, are catered for in American and English IPA styles respectively.

Cheers
P1

Gee..200years ago there was no hops in australia..how are hops breed..root stock bought here from where..I give up..all hops breed here are from imported stock's cross breeding and pollination including Australian cascade..there is no actual natural australian hop.and i dare you to prove it..and No New Zealand hops either....They're not Australian

I agree that hops are not indigenous to Australia. A debate on hops and breeding is probably best dealt with in a separate discussion.

As far as our competition in concerned, only the Australian grown hop varieties we have specified can be used when entering an Australian IPA.

P1

I like the idea of being limited to a specific set of hops. I am liking the results I am getting from Vic secret now after a couple of experiments. Good work on the style guideline. Do you have a commercial example? Something like the coopers celebration ale?

Cheers

Is it too early to volunteer as a steward?
Pending a day pass from SWMBO

bradsbrew said:
I like the idea of being limited to a specific set of hops. I am liking the results I am getting from Vic secret now after a couple of experiments. Good work on the style guideline. Do you have a commercial example? Something like the coopers celebration ale?
Cheers
Not had the Coopers. Bridge Road Brewers. Have single hop IPA for Galaxy, Summer, and Ella. Not tried them but might be an interesting starting point.

P1

Latest posts

Back